Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Is This Covered Under Warranty?

Today I cruised with the Lone Star Camaro Club and there were lots of pictures taken.

I couldn't help but notice the terrible discoloration between my front bumper and body.

Question is, does warranty cover this discoloration? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Fireman_af

Drives: 2012 Red M6 Camaro LS
You never noticed it till today in a photo? Is it the lighting angle or just as bad in person? If it is bad in person can't hurt to take it in and ask.

Current AFSC: Recruiter. Primary AFSC: Firefighter
Fireman_af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
No it is not covered. GM/Chevy decided that the paint mismatch was/is normal. See the link below to the TSB about the issue.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42941
Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman_af View Post
You never noticed it till today in a photo? Is it the lighting angle or just as bad in person? If it is bad in person can't hurt to take it in and ask.
I don't know to be honest. A lot of the pics I have taken in the past are head on or distorted with my lights being on.

Also, I took my car to a paint and body shop about a week ago for some estimates and the paint guy pointed the discoloration out to me and it has been nagging me since but it never looked as contrasting as it did today. Maybe it is a combination of poor painting and bad lighting.

Oh, and thank you mods for moving this thread; I had a feeling it was in the wrong spot
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
My '12 IBM is the exact same way, and it sure better be covered under warranty. Just a pain in the ass that we have to mess around getting this fixed.

That bulletin is for a perceived mismatch in the doors/quarters because of their angle to each other. This bumper fascia issue is an actual paint mismatch - very different issue. On the IBM it is way off if you look at it in the bright sun. The fascias have a different metallic, and are a lighter shade. The metallic that is in the body paint really pops and sparkles in the light, which is what the Xirallic metallic does. The fascia's metallic is completely different, seems like just the standard fine metallic, and not Xirallic. I'd bet the fascias use a different type of metallic, and the shade of blue is off also.

Why the fascia supplier can't match the paint any better in 3 model years is amazing. I've seen paint repairs on IBM where the first spray out is a perfect match.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
My 2010 IBM is the same. I actually noticed it the day I bought it. I can only see it under certain lighting, and it doesn't seem to bother me. I figure someday there will be enough paint chips, or I will plow into something and have it repainted anyway.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Russell James

Can the plant ship out some matching fascias? Since the car should have came with that to start with.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
I was told at a show how nice my car was then the guy points out how gm never matches the bumpers then he showed me how mine isnt a perfect match (gee thanks dude ) now I can notice it dam
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
It's not covered. And the reason for this is the plastic parts of the car have another additive in the painting process that makes the paint more flexible. The additive changes the color slightly. Look at any white car with a plastic bumper and metal body panels and you'll see it. It is most noticeable with lighter colors though. I'm surprised it showed up on your car.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
It's not covered. And the reason for this is the plastic parts of the car have another additive in the painting process that makes the paint more flexible. The additive changes the color slightly. Look at any white car with a plastic bumper and metal body panels and you'll see it. It is most noticeable with lighter colors though. I'm surprised it showed up on your car.
If that were true, how do all my other cars match the paint on the body to fascias? My other car
is a Chrystal Red Tintcoat, and the flexible fascias match perfectly.

It's called Quality Control. Paint tint can be tuned in, if someone is on top of QC to see it happen.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Definitely not true.
There are TONS of cars out there (including ones I've owned) with matching plastic and metal panels, that's a silly excuse if GM used that.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
transamguy

Drives: 10 camaro LT(syn)
the flex additive will slightly change the hue of the paint. the most common reason for the paint difference is simple the bumpers were not painted at the same time as the car, the flex does not help the situation though it would have been nice to have to whole car flexed like the vettes are i know the vettes are smc not metal but it does help with stone chips. also the only reason that everyone is seeing the difference is the vabriant shades of paint they use on our cars if you look closely at most other car makers there in the same boat just most other cars are a boring silver or beige
transamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
^apparently toyota & honda got it right on their new cars, and with less risk of paint chippage.
I don't see a reason why GM can't up the paint quality.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Not sure why this issue hasn't been addressed but it has existed from day one. My understanding is the facia is supplied to GM already painted and does not get painted on the car in their paint booth. Anytime parts get painted separately there is the risk of there being some difference in the color. Back in 2009 there was issues with the mirrors as well but I haven't heard of any issues with them lately.

When I took mine to have my stripes painted on, one of the guys in the shop immediately pointed out that the facia wasn't the same color. I smiled and jokingly said oh no, that's just the way the light is hitting the car, he laughed and said and that is what GM told you right?

How about this for obvious?

Name:  Prom Pics 011-2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  69.3 KB

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Send a message via MSN to edog
This has been beaten to death... It will not be covered and probably not worth the energy that is starting to churn here...
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
This has been beaten to death... It will not be covered and probably not worth the energy that is starting to churn here...
Wrong.

It has been covered. Paint is covered under the Bumper to Bumper warranty for defects in material or workmanship. Painting the fascias the wrong color is a defect. Seen it covered countless times when I worked in a dealership.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
im pretty sure its a time frame for it to be "covered" because u come back 6 months later and be like" hey there not the same color" after the sun, rain, and snow has beat it up saying repaint this i would think they would be like go kick rocks lol

all i can say is worse thing they can say is no
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Send a message via MSN to edog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Wrong.

It has been covered. Paint is covered under the Bumper to Bumper warranty for defects in material or workmanship. Painting the fascias the wrong color is a defect. Seen it covered countless times when I worked in a dealership.
You might want to look at the memo from GM on the issue from 2010. They will not cover it. Good luck though. I would love to know how it turns out.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
My rear bumper and gas cover are slightly off (darker) but I figure they will fade in sooner or later. No one else but me has ever noticed this, so I am OK with it.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
You might want to look at the memo from GM on the issue from 2010. They will not cover it. Good luck though. I would love to know how it turns out.
The bulletin is on a "perceived" mismatch between the doors and rear quarter panel. Which is truly a perception of being off due to the light angle, but those panels are in fact the exact same shade and were painted at the same time with the rest of the body.

The fascias are a different issue with an actual paint mismatch. Painted by a supplier, that apparently can't match the IBM paint master card very well.

That's called a defect, and my car is covered for defects.

If they don't want to fix it, my question would be - how important are JD Power scores to you. Survey just landed in my mailbox this week. If those scores are important, the plant can ship my dealer some fascias that match the car. Assuming that Oshawa and Chevrolet wants their new vehicles out there to be top quality.