Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
HULK10
Driving like a Maniac???

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Post Heater fan squeaks

I have a question, I have a 2010 V6 Camaro and everytime I turn on the heater the fan makes a noise when I put it on 1 or 2, my question is... Is this Normal or is something wrong with my fan? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
I have the same issue. It's one of those things where it's not large enough to cry over it, but not small enough to ignore altogether. I still go the latter route and just turn the music up more. Or I'll turn it up and turn it down to temporarily solve it.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
WildL16

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Mine does the exact same thing, just noticed it last week or two, plan on taking it in to see whats wrong soon.
WildL16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Our car just got dropped off at the dealer today for the squeeky A/C fan on low settings and the flutter/buffer sound that we hear periodically coming from the passenger door. We are 300 miles past the 3yr/36,000 bumper to bumper and they are fixing it for us under warranty with no concern being a few hundred miles over. It will be worked on tomorrow morning and we get the car back tomorrow afternoon.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Mine did it last month, had the fan assembly replaced at the dealership. All good now.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
goshawk823

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I have the same issue. mine comes and goes as well.

my understanding is that the fan is an integrated assembly and needs to be cut out, and the dash has to come off to get to it as well.

last time I checked, my dealer hadn't pulled a dash yet, and I don't want to be their guinea pig.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
HULK10
Driving like a Maniac???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I have the same issue. It's one of those things where it's not large enough to cry over it, but not small enough to ignore altogether. I still go the latter route and just turn the music up more. Or I'll turn it up and turn it down to temporarily solve it.
I agree with you but it still irks me knowing it makes that noise. Do you guys think it's normal in the Camaro?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Outlaw77

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS I.O.M. Camaro 6MT
I had mine replaced last fall and I can hear it coming back again lol! I don't think these hvac units are made with quality parts.

Maggie TVS 2300 SC / Kooks headers / Hi Flow Cats / Magnaflow CB / Roto Fab CAI / Dyno Tuned by Davenport Motorsports / BMR 1" lowering springs

Wheels: Rohana RC7 Metallic Gunmetal 20x10 f, 20x11 r, Super Deep Concave + 275/40, 315/35 Nitto Invos
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Yeah the only reason I haven't brought this by the dealer is A. I've been there too often for "little things" and B. I'm not so comfortable leaving my car there for a period of time since it's my DD.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
xVengeancex28

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
mine did this for the first couple of weeks after i picked it up, but hasnt had an issue since.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
HULK10
Driving like a Maniac???

I guess I'm going to take it to the dealer friday and have them check it out
Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
For those who haven't seen exactly where the fan is.......

I took this pic at the factory...and yes the dash has to come out.
Attached Images

67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
Getting mine repaired tomorrow under warranty. As for that pic .
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
CUPRA

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS - IOM/CGM Stripes
I had mine replaced under warranty as it was squeaking intermittently. The replaced the blower unit. Wasn't aware that they had to take the whole dash out to do it?!

2011 - 2SS/RS - IOM/CGM Stripes • CUPRA • Ordered: 4/10/2010 Mine: 7/1/2010 - 426BHP+CAI
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
My HVAC fan squeaks too. It doesn't matter if you have the heater or A/C on because the fan is before the heater core, ducts, etc. If anything, only the outside air would affect the fan. The fan is easy to see and touch if you remove the cabin filter. I thought about giving the fan a quick shot of WD-40 but you can't get to the bearing part due to the design of the fan. There's gotta be an easy way to fix this by going through the cabin filter hole instead of having someone disassemble the dash at the dealership....

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I'm sorry to see so many of you having this problem. I hope all of you taking your vehicles in are able to have a quick turn around on this and able to get out and enjoy your rides once more without this squeak to detract from the permagrin inducing ride of your Camaros. Let us know how things go for you all.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Same problem here, Now that it feels like spring here in memphis, windows come down and problem solved lol.
SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust / 22 Inch AAC Dynamic Scanner / Reverse Rally Stripes / LS badges (emblempros.com) / Gill Decals / Flat Black SS Rims / SS Rear Diffuser / Flat Black Spoiler / Heritage Grill / Custom Painted Tail Light Bezels / Custom Painted Engine Cover / Plati Dipped Trunk Lid

SGTMiller278CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: EB Expedition, 2010 2SS/RS M6
Noise with mine as well from day 1. Weighing the issue, I'd rather tolerate the noise than have someone tear out the dash and create more problems.
Nitrous Outlet Plate (progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, filter, console switches), LNC2000, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Scoop, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, TSW Nurb 18" 555 & 555R, Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods, Autometer wideband, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (int), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17 @ 112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
imperfectutopia

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS M6, RJT
I have it too... But i'm with Badbubba... Not sure if its worth all the hassle of dropping the car off, hoping that it squeaks for the service dept, if it doesnt (which it didnt last time i dropped it off), picking it back up, dropping off again.. etc.. and tearing the dash out, potentially messing other stuff up... Honestly, i have gotten so tired of going to the dealer for the so called "little things" I've just started accepting it's faults.. which I think is sad, 1, i don't think they should be considered "little things" at this price level and 2, I just dont have the time to take out of my workday that often for all these repeat visits to the dealer.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: EB Expedition, 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectutopia View Post
I have it too... But i'm with Badbubba... Not sure if its worth all the hassle of dropping the car off, hoping that it squeaks for the service dept, if it doesnt (which it didnt last time i dropped it off), picking it back up, dropping off again.. etc.. and tearing the dash out, potentially messing other stuff up... Honestly, i have gotten so tired of going to the dealer for the so called "little things" I've just started accepting it's faults.. which I think is sad, 1, i don't think they should be considered "little things" at this price level and 2, I just dont have the time to take out of my workday that often for all these repeat visits to the dealer.
Yep.
Nitrous Outlet Plate (progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, filter, console switches), LNC2000, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Scoop, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, TSW Nurb 18" 555 & 555R, Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods, Autometer wideband, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (int), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17 @ 112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
goshawk823

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectutopia View Post
same here.
I picture getting it back with scratches and squeaks in the dash where there are none now. I have clear armor over my radio face, and figure that would disappear as well.
Don't misunderstand me. I have not had any issues with my dealer, except they haven't done this repair before. My service manager did hear the squeal, and was wondering if something got stuck in the fan (like a leaf) that was causing it. It had gone away for a while, but now it's squeaking again. I also don't have the time to screw around with what's probably an overnight job, with no loaner (It's not a "unsafe to drive" issue, so I probably wouldn't get a loaner...).

And having to remove the dash to get to the fan sounds like they "chose poorly" in the design.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
I had mine replaced under warranty as it was squeaking intermittently. The replaced the blower unit. Wasn't aware that they had to take the whole dash out to do it?!

that's actually pretty common in cars nowadays. replacing a heater core can require that too in a lot of vehicles.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Check the discussion here.

The dash doesn't need to come out. A little bit of plastic is cut and the new fan is bolted in. Took an hour on mine.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5 Wheels w/PZeros, GM Perf. 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, CAI Intake & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats to Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax Ported TB, JRE Tune, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift Eliminator, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Polished Door Handles, Window Tint, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, AAC Concept Side Markers, Stealth Signals and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcard View Post
Check the discussion here.

The dash doesn't need to come out. A little bit of plastic is cut and the new fan is bolted in. Took an hour on mine.

Interesting,thank god the don't "have" to remove the dash.

I know there is no way around it if the heater core needs to be replaced.

The thought of cutting it up to access it is unnerving though as the seal is shot afterwards.

good luck everyone...mine doesn't squeek and hope it never does...knock on wood!
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
No, no. The only reason it has to be cut out is that the motor is molded into the housing by the supplier of the HVAC unit. It's just a few mounting tabs that need to be cut. No big deal. There is no damage to a "seal". There are a couple of manufacturers that have this issue. A good tech will be able to handle this no problem.

The thing that bothers me is that the supplier is still giving GM faulty motors to put in the cars.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5 Wheels w/PZeros, GM Perf. 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, CAI Intake & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats to Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax Ported TB, JRE Tune, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift Eliminator, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Polished Door Handles, Window Tint, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, AAC Concept Side Markers, Stealth Signals and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote