Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
jcAUss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
How to lubricate CAI air filter

Is there a specific product I need to buy to lubricate my air filter for my CAI filter? And also, how should I go about lubricating it? Thanks for any feedback.
jcAUss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
What brand CAI do you have? Also, what color is your air filter, blue or red?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
jcAUss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
It is Cold Air Inductions, and the color is red.
jcAUss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2012 Panamera
I have a red AirAid filter. I used K&N recharge kit. Easy process. Rinse, oil, rinse, spray, dry. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
CAI states explicitly to not use anything but their recharge kit. I have a K&N Recharge kit laying around my garage, and they said do not use that under any circumstance...it's not good for their filters and can cause problems.

Just passing on what I was told by CAI.
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
CAI states explicitly to not use anything but their recharge kit. I have a K&N Recharge kit laying around my garage, and they said do not use that under any circumstance...it's not good for their filters and can cause problems.

I thought I'd have a problem using another brand recharge kit, looked at the process and it's all the same. May just be saying that so you'd buy their recharge kit. I didn't have any problems, not that my experience is relevant, just saying if the OP's manufactures kit isn't available. I couldn't find an AirAid kit and didn't wanna wait for shipping. I'm gonna do it again this weekend. Good luck whenever you have to do it. Pray I don't have any problems.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Pain505

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
So using a recharge kit pretty much just clean's and refreshes the filter? Is it better to do that than to buy a new one?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain505 View Post
So using a recharge kit pretty much just clean's and refreshes the filter? Is it better to do that than to buy a new one?
Absolutely cleans the filter. In fact, makes it almost new again. The price of the recharge kit was less than $20. A new filter close to $30. I hope to get 3 recharges out of the kit before I need a new kit. That alone saves money. Good luck if you do it. It's easy, I did it while watching a football game. Was dry and back in before halftime.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
I've had my CAI, inc air intake for almost a year now. I guess it's time to do a recharge, so I just ordered the kit from CAI, inc.
rjdapilmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcAUss View Post
Is there a specific product I need to buy to lubricate my air filter for my CAI filter? And also, how should I go about lubricating it? Thanks for any feedback.
CAI has their own recharge kit. Here is a link to an article the Bill Hylton for CAI Inc. wrote for our blog discussing filter recharging.

How To Properly Clean And Re-oil An Oiled Filter
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
Here's a post from CAI on a thread I had posted about filters and whether or not to buy an extra one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4591510

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post

This is absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
I thought I'd have a problem using another brand recharge kit, looked at the process and it's all the same. May just be saying that so you'd buy their recharge kit. I didn't have any problems, not that my experience is relevant, just saying if the OP's manufactures kit isn't available. I couldn't find an AirAid kit and didn't wanna wait for shipping. I'm gonna do it again this weekend. Good luck whenever you have to do it. Pray I don't have any problems.
The process is the same, the blend of the oil is not. We have a kit available at the following link: http://www.coldairinductions.com/filter-recharge-kit

The kit is less than $14, by the time we buy it, have it packaged in our bottles, and shipped to us, we make about 14 cents profit LOL. Quite honestly if you could use another kit it would probably be easier for us to just reccomend another recharge kit. The reason we don't is because our filters are different and therefore require different oil.

The one customer who did not listen to me on this issue and used the one he had in the garage ended up needing a new filter, new MAF, had to thoroughly clean the tube and throttle body, and had a whole lot of headache because the oil for the kit he had did not properly soak in and dry to the filter pleats.

We sell hundreds of recharge kits a year and have never had an issue because it is specially formulated for the filter pleating we use. Typically 1 kit will get you 2 recharges, which is a lot of miles!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
V8Addict

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS Camaro
I was going to purchase this but your shipping charge is way overpriced ($13.23 for ground). No wonder you only charge $13.95 for the kit.
V8Addict is offline   Reply With Quote