Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
MauiSS

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2SS A6
Elite catch can and Vararam intake.

In not sure if I put this in the right thread or not but I put it in the DIY thread and didn't get any response so I figure I try Here. Aloha all, I know this question has been asked and answered to death but the problem I got is I've read more than one version on how to install both together. I just want to do it right the first time espicialy considering what happened to one of our members on here having his rear main seal blow out from the back pressure. I really don't want to run into a similar problem and would appreciate any assistance anyone can give me. Installing the intake is a no brainer, it's the catch can I'm a little lost over. I want to make sure the right hoses go to the right places. I think I also read somewhere that when installing a catch can and a cold air intake you cap off the inlet to the cold air intake where the rubber hose is suppose to connect is that correct? If that's true where does the hose connect to then? As you all can see I pretty confused with this one any help with pictures would be greatly appreciated. I don't usually post much but I read a lot of what you guys have to say cause you guys are just a wealth of information and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from you all. Thanks and sorry you the long post but I really need some insight.
MauiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSS View Post
...I think I also read somewhere that when installing a catch can and a cold air intake you cap off the inlet to the cold air intake where the rubber hose is suppose to connect is that correct?...
I've had the Vararam/Elite setup for two years, and I've never heard of this. Give me a little while, and I'll post up some pictures for you.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
You aren't going to blow out a seal with the Elite, even if you were to hook it up backwards. There is nothing in that catch can that could create a blockage.

Also you aren't going to cap off anything. Capping off the fresh air side of the PCV system is done when adding a valve cover breather.

Center fitting goes to the valley cover and fitting on the side of the can goes to the intake manifold (LS3) All it is is an inline filter.

If you follow Elite's instructions for the L99 you should be fine. There are a lot of install pictures on here as well.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
...Center fitting goes to the valley cover and fitting on the side of the can goes to the intake manifold (LS3) All it is is an inline filter.

If you follow Elite's instructions for the L99 you should be fine. There are a lot of install pictures on here as well.
The center fitting goes to the valve cover on the O.P.'s L99.

Still working on the pictures.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Here you go:
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

One more:
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
IndeedSS1

^^^ nice work showing the layout

Just for clarity of flow, the inlet of the can is the top and outlet is the side.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
MauiSS

kmcd and IndeedSS1, thank you both for your replies, I get it now, I appreciate the help. It's good to hear that you got no problems with this setup, I will be doing it as soon as it arrives. I believe problem with the leaking rear seal was with the RX catch can that one of the members on here was having. I'm not sure how that turned out but I hope he got it all resolved. Again, thank you guys very much for your help.

Mahalo and Aloha from Hawaii
Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
^^^ nice work showing the layout

Just for clarity of flow, the inlet of the can is the top and outlet is the side.
Thanks. And you're right about the flow. My labels are correct, but confusing.
The flow on the L99 is out from the valve cover, then into the upper fitting on the can - out from the lower fitting on the can, then into the intake manifold.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
Thanks. And you're right about the flow. My labels are correct, but confusing.
The flow on the L99 is out from the valve cover, then into the upper fitting on the can - out from the lower fitting on the can, then into the intake manifold.
I knew what you meant but was worried someone new may misunderstand. Pictures like you posted really takes the guess work of the process.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
MauiSS

Ok I'm a little confused, both of the instructions say to connect it to the PCV valve and I know that can't be right, what am I not getting?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
OP, you are correct, it was an RX can, not an Elite. Funny, I was just reading that thread yesterday.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
Here is a picture of my Elite Catch Can. I painted the bracket red after this picture.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote