Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Borla Exhausts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
j.curt

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 6 Spd Manual
Dragstrip tips on stock tires

Can anyone take a look at this and give some tips besides the obvious one that apparently I'm not as good as driver that I thought I was lol. I am driver 4808b. This was my first time on a track. Despite the bad times, I had a blast and will be doing it again next month.

Current mods are CAI, long tube headers, ported TB. I could not get any traction off the line. I tried launching at different RPM's and kept getting the same result. Tires are stock with about 19,500 miles.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
GreenAppleLS3

Drives: Synergy Green SS Camaro 6 speed
Were you dumping the clutch? And was is just cooking or was it hooking and bogging almost down to idle? I was running a 8.279 with a 2.1 60 foot @90. On all season nitto motivos. You should be rolling the clutch out once the third light goes on then get on it.
GreenAppleLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
GreenAppleLS3

I dont see how your trapping 110 in the 1/4 while trapping 81 in the 1/8
Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
j.curt

No idea what that means lol. I wasn't dumping the clutch. I found out real quick that dumping the clutch added a second to the time. I was letting the clutch out slowly which was probably burning it up. I wasn't letting the clutch go on the yellow but I don't think the time started until you passed the line.

If you look at this picture, the other car left 3 seconds after the light and ran 12.9. I crossed the finish line before him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAppleLS3 View Post
I dont see how your trapping 110 in the 1/4 while trapping 81 in the 1/8
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
GreenAppleLS3

Yes but you get a 1 foot roll out which makes a big difference on your 60 foot which changes youe 1/4mile by alot. .100 on the 60 foot is .200 on your 1/4 time
Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
GreenAppleLS3

I was running a 8.9 at 88 with 2.
4 or 2.6 60 foot once i figured out the launch it was all down hill from there.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
j.curt

Thanks for the advice. I will try that next month.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I would rev to 2500 put the clutch to where its fixing to grab and hold it. Once you're ready release the clutch and then get on the gas.that's my way and I don't spin. I have your mods plus 3.91's on nitto invos
camarosspower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
j.curt

That is pretty much exactly what I was doing except I had to ride the clutch to keep tires from spinning so bad. I have the stock Pirelli tires. What is your average time? Being we have the same mods besides the gears, what should my average time be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I would rev to 2500 put the clutch to where its fixing to grab and hold it. Once you're ready release the clutch and then get on the gas.that's my way and I don't spin. I have your mods plus 3.91's on nitto invos
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #10
camarosspower

I'll probably go tomorrow to try to break my pb. So far my best is 12.7@114 with a 2.2 60'
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
j.curt

I am hoping to run low 13's. If I get better on the launch, I should have no problem. I am ending the quarter mile at 109-110 MPH.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 AM   #12
camarosspower

Idk why you are still spinning if you're launching like me. Maybe a little slower on the clutch and don't on the gas until you are moving and not spinning. Practice. Know your sweet spot.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:05 AM   #13
mongooseboy000

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
Can anyone take a look at this and give some tips besides the obvious one that apparently I'm not as good as driver that I thought I was lol. I am driver 4808b. This was my first time on a track. Despite the bad times, I had a blast and will be doing it again next month.

Current mods are CAI, long tube headers, ported TB. I could not get any traction off the line. I tried launching at different RPM's and kept getting the same result. Tires are stock with about 19,500 miles.
I have same mods minus ported TB. my best time has been a 12.9 @113. cut a 1.9 60' but it was pretty hot out.Basically our cars are a Pain too launch best way is seat time. Especially us M6 guys. air the tires down to 24 psi and work your way down until you get a decent launch. for me it's 22psi. we have very low fluid pressure so our cars don't like slipping the clutch, it sticks to ground, however thats the best way to do it. don't launch at anything over 2.8k or your clutch will stick immediately. Go around the water box and back in until the rear of your back tires barely touch the water. you want to clean them off so a quick burnout 5 seconds tops and let it go. Pull up to the 1st set of lights. (tricky part now) either get a 2 step or watch your rpms. bring them up to 2.2-2.5k. inch forward to next set of lights, however press the clutch just to the point before it starts to grab. so maybe 3/4 7/8 the way down. after the tree drops on last yellow release majority of clutch but leave about 25% engage. you will feel the car leap forward with little wheelspin. once it hooks let the rest go and roll into the throttle. don't shift to high on the 1-2 because the 2nd gear spin slows you down. maybe 6.2k. 2-3 and on shift however you want. I learned most of this from the ranger acceleration techniques. with practice you get better. Lastly, don't race the next guy, always tell your self you are racing yourself if not you will miss gears lol.

[IMG][/IMG]

also look at trailing arms and toe rods. need to adress our wheelhop issue 1st. cheap and inexpensive mods that do a ton for our suspension.
mongooseboy000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:55 AM   #14
j.curt

So basically the 60' time is the make or break time. I'm getting the speed at the end but the 60' time is horrible. I was averaging mid to high 2's. If I can get this time to a low 2 or high 1, I should be able to run low 13's.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #15
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Take an air compressor and drop tire pressure to 24-26 psi. Play with your rpm's from 1500-2500 and get aggressive with the clutch. You can get 1.6x on the 20" p-zeros once you get used to what the clutch likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk