Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Build/Get a LS? Built

I acquired a project recently and think a Ls motor would suit my desires.

I may just rebuild the Olds 455 that comes with it, buy a crate 454, or this.

I saw the LS376 on ebay for $6,600.

I think I will have about 4 or 5 in the olds and plan on running a t56 anyway.

Now my thought is to get a LS motor and convert it to a carb'd motor. Should I buy that crate motor when the time comes, get one built by a shop, or just build one myself?

I really don't want to spend a ton on it, and so the cheaper the better, but still don't want to compromise strength.

I am looking for somewhere around a 4-500 hp motor.

Thanks!
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Jason 98 TA


 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,361
We can really help you on this project. We do tons
Of retrofit stuff and even have a few options ready to go. I personally did a 427 ls7 for my 55 Chevy. We have a nice 6.0l here priced very attractively for retrofit guys, but a 455 ls7 would sure be sweeeeet
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
We can really help you on this project. We do tons
Of retrofit stuff and even have a few options ready to go. I personally did a 427 ls7 for my 55 Chevy. We have a nice 6.0l here priced very attractively for retrofit guys, but a 455 ls7 would sure be sweeeeet
Haha I don't think a 455 ls7 would fit the budget. It sure would be sweet though!
I really don't need to go too crazy....
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Would it really make sense to carb an LS motor?

The only reason is because I would like my shaker on my trans am to "shake"
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Well I think I have made up my mind to set a goal for.... just a 6.0 iron block truck motor.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
2SSRSinBama

 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: "The Shoals" Alabama
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Would it really make sense to carb an LS motor?

The only reason is because I would like my shaker on my trans am to "shake"

a lot of people carb LS engines, especially the Iron Block 6.0s from the Silverados, which is really not in the LS family, but a close relative.... those are some bad ass blocks to build, tough as nails and can actually HOLD boost... which I know you aren't looking for, but if were ever going to boost a Camaro, that is what i'd start with

but there are still many carb'd aluminum LS engines
__________________

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
a lot of people carb LS engines, especially the Iron Block 6.0s from the Silverados, which is really not in the LS family, but a close relative.... those are some bad ass blocks to build, tough as nails and can actually HOLD boost... which I know you aren't looking for, but if were ever going to boost a Camaro, that is what i'd start with

but there are still many carb'd aluminum LS engines
You can run the ls? intakes and oil pans on them right?
I may keep it EFI
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Padre
Only drives on Sundays
 
Padre's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dalton, GA
Posts: 2,394
I've been doing similar research for my '66 Pontiac 2+2.

Here are some transplant parts, including oil pans.
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CNV2

The LY6 motor is perhaps the most economical option. Here's a guy (retolsx) on e-Bay who sells the occassional motor plus wiring:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/retrols/m.ht...&_trksid=p3686

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Padre
__________________

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I've been doing similar research for my '66 Pontiac 2+2.

Here are some transplant parts, including oil pans.
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CNV2

The LY6 motor is perhaps the most economical option. Here's a guy (retolsx) on e-Bay who sells the occassional motor plus wiring:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/retrols/m.ht...&_trksid=p3686

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Padre
I think when the time comes I'll do one of the 6.0's. Does it matter between ly6, lq4, and lq9? I really want the thing too look like factory in my Trans Am. I really am not needing anything more than like 400hp. I will run a T56
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
dekan513
chevy pride
 
dekan513's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: pikeville ky
Posts: 2,146
if u can and really know what u r doing build urself save money and make it just how u want but, having someone like jason 98 ta that knows about these motors can help u alone the way but, if u cant and dont trust urself i would say crate motor. i owned a few crate motors myself not much but i had 2 327 and a 350 and both done well
__________________

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
if u can and really know what u r doing build urself save money and make it just how u want but, having someone like jason 98 ta that knows about these motors can help u alone the way but, if u cant and dont trust urself i would say crate motor. i owned a few crate motors myself not much but i had 2 327 and a 350 and both done well
I don't think I am going to go the stroker route yet. I think I will just drop in the 6.0 with maybe a cam. I would probably do rings and that. I am not too concerned about doing the work.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,545
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
I was almost set on rebuilding my olds, and then pricing it out I could probably do a nice 6.0.....
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 LS Black cloth interior photo request starbase Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 13 03-06-2012 12:36 PM
418 Stroker Built @ 2Edge Performance Busy_Boi Forced Induction - V8 55 04-21-2011 11:25 PM
LS Wheel Ideas? Pics of Black LS with different rims? Tylers Camaro Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 7 04-17-2011 12:03 AM
Camaro LS Question whamslam3 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 28 07-22-2010 09:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.