Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
lildudekc

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Summit White L99
Ticking fixed but harmonic balancer still wobbles

My SS recently got back from the shop after fixing a loud tickin sound on start up and continued the car was warmed up, the technicians says it was the AC belt, they have replaced the belt and the ticking is gone. But I still notice that the harmonic balancer has some bad wobble in it. Is anyone else's SS having the same problem, the dealership says that it is normal... Lol.
lildudekc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
A bad wobble is not normal. Most likely the pully has shifted on the hub. The two pieces are bonded together with rubber. Sounds like the dealership didn't fix the root cause of your problem. Most likely it's going to wear the belt and start ticking again.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I wouldn't have the first idea whether it's normal or not but if your current dealer thinks it's normal you might want to check with another dealer to see what they have to say. Also you don't have to go to a Chevy specific dealer if you don't want to or can't due to distance. Let us know how things go for you!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Drakin

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
A bad wobble is not normal. Most likely the pully has shifted on the hub. The two pieces are bonded together with rubber. Sounds like the dealership didn't fix the root cause of your problem. Most likely it's going to wear the belt and start ticking again.
Agreed...also there is a chance that it will come apart and do who knows what kind of damage..

I can't believe they would say that's normal!
Drakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I wouldn't have the first idea whether it's normal or not but if your current dealer thinks it's normal you might want to check with another dealer to see what they have to say. Also you don't have to go to a Chevy specific dealer if you don't want to or can't due to distance. Let us know how things go for you!

I can take my Camaro to be worked on at the Cadillac dealership next door to the Chevy dealership? That would be fantastic because my Chevrolet service department sucks. When I had my CTS-V the guys at Cadillac were great.
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
schoen311

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Synergy Green
Mine developed a squeak at 2700 miles. When I looked under the hood,the wobble in the harmonic balancer was obvious. I shut the car off and noticed that the belt had jumped a tooth and was walking off. Took it to the local dealer and received amazing service! Come to find out, the harmonic balancer was out of round. They replaced balancer, belts and bolts.

Get a second opinion.....wobble will just stress other parts and really cause a problem.

T
schoen311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Jay, yes you should be able to have you vehicle serviced at any GM dealer. I would just call and make sure your Cadillac dealer can work on the Camaros. Hopefully they can take care of you.

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
schoen311

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Synergy Green
They said mine was fixed, but when I look, the harmonic balancer visibly wobbles! ?? Shouldn't a new balancer have fixed that!?
schoen311 is offline   Reply With Quote