Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
opinion on 3 bolt vs 1 bolt cams

getting ready to buy a tsp 231 cam for the car and i've asked a few people (tuner and shops) their opinion of staying with the single bolt cam or going with the 3 bolt cam and gear. It's been pretty divided. Anybody with experience that can provide input either way. Thanks
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
3 bolt is a stronger set up. There is no arguing that.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
We wont touch a single bolt cam, unless its coming out.
No point in taking the greater risk for as cheap as the conversion is.

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime
- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
3 bolt is a stronger set up. There is no arguing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tech View Post
We wont touch a single bolt cam, unless its coming out.
No point in taking the greater risk for as cheap as the conversion is.

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime
- Jeremy
I disagree.

...and TSP agrees with me.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210400

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
I disagree.

TSP is one of the only vendors that state this... They are good people and I have purchased through their website previously as well... but the number of installers who admit there is more reliability in the 3-bolt cam far outweighs TSP. TSP has a vested interest to promote a single bolt cam, as their VVT cams should be single.

You.. also have a vested interest in promoting the single, don't you?

Unless TSP is installing my cam, they cannot stand behind an installers work...THERE in itself is the problem. "If you have a good installer you won't have a problem".. I do have a good installer, but we are human and mistakes happen. Why not go with what many admit is a more reliable platform to work off? Apex and JDP are very reputable vendors on this website, and if I had to venture a guess... Jannetty, Apex, JDP, LG, Vengeance, Comp Cams and their 3 bolt cams sell just as many LS3 cams as TSP does.... maybe we could show them a lil respect, man? Unless of course you have hours of practical application and R&D work yourself with this car?
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.

1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
I disagree.

With what? No one is claiming that there are power gains to be had. The 3 bolt is simply better engineering.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
TSP is one of the only vendors that state this... They are good people and I have purchased through their website previously as well... but the number of installers who admit there is more reliability in the 3-bolt cam far outweighs TSP. TSP has a vested interest to promote a single bolt cam, as their VVT cams should be single.

You.. also have a vested interest in promoting the single, don't you?

Unless TSP is installing my cam, they cannot stand behind an installers work...THERE in itself is the problem. "If you have a good installer you won't have a problem".. I do have a good installer, but we are human and mistakes happen. Why not go with what many admit is a more reliable platform to work off? Apex and JDP are very reputable vendors on this website, and if I had to venture a guess... Jannetty, Apex, JDP, LG, Vengeance, Comp Cams and their 3 bolt cams sell just as many LS3 cams as TSP does.... maybe we could show them a lil respect, man? Unless of course you have hours of practical application and R&D work yourself with this car?
Calm down dude...it's a bolt...it's not the end of the world. And no, I have no vested interest either way, in fact, I've never bought anything from TSP, and to be honest, I feel very comfortable saying I never will. Nothing against them either, I just don't want their stuff.

In fact, to further trouble you, I'll let you in on a little secret. My car has a 3 bolt cam and sprocket in it...Phil at AI and I discussed cam specs, he sent me his thoughts, I said "that sounds reasonable, lets have it ground, what cam sprocket should I buy" and he said "it will be on a 3 bolt core"...so then I called my GM parts guy, and said "hey I need a cam sprocket for an LS7" and I called Katech and said "Hey I need a regular length C5-R chain". It's not like I'm telling a vendor "you suck", I'm just politely disagreeing with them. If my cam was on a 1 bolt core, I'd have no issue revving it just as high just as often as the 3 bolt version of it that's in there. In fact, I saved the stock cam sprocket just in case I ever decide to change the cam again, and find that the new one is on a 1 bolt core.

You're right though, I don't have any R&D work on this 1 car myself...but you should really take a minute to think about how silly that point even sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
With what? No one is claiming that there are power gains to be had. The 3 bolt is simply better engineering.
I don't really think the 3 bolt is better engineering to be honest...I agree there's absolutely no power difference to be had, but being a real life degreed mechanical and manufacturing engineer...I have to look at it and say "it's a bolt", neither the 3 bolt design nor the 1 bolt design matters, 1 bolt is simpler than 3, so technically from the fundamental rules of engineering (K.I.S.S.), the 1 bolt design is "better"...the bolts don't turn the cam over, they just clamp the sprocket to the front of the camshaft, and the pin on the front of the cam locates the sprocket before it's bolted on (it doesn't help turn the cam over either). The friction between the face of the cam and the face of the sprocket due to the clamping force from the 1 or 3 bolts turns the cam over...that 1 bolt GM stuck in there on the variants of these engines (LS3/L99) is just as up to the job as the 3 bolts they stuck in there on the cousins of these engines (LS7/LS9).

The moment the 1 big bolt or 3 small bolts aren't installed properly (and replaced first if necessary), they will see shear force, and fail, absolutely without a doubt, they'll fail, a 1 bolt setup or a 3 bolt setup, as well as the pin on the front of the cam. I guess maybe the 1 bolt got a bad rap because if someone forgets to torque it, it breaks...with a 3 bolt setup, you have to forget to torque all 3, and more than likely torque on even only 2 of them is probably more than enough to clamp the sprocket to the cam and run indefinitely...as long as there's some locktite or something on the third bolt so it doesn't back out and break something else as it leaves the cam.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Slowhawk
LSX specialty shop

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
We will never install a 1 bolt cam. In the last few years we've seen them shear the pin a few times. Would rather chance 3 bolts loosening.

Bridgewater, Ma
(508)659-4454
Slowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote