Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop
 
V6owner's Avatar
 
Drives: One Badass 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rosenberg, TX
Posts: 2,217
Pfadt Springs Popping Out

Hello all! I have been having a problem since day one I had my springs installed. Everytime I raise my car on the lift or jack it up to work on it my springs pop out of the little pad they sit in. Anyone know how I can resolve this?


__________________
2014 Black 2SS/RS 1LE
V6owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Nutro


 
Nutro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,300
Hmm do they make any noise when driving? What brand are they?
__________________
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop
 
V6owner's Avatar
 
Drives: One Badass 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rosenberg, TX
Posts: 2,217
If I do not pop them back in then yes they hit the end link, but if I pop them back they are fine until I lift the car up which they pop out again.. They are Pfadt
__________________
2014 Black 2SS/RS 1LE
V6owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Ventmaster

 
Ventmaster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,615
IMHO, your springs don't have enough pre-load. The upper strut nut is supposed to be torqued to 52ft/lbs.

This hard to measure because you have to hold the center of the strut with a Torx wrench to keep it from turning with the nut- making it impossible to use a torque wrench, and you have to have the new spring compressed enough for the nut to be adequately seated.

I think you need to remove your struts and tighten down the 24mm upper strut nut to hold your springs in place when the car is lifted.
__________________
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
HaubSS
 
HaubSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lemoore, CA
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
IMHO, your springs don't have enough pre-load. The upper strut nut is supposed to be torqued to 52ft/lbs.

This hard to measure because you have to hold the center of the strut with a Torx wrench to keep it from turning with the nut- making it impossible to use a torque wrench, and you have to have the new spring compressed enough for the nut to be adequately seated.

I think you need to remove your struts and tighten down the 24mm upper strut nut to hold your springs in place when the car is lifted.
+1

This was my first guess as well.
__________________
2011 IBM 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Grey Interior
Full bolt-ons + TSP 229/236, 112 LSA
Tuned by BROOKS PERFORMANCE
BMR Stage 3 suspension
Vertini Magic Concave, 20x8.5-20x10
HaubSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop
 
V6owner's Avatar
 
Drives: One Badass 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rosenberg, TX
Posts: 2,217
Hmmm. Alright thanks man
__________________
2014 Black 2SS/RS 1LE
V6owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post

I think you need to remove your struts and tighten down the 24mm upper strut nut to hold your springs in place when the car is lifted.
That's not what's wrong.

There have been a lot of threads like this about PFADT springs. The springs have too short of an uninstalled height.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,382
And.... the V6 struts are a little bit longer/taller than the SS struts. However, SS struts will bolt right on.
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
gahammerle

 
gahammerle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
And.... the V6 struts are a little bit longer/taller than the SS struts. However, SS struts will bolt right on.
__________________
Gordy

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers



Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
And.... the V6 struts are a little bit longer/taller than the SS struts. However, SS struts will bolt right on.
There have been a few SS guys with the same problem.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
There are a couple undocumented differences between the V8 and V6 shocks, one of which is the V6 droop length is longer than the V8 is. The change was rolled in sometime in the 2010 model year, so some V6 shocks will work fine, but some do not. When on a lift the weight of the wheel can fully extend the shock and allow the spring to come unseated from the top mount. As soon as this came to light we discontinued sales of drop springs to V6 users until we were able to revise a V6 specific spring package which is just about ready to go. In the mean time you've got a couple options here:

1. Be careful when you put the car in the air that the spring gets properly seated in the upper mounts. During normal operation you shouldn't see a situation where the shock is at full droop.

2. Move from the V6 rear shocks and pick up a set of V8 rear shocks. The ride quality is going to be extremely similar between the two shocks, but the V8 will have a shorter droop length to keep the spring captured between the upper and lower mounts.

Let me know if you have any questions! You can email me directly to jarrett@pfadtracing.com or give one of our techs a call at 1-888-972-2464.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
bhall82
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 15,281
Personally from what i've seen and heard sounds like a spring load issue with Pfadt. They make great products for a vette but the camaro is a little diffrent animal. Just IMO though.

Good luck op
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
BDH
 
Drives: 2012 1LT-RS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
There are a couple undocumented differences between the V8 and V6 shocks, one of which is the V6 droop length is longer than the V8 is. The change was rolled in sometime in the 2010 model year, so some V6 shocks will work fine, but some do not. When on a lift the weight of the wheel can fully extend the shock and allow the spring to come unseated from the top mount. As soon as this came to light we discontinued sales of drop springs to V6 users until we were able to revise a V6 specific spring package which is just about ready to go. In the mean time you've got a couple options here:

1. Be careful when you put the car in the air that the spring gets properly seated in the upper mounts. During normal operation you shouldn't see a situation where the shock is at full droop.

2. Move from the V6 rear shocks and pick up a set of V8 rear shocks. The ride quality is going to be extremely similar between the two shocks, but the V8 will have a shorter droop length to keep the spring captured between the upper and lower mounts.

Let me know if you have any questions! You can email me directly to jarrett@pfadtracing.com or give one of our techs a call at 1-888-972-2464.
Hi Jeff...what about V6 convertibles? What are your thoughts please. Thanks.
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
We are really close to having a V6 specific spring kit that will work for both the coupes and convertibles. If you wanted to get parts immediately you could also move to the V8 shocks and run the springs we currently offer, but given that we are extremely close to having the V6 specific springs ready to go you may want to hold off.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
BDH
 
Drives: 2012 1LT-RS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
We are really close to having a V6 specific spring kit that will work for both the coupes and convertibles. If you wanted to get parts immediately you could also move to the V8 shocks and run the springs we currently offer, but given that we are extremely close to having the V6 specific springs ready to go you may want to hold off.
That's great news. Delivery will be late April so no big rush. I'll email you for more details...it's difficult getting clear information for v6 verts. Thanks again!
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Ventmaster

 
Ventmaster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,615
SLP will sell you a like new (really) set of SS shocks/struts for a very reasonable ($39.95 for all 4 last I looked) on E-Bay.

They work great on my car.
__________________
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
BDH
 
Drives: 2012 1LT-RS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 260
Interesting...thanks.
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
J-Rod6410
M6 10 second club
 
J-Rod6410's Avatar
 
Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Crackin Azz on a hi-way near you
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
IMHO, your springs don't have enough pre-load. The upper strut nut is supposed to be torqued to 52ft/lbs.

This hard to measure because you have to hold the center of the strut with a Torx wrench to keep it from turning with the nut- making it impossible to use a torque wrench, and you have to have the new spring compressed enough for the nut to be adequately seated.

I think you need to remove your struts and tighten down the 24mm upper strut nut to hold your springs in place when the car is lifted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
That's not what's wrong.

There have been a lot of threads like this about PFADT springs. The springs have too short of an uninstalled height.

The nuts are fully tightened! I'm the one that installed them for him. The springs are definetely too short. After the nut is fully tightened the spring will move around up and down untill the weight of the car is applied.

Sorry bro looks like you're S.O.L. unless Pfadt will exchange them for the newer design when they come out
__________________
TEAM LS3 Best pass: 10.72 @ 132

919RWHP 749RWTQ ECS S/C stock bottom end
Built by: J-Rod.... Tuned by: Matt Sorian @ FSP (floridaspeedandpower.com)
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,072
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this but there's an easy fix for this.... Return the Pfadt and buy from someone else. I recommend Pedders. I and another C5 member were test cars for Pedders v6 springs. We weren't so much test cars as cars that provide proof to show that this problem doesn't exist with Pedders. I have been riding with these springs for about a month and a half and I couldn't be happier. I have jacked the car up and stuff like that and they are sitting perfectly in their place.

IMO what your going through shouldn't happen with quality springs.
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #20
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop
 
V6owner's Avatar
 
Drives: One Badass 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rosenberg, TX
Posts: 2,217
Alright I just pm'ed pfadt. Just waiting to see what they say
__________________
2014 Black 2SS/RS 1LE
V6owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #21
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
IMO what your going through shouldn't happen with quality springs.
What he is "going through" is that he has SS springs on a V6.
__________________

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 03-22-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
chevy 3
NEcamaro5
 
chevy 3's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 3,882
I have these springs and no problums at all. Check with pfadt first you shouldent have any problums. My springs are great you just have the wrong part possibly.
__________________
chevy 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #23
chevy 3
NEcamaro5
 
chevy 3's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 3,882
Betwean apex chase and pfadt you should do ok.
__________________
chevy 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06
 
davidcroft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS sedan
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this but there's an easy fix for this.... Return the Pfadt and buy from someone else. I recommend Pedders. I and another C5 member were test cars for Pedders v6 springs. We weren't so much test cars as cars that provide proof to show that this problem doesn't exist with Pedders. I have been riding with these springs for about a month and a half and I couldn't be happier. I have jacked the car up and stuff like that and they are sitting perfectly in their place.

IMO what your going through shouldn't happen with quality springs.
+1
__________________
2014 SS Sedan-ARH LTs,rotofab & 510 tune. LSA blower in the works (Houston stock)
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop
 
V6owner's Avatar
 
Drives: One Badass 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rosenberg, TX
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
What he is "going through" is that he has SS springs on a V6.
I actually placed my order with you. I specified V6 and you gave me what I have now.
__________________
2014 Black 2SS/RS 1LE
V6owner is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pfadt Stage 2 Performance Handling Package Is Now $600 Shipped At APEX Motorsports!! Apex Motorsports Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 167 08-09-2012 05:05 PM
Pfadt-ening things up Phase 2: Drop Springs robertway Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 34 05-02-2010 08:56 AM
Pfadt GROUP BUY! Springs / Sways / Mounts IPS Brandon Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 18 11-23-2009 02:46 PM
Pfadt Springs and Sway Bars In Stock! *Package Deal*! PfadtRacing Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 0 10-14-2009 05:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.