Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
tapshifting

Was playing around with tapshifting a little, and it's a blast I know letting the computer do the shifting at the track is supposed to give the best times, but on the street it is nice to have more control.

The car seemed a little sluggish on some freeway on-ramps, but I read some older posts and think I know why. I usually get on and have to make a left turn from a light. I'll go easy around the corner, and then give it gas down the ramp. I think the problem is, by the time I'm around the corner, the tranny has already shifted into 2nd. When I stomp on it, it just runs all the way through 2nd, and doesn't downshift to first. Ideally, I think this would be a situation where I'd want to be in 1st from the get go, right?

Also, the car sounds awesome when downshifting. I know the computer won't let me blow the engine, but at what speed do you normally downshift to 2nd and 1st when coming to a stop?

One last thing....when I want to accelerate, do I tapshift down and then press the gas pedal, or do I start pressing the gas and then tap down?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
bump it up.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Was playing around with tapshifting a little, and it's a blast I know letting the computer do the shifting at the track is supposed to give the best times, but on the street it is nice to have more control.

The car seemed a little sluggish on some freeway on-ramps, but I read some older posts and think I know why. I usually get on and have to make a left turn from a light. I'll go easy around the corner, and then give it gas down the ramp. I think the problem is, by the time I'm around the corner, the tranny has already shifted into 2nd. When I stomp on it, it just runs all the way through 2nd, and doesn't downshift to first. Ideally, I think this would be a situation where I'd want to be in 1st from the get go, right?

Also, the car sounds awesome when downshifting. I know the computer won't let me blow the engine, but at what speed do you normally downshift to 2nd and 1st when coming to a stop?

One last thing....when I want to accelerate, do I tapshift down and then press the gas pedal, or do I start pressing the gas and then tap down?
I just installed my new Hurst Tap Shifter and love them. I am a bit new to tap shifting but feel I am getting better, so I am no expert.

When downshifting to 2nd I'm usually in the 20-25 range, I typically let it downshift to 1st on its own but have done it at about 10mph.

As for accelerating, I try to shift and give it gas at the same time.

Last edited by nyrfan; 03-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.
nyrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for the tips. I've been playing around with it and just experimenting. Nice thing is that the computer won't let me blow up the car

It's nice to be able to stay in first gear. A lot of times if I turn a corner slowly from a stop, it'll shift to 2nd pretty fast. This way I can keep it in first and blast off once I'm pointed straight.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote