Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
AKG
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 32
How good is OEM Exhaust???

I want to leave exhaust stock except LT Headers and high flow cats... I like oem sound, just right for me!
What do you think I might be missing in terms of HP compared to full exhaust?
Thanks
AKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Not much in terms of horsepower but the stock cat back is very heavy. Most aftermarket cat backs eliminate 30-40 lbs..
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,337
If the sound is good for you then leave it stock. Adding an exhaust will get louder and long tube headers give you the best hp. Search button is your friend this topic has been beaten to DEATH lol
__________________
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
SSDan

 
SSDan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leesville, SC
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKG View Post
I want to leave exhaust stock except LT Headers and high flow cats... I like oem sound, just right for me!
What do you think I might be missing in terms of HP compared to full exhaust?
Thanks
If you wish - take a listen:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203257

I decided to keep the stock mufflers with my cam/bolt on package. Instead of catback or axle back system - I spent the money elsewhere (drop springs and sway bars). I'm happy with it. Plenty loud when accelerating, lots of rumble at idle yet still almost stock quiet and drone free when highway cruising. Its all personal preference though as surely someone else will say - get rid of those big, heavy, ugly things. I painted them black and they just disappeared. As to HP the LS3 mufflers are practically straight through - they couldn't give up much if anything. The stock cats and resonators were the restrictors. I have almost no back pressure now.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue 6MT NPP

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,454
the looks of the stock exhaust is what gets me
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
happycamper
 
happycamper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 AGM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 220
I also painted my stock LS3 mufflers flat black (advice from SSDan) and they truly do disappear. I'm happy with the sound, so plan to keep them, at least for a while. My first mod will probably be a CAI.
__________________
Ashen Gray Metallic w/factory Hurst shifter
Previous: 2011 2LT/RS M6 (a great car too)
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 4,282
I also like the stock exhaust, but i also like the AT from flowmaster. Haha
__________________
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
hawaiianboy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 36
I just put on my Kooks LTs and left my oem exhaust and it sounds just right to me. A little deeper rumble than without the headers @ idle, and at cruising speeds no drone at all. But when you get on the gas pedal, it sounds awesome.
hawaiianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
BURNT ORANGE SS
 
BURNT ORANGE SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro 2SS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 169
I love my stock exhaust. It's quiet for commuting. Then when you get on it the V8 grumble is amazing.
BURNT ORANGE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
AKG
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianboy View Post
I just put on my Kooks LTs and left my oem exhaust and it sounds just right to me. A little deeper rumble than without the headers @ idle, and at cruising speeds no drone at all. But when you get on the gas pedal, it sounds awesome.

That's exactly what I want!
AKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet red 2016 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,400
Trust me...headers and HF cats will give you plenty of sound even when you keep the stock mufflers. I ran stock exhaust the way you mention and everybody said it sounded "raspy" and I agreed. Put SLP axle backs on and it's awesome now.
__________________
2016 Camaro 2SS, Garnet Red Metalic, 8A, NPP, Nav, Sun Roof, upgraded silver wheels, lit door sills, Ash gray interior.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto
2002 C5 Corvette 6M
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
AKG
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
If you wish - take a listen:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203257

I decided to keep the stock mufflers with my cam/bolt on package. Instead of catback or axle back system - I spent the money elsewhere (drop springs and sway bars). I'm happy with it. Plenty loud when accelerating, lots of rumble at idle yet still almost stock quiet and drone free when highway cruising. Its all personal preference though as surely someone else will say - get rid of those big, heavy, ugly things. I painted them black and they just disappeared. As to HP the LS3 mufflers are practically straight through - they couldn't give up much if anything. The stock cats and resonators were the restrictors. I have almost no back pressure now.

A little loud to have stock mufflers! but nice sound! you deleated stock cats?
Thanks
AKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
AKG
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Trust me...headers and HF cats will give you plenty of sound even when you keep the stock mufflers. I ran stock exhaust the way you mention and everybody said it sounded "raspy" and I agreed. Put SLP axle backs on and it's awesome now.
Really! Ok so with SLP axle back is quiter now than stock wil LT's ald high flow cats?
AKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
MIKnam67
MIC
 
Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 383
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
If you wish - take a listen:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203257

I decided to keep the stock mufflers with my cam/bolt on package. Instead of catback or axle back system - I spent the money elsewhere (drop springs and sway bars). I'm happy with it. Plenty loud when accelerating, lots of rumble at idle yet still almost stock quiet and drone free when highway cruising. Its all personal preference though as surely someone else will say - get rid of those big, heavy, ugly things. I painted them black and they just disappeared. As to HP the LS3 mufflers are practically straight through - they couldn't give up much if anything. The stock cats and resonators were the restrictors. I have almost no back pressure now.

I have LS3 also set up just like SSDan with stock LS3 mufflers. Dan's sounds awesome and so does mine.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOLO Performance Camaro CONVERTIBLE Cat-Back Exhaust Kit GOINGSOLO2 V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 18 12-20-2011 06:17 PM
I'm 16 (2010 Camaro SS) and want headers and loud exhaust, what should i get? DuhKoDuh Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 85 09-12-2011 10:04 AM
EXHAUST Milk 1027 Wiki 2 03-07-2010 09:20 PM
Is the factory exhaust good enough to use? caverman Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 28 11-21-2009 09:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.