Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

tandtperformance.com
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
AKG

Drives: Camaro SS 2010
How good is OEM Exhaust???

I want to leave exhaust stock except LT Headers and high flow cats... I like oem sound, just right for me!
What do you think I might be missing in terms of HP compared to full exhaust?
Thanks
AKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Not much in terms of horsepower but the stock cat back is very heavy. Most aftermarket cat backs eliminate 30-40 lbs..
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
If the sound is good for you then leave it stock. Adding an exhaust will get louder and long tube headers give you the best hp. Search button is your friend this topic has been beaten to DEATH lol
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKG View Post
I want to leave exhaust stock except LT Headers and high flow cats... I like oem sound, just right for me!
What do you think I might be missing in terms of HP compared to full exhaust?
Thanks
If you wish - take a listen:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203257

I decided to keep the stock mufflers with my cam/bolt on package. Instead of catback or axle back system - I spent the money elsewhere (drop springs and sway bars). I'm happy with it. Plenty loud when accelerating, lots of rumble at idle yet still almost stock quiet and drone free when highway cruising. Its all personal preference though as surely someone else will say - get rid of those big, heavy, ugly things. I painted them black and they just disappeared. As to HP the LS3 mufflers are practically straight through - they couldn't give up much if anything. The stock cats and resonators were the restrictors. I have almost no back pressure now.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
the looks of the stock exhaust is what gets me
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
happycamper

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 AGM
I also painted my stock LS3 mufflers flat black (advice from SSDan) and they truly do disappear. I'm happy with the sound, so plan to keep them, at least for a while. My first mod will probably be a CAI.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I also like the stock exhaust, but i also like the AT from flowmaster. Haha
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
hawaiianboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I just put on my Kooks LTs and left my oem exhaust and it sounds just right to me. A little deeper rumble than without the headers @ idle, and at cruising speeds no drone at all. But when you get on the gas pedal, it sounds awesome.
hawaiianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
BURNT ORANGE SS

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro 2SS LS3
I love my stock exhaust. It's quiet for commuting. Then when you get on it the V8 grumble is amazing.
BURNT ORANGE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
AKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianboy View Post
I just put on my Kooks LTs and left my oem exhaust and it sounds just right to me. A little deeper rumble than without the headers @ idle, and at cruising speeds no drone at all. But when you get on the gas pedal, it sounds awesome.

That's exactly what I want!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Trust me...headers and HF cats will give you plenty of sound even when you keep the stock mufflers. I ran stock exhaust the way you mention and everybody said it sounded "raspy" and I agreed. Put SLP axle backs on and it's awesome now.

Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
AKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post

I decided to keep the stock mufflers with my cam/bolt on package. Instead of catback or axle back system - I spent the money elsewhere (drop springs and sway bars). I'm happy with it. Plenty loud when accelerating, lots of rumble at idle yet still almost stock quiet and drone free when highway cruising. Its all personal preference though as surely someone else will say - get rid of those big, heavy, ugly things. I painted them black and they just disappeared. As to HP the LS3 mufflers are practically straight through - they couldn't give up much if anything. The stock cats and resonators were the restrictors. I have almost no back pressure now.

A little loud to have stock mufflers! but nice sound! you deleated stock cats?
Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
AKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Trust me...headers and HF cats will give you plenty of sound even when you keep the stock mufflers. I ran stock exhaust the way you mention and everybody said it sounded "raspy" and I agreed. Put SLP axle backs on and it's awesome now.
Really! Ok so with SLP axle back is quiter now than stock wil LT's ald high flow cats?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Thumbs up

Quote:

I have LS3 also set up just like SSDan with stock LS3 mufflers. Dan's sounds awesome and so does mine.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
SSDan

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKG View Post
A little loud to have stock mufflers! but nice sound! you deleated stock cats?
Thanks
At a warm idle (thats a cold idle in the video - once it settles down it is not as loud) and under light throttle its not overly loud. Plus the cam throws some noise in there you won't have with just LTs and HF cats. I have HF cats as part of the ARH packlage so yes my stock cats are gone. I don't annoy the neighbors or draw attention when just cruising around. Under heavy throttle ( half throttle or more and especially WOT) it is loud. People know you are coming and you really hear it in the cabin too. Its a wall of sound but nothing like when I have the cutouts open

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
As mentioned under load mine does blare - maybe that is the same as raspy. I wouldn't mind a little deeper tone but I fear buying something and getting drone. When highway cruising with my setup works - nice quiet little rumble out back but no drone. A droning exhaust is a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Quote:
At a warm idle (thats a cold idle in the video - once it settles down it is not as loud) and under light throttle its not overly loud. Plus the cam throws some noise in there you won't have with just LTs and HF cats. I have HF cats as part of the ARH packlage so yes my stock cats are gone. I don't annoy the neighbors or draw attention when just cruising around. Under heavy throttle ( half throttle or more and especially WOT) it is loud. People know you are coming and you really hear it in the cabin too. Its a wall of sound but nothing like when I have the cutouts open

As mentioned under load mine does blare - maybe that is the same as raspy. I wouldn't mind a little deeper tone but I fear buying something and getting drone. When highway cruising with my setup works - nice quiet little rumble out back but no drone. A droning exhaust is a deal breaker for me.
There was never a drone to the exhaust sound with my setup. LT headers, HF cats, Xpipe and SLP axlebacks. The tone was deep and mellow...a little pop on deceleration but not annoyingly so. I just took the headers and cats off and put the OEM back on leaving the xpipe and SLP mufflers and it sounds sweet that way as well. I'm trading my l99 for an LS3 this week.

Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I started out with the dreaded muffler delete and OEM manifolds. That lasted about a week.

Then I bought a set of 1-7/8" stainless works LTs and ran them for a while with the OEM exhaust. To me, it was MUCH quieter than I expected. At idle it was just a hair louder and deeper. Under accelleration it seemed to wake up more than stock but still not what I was expecting.

I then put on a Flowmaster cat back and day-um, thats what I wanted. Not too loud but great deep, muscle car rumble...

What are looking for? Sound or power?

Sound - just do a cat back and leave manifolds
power - headers
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
the looks of the stock exhaust is what gets me
Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
Soundplus

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice SS2 RS
AKG. TRUST me you will like the sound of Kooks LTs and high flows with the stock exhaust. I have this exact same set up and LOVE IT. for all the reasons posted above. Hawaiinboy has it right.. I have the Kooks stepped LTs. perfect sound but not too much. people hear it and know it has muscle but don't cover their ears and roll their eyes either.
the 50rwhp is awesome too..

and painting the mufflers.. why didn't I think of that.. I know what I will be doing today..
Soundplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundplus View Post
AKG. TRUST me you will like the sound of Kooks LTs and high flows with the stock exhaust. I have this exact same set up and LOVE IT. for all the reasons posted above. Hawaiinboy has it right.. I have the Kooks stepped LTs. perfect sound but not too much. people hear it and know it has muscle but don't cover their ears and roll their eyes either.
+2 on the OEM exhaust.....it was also designed for airflow to exit underneath the vehicle.

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #21
AKG

Quote:

and painting the mufflers.. why didn't I think of that.. I know what I will be doing today..
Looks like I'm going your way! thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 AM   #22
Soundplus

I made a video yesterday of the sound I thought I linked it.. guess I didn't but here it is again..

Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
AKG

Quote:
I made a video yesterday of the sound I thought I linked it.. guess I didn't but here it is again..

Thanks for the video! sounds really good! a little loud but I think maybe its the camcorder mic sensitivity... or my computer headphones volume!

Do you think high flow cats help on noise reduction or it would sound the same without them?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Soundplus

with any headers you will want high flos. other wise you with just blow out the insides of regular cats in a few months.