Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Chiefish

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Flowmaster American Thunder

I just ordered a Flowmaster american thunder cat back exhaust system for my car. I must say it is hard to tell what its really going to sound like by listening to all the clips and stuff I dug up on this site and y tube. Does anyone already have this installed and how is it. I dont want super loud, but i do want the low rumble at idle and some nice deep rumble when i get on it. But i hope its a little quiet when just loping along and doesnt attract too much attention from the fuzz.
Some opinions are welcome, but I dont want to hear I should have bought this or should have bought that because i did listen to at least 100 different exhaust clips from all the manufacturers and think I like the Flowmaster sound the best. Thanks in advance
Chiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
It's not a bad system at all. the AMT is called thunder for a reason. It won't be SUPER loud unless you have long tube headers, but should give it that rumble that you want when you get on it.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Based on your desires, I think you will love it. There are times when I wish it was louder at lower RPMs but it has a great idle sound and WOT sound.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss Aqua Blue Metallic
yea its not to loud a friend of mine has it with longtubes and its not even too bad love the deep throaty old school sound
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
My Flowmaster with long tubes gets pretty loud when I stomp on it, and I have the hush power system which is quieter than the AMT.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I have it. It sounds a notch louder than stock at an idle (with no headers). The first time I started it up after the install, I was initially disappointed, and I looked at the tech guy and said "they should have just came this way..." and he laughed and agreed. Now, if you put headers on... its a whole different beast... but its still not as loud as some other exhausts out there.

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
BlkBty

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
[QUOTE=Mindz;4689392]My Flowmaster with long tubes gets pretty loud when I stomp on it, and I have the hush power system which is quieter than the AMT.

Great burnout on the orange one.. But what happen after??
BlkBty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefish View Post
I just ordered a Flowmaster american thunder cat back exhaust system for my car. I must say it is hard to tell what its really going to sound like by listening to all the clips and stuff I dug up on this site and y tube. Does anyone already have this installed and how is it. I dont want super loud, but i do want the low rumble at idle and some nice deep rumble when i get on it. But i hope its a little quiet when just loping along and doesnt attract too much attention from the fuzz.
Some opinions are welcome, but I dont want to hear I should have bought this or should have bought that because i did listen to at least 100 different exhaust clips from all the manufacturers and think I like the Flowmaster sound the best. Thanks in advance
LIKES: I dont have headers yet... I do have the Thunder 3 inch cat back kit and it sounds very muscle car like. General driving its a nice little rumpity sound...a generous squeeze and you can hear the cylinders fire...thump it and it opens right the F$#^ up!

DISLIKE: (Automatics ONLY) only one "Active Fuel Management"..get it programmed out..OMG it will make you nuts.....On the highway at 65 it sounds and feels like your riding the rumble stip.

I think some SOLO free flow cats would make it that much sweeter out the back!
Here ya go one more vid for ya LOL

Last edited by Phantom.5SS; 03-22-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Phantom.5SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
Chiefish

Sweet, I should have it by tuesday and ill probly install it the following weekend. I must admit Im a little excited to start making this car sound like it should. I appreciate the feed back and when I get home tonight ill check out the vids you guys added here. This darn firewall wont let me see any during work hours lol.
Ill try and do a before and after clips for others to check out too.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I have it and love it. Its as everyone says... but I have headers and had them first so I really have no idea what it sounds like with factory manifolds. I dont think its loud at all... even with headers. It just sounds mean. Here are a few clips to to confirm you made the right choice.

Now, I will say... you get what you pay for. The pipes are stainless, the mufflers are not. They will eventually rust but whatever, the whole kit is like $600. I would still choose the A/T kit 10 times out of 10.

not my car but a great video...

IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Chiefish

Thanks for all the input guys, I got my system a few days ago and got it all installed. No real problems to speak of other then the fact that I dont do exhausts every day so it took me three times up on the lift to get all the pipes lined up good and not rubbing anywhere. First time I thought i had to shim the tunnel brace so I used some washers and did that, but even with an extra inch of clearance i still had banging, went back under and used a jack to push up on the x pipe as I tightened the fisrt clamps off the cats and that problem was solved. No spacers needed at all. The third time I had to pull the aluminum heat shield down a bit off the driveshaft to stop it from rubbing on it as it spun. I guess I pushed up the x pipe a bit too much and distorted the shield a bit. Once i got that fixed it is as good as gold now. Sounds great , looks great and Ive already seen my fuel mileage go up a few tenths.
Next i have my Vararam intake coming and should be here tomarrow, I cant wait to see how that feels and sounds with the better flowing exhaust.
Well I just wanted to thank everyone for thier input it made my decision making much easier with some real world input.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Next i have my Vararam intake coming and should be here tomarrow, I cant wait to see how that feels and sounds with the better flowing exhaust.
Well I just wanted to thank everyone for thier input it made my decision making much easier with some real world input.
After the Vararam should be headers and a tune!

I had my AMT system put on my 2011 L99 about 3 weeks after I bought it. It really did sound great, but I got my Vararam, ARH LT Headers with cleaned out cats (shhhh don't tell MD MVA!), and tune about a month and a half ago, and all I can say is "WOAH". It's a lot louder when driving and WOT sounds RIDICULOUS, but it will still calm down and smooth out at low rpm so I can order at a drive-thru window haha. Cold starts are loads of fun
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
2012SS

Drives: 2012 V.R. Camaro SS, '67 Camaro
Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys, I got my system a few days ago and got it all installed. No real problems to speak of other then the fact that I dont do exhausts every day so it took me three times up on the lift to get all the pipes lined up good and not rubbing anywhere. First time I thought i had to shim the tunnel brace so I used some washers and did that, but even with an extra inch of clearance i still had banging, went back under and used a jack to push up on the x pipe as I tightened the fisrt clamps off the cats and that problem was solved. No spacers needed at all. The third time I had to pull the aluminum heat shield down a bit off the driveshaft to stop it from rubbing on it as it spun. I guess I pushed up the x pipe a bit too much and distorted the shield a bit. Once i got that fixed it is as good as gold now. Sounds great , looks great and Ive already seen my fuel mileage go up a few tenths.

I had the exact same problem with the rubbing against the exhaust shield. I was like WTF and finally figured it was the driveshaft and heat shield. I still have a very slight tapping I can barely hear that needs bending.

I originally had the AMT, it sounds like what you're looking for. However, it wasn't near loud enough for me. I ended up switching to the Outlaw system
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
clarkshome

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Camaro
I have my Flowmaster AT along with TSP long tube headers. It sounds like a shotgun when you first turn on the car but quiets down to a nice rumble after.

I was afraid when I installed my long tubes that it would be too loud but was not. Now, when you step on it that's another issue, people will definately hear you blocks away.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
thesnoopster

Drives: '10 SIM SS/A6 - '12 SIM Equinox LT
I had this exhaust with both factory manifolds and now with headers. With the factory set up it gave it a deeper tone over factory and sounded way better, but I tuned my AFM off. After putting the headers on ... it got deeper and the sound is great. I have had good compliments on the sound. Had the exhaust for a little over 2 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRDawG View Post
After the Vararam should be headers and a tune!

I had my AMT system put on my 2011 L99 about 3 weeks after I bought it. It really did sound great, but I got my Vararam, ARH LT Headers with cleaned out cats (shhhh don't tell MD MVA!), and tune about a month and a half ago, and all I can say is "WOAH". It's a lot louder when driving and WOT sounds RIDICULOUS, but it will still calm down and smooth out at low rpm so I can order at a drive-thru window haha. Cold starts are loads of fun
OHHHH Im telling!!!! LMAO J/K

Mods: "93 Octane and a baby seat..." TunedByFrost/EFI Performance,LLC @ PAS "You gotta love me ... or leave me alone"
thesnoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Somewhere here is my Livernois link that includes a video of my car with long tubes and the American Thunder. It sounds glorious. Excellent choice.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
I HAVE IT ON MINE.. ill say its pretty good rumble and sounds like a true muscle car.
Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshome View Post
I have my Flowmaster AT along with TSP long tube headers. It sounds like a shotgun when you first turn on the car but quiets down to a nice rumble after.

I was afraid when I installed my long tubes that it would be too loud but was not. Now, when you step on it that's another issue, people will definately hear you blocks away.
agree!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com

Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
its not super loud.

HEHEHE JK!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
RSBAD454
Procharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to RSBAD454
I just installed my Flownaster AMT this weekend. I was up on the fence as to which kit I wanted, but decided on Flowmaster. IMO it is a well constructed kit and sounds awesome, not too loud and not too quiet. I'm not into that raspy sound that other exhaust manufacturers are known for. I have used Flowmaster on a majority of my vehicles and have no complaints. My prostreet Chevy truck has a 12.5:1 Big Block with two chamber Flowmasters and is pretty loud. I think you made a wise decision. r