Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #103
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Anybody know if there were changes between the 2011 & 2012 transmissions for V6 auto transmissions?

Reason I ask: My 2011 2LT, A6, was produced Aug. 03,2010, I received Aug. 10, 2010 (I preordered May 2010). Fast forward one year to Aug. 26, 2011, and replaced the TCM (transmission control monitor) at 3,048 miles. Issue was first visit to dealership regarding a "flare" (hesitate shift) between gears 1 & 2 and nothing found with a computer check. However, transmission guy test drove my 2011 (with me) and then test drove / compared with a new on the lot 2011 Camaro and noticed the hesitation, therefore replacement of the TCM. My 2011 A6 transmission flare was the first reported to GM but I found others with same issue on a Camaro5 thread.

After TCM replaced shifts did seem smoother for a few months. Fast forward to today and at 28 months after production and only 4,700 miles, I feel every automatic shift between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 and 3 & 4. Note, mostly drive city traffic stop-n-go for short distances 4 days a week and seldom get above 45 mph (one reason I did not buy a SS V8, LOL).

My current issue: Not sure how smooth a Gen. 5 V6 auto trans. should shift. Not sure if my lag between shifts is typical for this transmission. Concern is my warrenty expires Aug. 2013, and with my low milegage, 2-3 years from now is this 5th generation automatic transmission going to cost to repair because of slowly more noticable lag in gear shift changes.

FYI, I also have a 1998 Buick Riviera, supercharged, with 67,000 miles (summer driver only). Around town driving or fast moving onto a freeway, automatic shifts smooth as butter whereas my 2011 Camaro w/auto transmission and with only 4,700 miles I can feel evey shift.

2013 spring will take the Camaro back to dealership for an inspection before warrenty expires. Do not know what to say to dealership about the gear change lag in the Camaro except the 1-2 second noticable lag between gear shifts. Been driving since 1967, most but not all my autos had automatic transmissions, love my Camaro but not happy with its automatic transmission.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #104
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
Anybody know if there were changes between the 2011 & 2012 transmissions for V6 auto transmissions?

Reason I ask: My 2011 2LT, A6, was produced Aug. 03,2010, I received Aug. 10, 2010 (I preordered May 2010). Fast forward one year to Aug. 26, 2011, and replaced the TCM (transmission control monitor) at 3,048 miles. Issue was first visit to dealership regarding a "flare" (hesitate shift) between gears 1 & 2 and nothing found with a computer check. However, transmission guy test drove my 2011 (with me) and then test drove / compared with a new on the lot 2011 Camaro and noticed the hesitation, therefore replacement of the TCM. My 2011 A6 transmission flare was the first reported to GM but I found others with same issue on a Camaro5 thread.

After TCM replaced shifts did seem smoother for a few months. Fast forward to today and at 28 months after production and only 4,700 miles, I feel every automatic shift between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 and 3 & 4. Note, mostly drive city traffic stop-n-go for short distances 4 days a week and seldom get above 45 mph (one reason I did not buy a SS V8, LOL).

My current issue: Not sure how smooth a Gen. 5 V6 auto trans. should shift. Not sure if my lag between shifts is typical for this transmission. Concern is my warrenty expires Aug. 2013, and with my low milegage, 2-3 years from now is this 5th generation automatic transmission going to cost to repair because of slowly more noticable lag in gear shift changes.

FYI, I also have a 1998 Buick Riviera, supercharged, with 67,000 miles (summer driver only). Around town driving or fast moving onto a freeway, automatic shifts smooth as butter whereas my 2011 Camaro w/auto transmission and with only 4,700 miles I can feel evey shift.

2013 spring will take the Camaro back to dealership for an inspection before warrenty expires. Do not know what to say to dealership about the gear change lag in the Camaro except the 1-2 second noticable lag between gear shifts. Been driving since 1967, most but not all my autos had automatic transmissions, love my Camaro but not happy with its automatic transmission.
Drivetrain warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles. So you have more time than you think. Unless the power train warranty is different on Canadian cars.

The Bird is the word!

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #105
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
Anyone know if it affects the 2013's too? Or did they change the TC between years?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #106
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Got my Camaro back last Saturday after they finished the TQ replacement. Drives so much better now. No shutter/shudder or whatever you want to call it. Hopefully no more issues down the road.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #107
FISWizard

Drives: Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISWizard View Post
I have a 2012 Camaro, 2LT, RS, auto. I started having shuddering problems once in a while at 4300 miles. Speed 18-45, barely touching the gas pedal, more noticable going up inclines. I took it in for service around 4700 miles and the technician could not detect the problem. Then I drove the car with the technician in the passenger seat and the problem did not appear. I took the car home and the next day the problem started coming back once in a while. This is very frustrating and disappointing. I can't get the car repaired unless the technician experiences the problem.
12/27/12 update: The transmission problem became more obvious, so I took the car back to the dealer. This time the technician felt the shuttering. I was told the parts would be ordered on 12/10/12. On 12/18/12, I had not heard from the service dept. so I called them and was told the parts were on back order and this could take 1-2 weeks. As of today(12/27/12), I have not heard from the dealer(biggest volume dealer in South Carolina). The car now has over 5900 miles on it. Very frustrating.
FISWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #108
FISWizard

Quote:
12/27/12 update: The transmission problem became more obvious, so I took the car back to the dealer. This time the technician felt the shuttering. I was told the parts would be ordered on 12/10/12. On 12/18/12, I had not heard from the service dept. so I called them and was told the parts were on back order and this could take 1-2 weeks. As of today(12/27/12), I have not heard from the dealer(biggest volume dealer in South Carolina). The car now has over 5900 miles on it. Very frustrating.
1/10/13 update: The parts finally arrived, two days short of three weeks. The transmission was repaired on 1/8/13 and the problem has been solved.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #109
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
1/10/13 update: The parts finally arrived, two days short of three weeks. The transmission was repaired on 1/8/13 and the problem has been solved.
Glad to hear it. When was your car built? Mine was built in September of 2011 and so far I have had 0 issues with the transmission in 7,800 miles.

The Bird is the word!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #110
FISWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Glad to hear it. When was your car built? Mine was built in September of 2011 and so far I have had 0 issues with the transmission in 7,800 miles.
The car was built in Dec., 2011. The dealer service rep said they have had a couple of other Camaros with the same transmission problem. One of them had 23,000 miles and the other one had 30,000 miles.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #111
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
The car was built in Dec., 2011. The dealer service rep said they have had a couple of other Camaros with the same transmission problem. One of them had 23,000 miles and the other one had 30,000 miles.
Was yours built in Canada? (Vin begins with a 2).
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #112
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Was yours built in Canada? (Vin begins with a 2).
To my knowledge all 5th gens were built in Canada.......

The Bird is the word!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #113
HellOnHeels

Drives: 2012 White and Pink 2LT RS
Hey y'all, I've been a lurker for a while and I'm sad that this is where my first post is going.

My automatic 2012 2LT RS had jumped switching gears a few times and I just blew it off since it only happened every once in a while at the same speeds others have mentioned (25-45 and after stop lights). I have a lot of miles on my car already from making 3 round-trips home to PA from Alabama, but rarely drive it around at that speed.

Today, I park it and come back 5 minutes later to leave: start it, put it in reverse, no back up camera.... So I am a little weirded out and hit the gas lightly, car goes forward. Put the car in park, try again, car goes forward. At this point I have about 2 inches of going forward until I smack a cement barrier, so I put the car back into park and shut it off. It ended up going into reverse when I turned the car back on. I was only about 0.4 miles from my apartment to I immediately drove it home (it felt awful) and called the local Chevy dealer. They can't get me in until Friday, I am a masters student and I HAVE to get to class so we will see how the week goes and how the appointment goes on Friday.

It's not sounding really great right now.
HellOnHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #114
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellOnHeels View Post
At this point I have about 2 inches of going forward until I smack a cement barrier, so I put the car back into park and shut it off. It ended up going into reverse when I turned the car back on.
Question: When you finally got it into Reverse, did you get the camera back on? Or were you too p!ssed by then to notice?
You've got my prayers and crossed-fingers that your dealer makes this go away, fast and forever.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #115
HellOnHeels

Drives: 2012 White and Pink 2LT RS
Quote:
Question: When you finally got it into Reverse, did you get the camera back on? Or were you too p!ssed by then to notice?
You've got my prayers and crossed-fingers that your dealer makes this go away, fast and forever.
Back-up camera came back on! I am also have issues with my power seat (which dealers haven't really been able to help me with) and my Bluetooth on and off. I am lucky if I get over 10mpg, which a dealer laughed at me when I complained. I had a Scion tC and Toyota Celica before this (both over 115,000 miles and never a major issue, averaged 36mpg), which made my Dad cringe (loyal to GM since the early 80s, even a GM credit card), and was really hoping to be proved wrong with my previous perception of American cars. One more issue and my Camaro is probably getting traded in, I don't have the time for issues. I wanted this car for over a year, begged and pleaded, I love the look of it but I've just been pretty disappointed with the quality for $35,000.

Hoping it'll be fixed, have no more issues, and I won't have to see her go; but I'm not getting my hopes up.
HellOnHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #116
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellOnHeels View Post
Hoping it'll be fixed, have no more issues, and I won't have to see her go; but I'm not getting my hopes up.
As you know from lurking since August, you're lucky you've got a coupe and not a convertible. **
** If you had a convertible, we'd have heard from you before now.

I hope you can get your dealer to slam the lid on Pandora's Box of problems and keep it closed!

Congrats on going for your Masters. The last thing you need is an automobile headache as a distraction, plus transportation problems.
Get a loaner and leave the worrying to the mechanics.

WTF, I'm beginning to sound like that Old Philosopher - Angrybird 6+6.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #117
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
:

WTF, I'm beginning to sound like that Old Philosopher - Angrybird 6+6.

????

The Bird is the word!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #118
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
????
Don't shake your head. Read your signature tag line.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #119
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Don't shake your head. Read your signature tag line.
No philosopher here, just going on what I have learned from what life has dealt me. Especially in the last 2 years...

The Bird is the word!