Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
YellowGTO
 
Drives: GTO
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Philly
Posts: 40
2012 people are you worried about 2013 upgrade?

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone is reluctant to pick up 2012 because GM always sooms to add something the next model year?

I bought a 2001 Monte Carlo SS then they released a supercharged version
Then I picked up a 2004 GTO then they released a new one with bigger brakes, more HP and a new engine!:upset:
YellowGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,732
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Eventually you have to jump in. lol

You can always just do it better yourself later. 99% of the time it's better than the OEM stuff anyway.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Al C.
 
Al C.'s Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 673
Then why get the 2013 if the 2014 is going to be able to fly. Be happy with what youve got. 2012 all the way.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
AZ_Gixxer1000
 
AZ_Gixxer1000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Inferno Orange 6-spd
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ.
Posts: 53
limited number of 2012's is enough reason for me to NOT worry about 2013

besides, who says 13 is a lucky number anyway
AZ_Gixxer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
AZ_Gixxer1000
 
AZ_Gixxer1000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Inferno Orange 6-spd
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ.
Posts: 53
here is a thought... what if the 2013 is DOWNGRADED!?!

there is a reason for the extended QC hold. Chevrolet really tried to make the ultimate Camaro with this ZL1. what if they found out it was just "to much"

a downgrade is just as possible and an upgrade for 2013 if you ask me
AZ_Gixxer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Beechdoctor
 
Beechdoctor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 209
I doubt there will be any significant changes in 2013 ZL1 other than an increase in MSRP. It will only include changes in standard SS Camaro production design....perhaps a better nav system would be my only wish.

Speculation of a higher boost LSA to repsond to Ford???....this isnt a simple "throw a pulley on it and go" proposition for GM....the engine would require complete recertification to meet Federal regs....its always possible, but I'd bet heavily against this wish of many.

If GM did decide to push 650HP to match Ford, then the ZR1 crowd would cry bullsh!t!! Marketing is a carefully planned and thought-out process....just because GM can, doesnt mean they will.
Beechdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
Yes, realize that the Camaro isn't Chevrolets top dog.

The Corvette is.

In reality the Corvette is what is the comparison for the Shelby which is Fords top dog, so until now Chevrolet has had way higher hp than Shelby all along.

I could see boosting the ZR1 to over 650hp in response to the Shelby, but not the Camaro. I think the ZL1 does the job it was intended as a well rounded performance touring car.

I wouldn't argue if the ZL1's power was upped, just don't think its needed to beat the Shelby in performance.
__________________
2012 ZL1
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechdoctor View Post
I doubt there will be any significant changes in 2013 ZL1 other than an increase in MSRP. It will only include changes in standard SS Camaro production design....perhaps a better nav system would be my only wish.

Speculation of a higher boost LSA to repsond to Ford???....this isnt a simple "throw a pulley on it and go" proposition for GM....the engine would require complete recertification to meet Federal regs....its always possible, but I'd bet heavily against this wish of many.

If GM did decide to push 650HP to match Ford, then the ZR1 crowd would cry bullsh!t!! Marketing is a carefully planned and thought-out process....just because GM can, doesnt mean they will.
I really see some valid comments here and agree. However...

ZL1 has the next generation MR and EPS. No other top-model GM has those yet. ZL1 was the FIRST to introduce Gen III MR and EPS integration. For me - after taking that into account after considering your thoughts, you point, while usually right on track, might be less valid. I'm surprised to see no power or motor improvements for 'Vette, but I'm, now, not sold on the fact they won't necessary completelt restrict CAMARO in light of these new systems.

JMVHO.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Gixxer1000 View Post
here is a thought... what if the 2013 is DOWNGRADED!?!

there is a reason for the extended QC hold. Chevrolet really tried to make the ultimate Camaro with this ZL1. what if they found out it was just "to much"

a downgrade is just as possible and an upgrade for 2013 if you ask me



....ssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! you weren't s'posed to tell anyone............
__________________
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Topher3134
 
Drives: delete me
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: delete me
Posts: 418
I really don't see how people can say that because the zr1 is... I don't think they are the same market at all. I have never had the urge to buy a vette. But when I was at the Texas mile today I saw many ss camaros putting up big times. Even at 580 hp people will have 650 hp zl1 within a month of delivery. So why not do it from the factory. If it can be done then it should be! I don't think there is much to getting the fed cert. remember they retuned all the 6.7L ford diesels so that they made 800 Ft/lbs of torque.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher3134 View Post
I really don't see how people can say that because the zr1 is... I don't think they are the same market at all. I have never had the urge to buy a vette. But when I was at the Texas mile today I saw many ss camaros putting up big times. Even at 580 hp people will have 650 hp zl1 within a month of delivery. So why not do it from the factory. If it can be done then it should be! I don't think there is much to getting the fed cert. remember they retuned all the 6.7L ford diesels so that they made 800 Ft/lbs of torque.


Not exactly what you're referring to - but let me make a few comments....

Ford has one performance car -- the Mustang.

Chevrolet has two.

...meaning that there is substantially more 'investment' - not only in dollars, but manpower, supplier base, bricks and mortar, etc......


Engines are not 'plug and play' - remember that there are all sorts of algorithms that need to be developed and validated.....on top of that there is the ever-increasing CAFE standards to deal with.......
__________________
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
JMAN311

 
JMAN311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Yes, realize that the Camaro isn't Chevrolets top dog.

The Corvette is.

In reality the Corvette is what is the comparison for the Shelby which is Fords top dog, so until now Chevrolet has had way higher hp than Shelby all along.

I could see boosting the ZR1 to over 650hp in response to the Shelby, but not the Camaro. I think the ZL1 does the job it was intended as a well rounded performance touring car.

I wouldn't argue if the ZL1's power was upped, just don't think its needed to beat the Shelby in performance.
IMHO the Corvette will only be a direct comparison to the GT500 when it grows 2 more seats.
__________________
There just might be a 2016 Camaro or Corvette in my future...
_____________________________________________
Previous Chevy's
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Ryanbabz71


 
Ryanbabz71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Avon, Indiana
Posts: 4,710
C.A.F.E. = taking the fun out of the auto industry :(
__________________
Ryan
* 2012 2SS Camaro Convertible Ashen Gray
Car Build: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257256
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Yes, realize that the Camaro isn't Chevrolets top dog.

The Corvette is.

In reality the Corvette is what is the comparison for the Shelby which is Fords top dog, so until now Chevrolet has had way higher hp than Shelby all along.

I could see boosting the ZR1 to over 650hp in response to the Shelby, but not the Camaro. I think the ZL1 does the job it was intended as a well rounded performance touring car.

I wouldn't argue if the ZL1's power was upped, just don't think its needed to beat the Shelby in performance.
You are correct. The Camaro was made to battle the Mustangs. The Shelby (Mustang) was created to battle with the Corvette. Even the pricing reflected that.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Elimination Game: Camaro colors Ant Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 2739 04-10-2014 09:37 AM
GM Updates 2012 Silverado, Increased HD Capabilities FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 14 09-03-2011 01:13 PM
Two New Articles for ya on 2012 ZL1 & 2013 Shelby GT500 Blue Maro Demon Chevy Camaro vs... 24 07-21-2011 06:50 AM
NEW!! Voice Your MARKETING Suggestions/Input for Focus Group on 2010 Camaro. Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 114 05-08-2008 09:24 PM
Hey Tag! Have you been trained to draw blood yet? Silverado Off-topic Discussions 16 12-30-2007 09:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.