Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Dmh low pro e cutouts installation

What are people paying to get these installed? How important is it to be precise and a clean oval cut with the welding? Reason I'm asking is I've asked about the install at two different shops and got way different pricing.

Called a shop here blu808 and they explained the install process of removing the exhaust, doing all the welding and stuff and installing the pipes back. I would do the wiring myself. Said it would run me $350 for all the labor.

Went to a shop speedee mufflers where I've always gone for my welding needs. It seemed like he's never installed these oval type of cut outs before. He said he would do it without removing the pipes off the car. He would cut the oval with a torch and that there would be a small lip along the inside of the oval maybe 1/8" so the weld is good. I would wire it myself. He said he would weld on both pieces for $50.

Are there any risks with not removing the pipes for this type of welding vs. welding without the removal of the pipes? I'm kinda leaning towards the $50 install, but I'm not sure. It doesn't look like that complicated of an install?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I have these. You MUST remove the exhaust to get a full weld all the way around. The $50 job sounds like a hack. Avoid him. You'd be welding right next to the fuel line.

Here is how good I get the hole:

I have installed several sets. It's easy as long as you have space, and can cut and weld stainless.

I charge $150 to install and wire. I've seen up to $600 or more for just install. It's pretty easy. Takes me about 4 hours without a lift.

Sent while on baby duty.... please sleep
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
ducq

Awesome help irocanss! He just out up a DIy for this too. Helped a ton.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211709
Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
Awesome help irocanss! He just out up a DIy for this too. Helped a ton.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211709
No problem. Good luck with finding a place to put them on. Shouldn't be too tough to find a place!

Sent while on baby duty.... please sleep
Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Blu808

Drives: Hankook Formula Drift Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Blu808 Send a message via Yahoo to Blu808
One thing you should understand is that most muffler shops don't have a proper education in metallurgy. Any exhaust system you have on your camaro whether it be stock or aftermarket will be made of stainless steel. Stainless steel has excellent corrosion properties but it is very sensitive to heat. Any mig welding, torching, plasma cutting will stress the metal at a molecular level and harden it to a very high rockwell. This will most certainly lead to cracking, or even the entire welded area just crumbling (sugaring).

The reason we quoted $350 is because all of our stainless work is tig welded. Tig welding is a labor intensive process. We would have to mock up the cut-out flanges, remove the exhaust system, spend about an hour with an air saw cutting out the openings, then install the exhaust system. Next we would have to tack weld the flanges in place, remove the entire exhaust system, bench weld the flanges with the tig, and then install everything again.

Ultimately it is up to you. But there is a reason why muffler shops are muffler shops, and we are a race fabrication shop. A typical exhaust system on one of our race cars cost about $6k

Luke
Blu808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu808 View Post
One thing you should understand is that most muffler shops don't have a proper education in metallurgy. Any exhaust system you have on your camaro whether it be stock or aftermarket will be made of stainless steel. Stainless steel has excellent corrosion properties but it is very sensitive to heat. Any mig welding, torching, plasma cutting will stress the metal at a molecular level and harden it to a very high rockwell. This will most certainly lead to cracking, or even the entire welded area just crumbling (sugaring).

The reason we quoted $350 is because all of our stainless work is tig welded. Tig welding is a labor intensive process. We would have to mock up the cut-out flanges, remove the exhaust system, spend about an hour with an air saw cutting out the openings, then install the exhaust system. Next we would have to tack weld the flanges in place, remove the entire exhaust system, bench weld the flanges with the tig, and then install everything again.

Ultimately it is up to you. But there is a reason why muffler shops are muffler shops, and we are a race fabrication shop. A typical exhaust system on one of our race cars cost about $6k

Luke
TIG welding ain't cheap. I can TIG weld the hell out of some stainless, cold rolled, aluminum, ect.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
ducq

Quote:

Luke
Thanks, I will be scheduling this with you guys, just doing research as always. I've heard great things from you guys around the bay area.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:

Luke

Your process is exactly mine. It really isnt that tough, as long as you can properly weld the stainless! I do use a mig with a hybrid wire. I have had zero issues with any sugaring. You do have to be VERY careful not to over heat though. I am not sure about the mock, remove, cut, install, tack, remove, full weld though.... I skip the intermediate install and tack. I just mock up and mark the pipe, cut and weld. I don't bother with the second mock up and tack. I haven't messed up... yet.

$350 for a shop to do this is a VERY good price!

And.... you know what, I could not agree more with your last statement.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
Thanks, I will be scheduling this with you guys, just doing research as always. I've heard great things from you guys around the bay area.
GOOD CHOICE. Show them my DIY if you want them to hide the button under the power port flap. I like that way better than drilling a hole somewhere... plus its stealth!

Or were just having them mount the cutouts then you doing the wiring? Either way, the wiring is easy, just time consuming. Probably takes just as long to wire it up as it does to install the cutouts.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
Welding is an art and its equipment is an investment.

Just remember just cause you dont see it doesnt mean you should skimp on quality or cost.

You get what you pay for
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Blu808

Drives: Hankook Formula Drift Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Blu808 Send a message via Yahoo to Blu808
Did you end up getting these wired up?

Luke
Blu808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
ducq

Quote:
Did you end up getting these wired up?

Luke
Yes! I thought the wiring was going to take me a quick hour to connect them but I spent a few. Sounds really nasty with the cutouts open, now I can really hear my cam. I've been meaning to post a little video but havnt gotten a chance yet. Thanks for the great work, you guys are awesome. See you guys soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
Venom SS
Black BumbleBee!!!!

Drives: 1SSRS Black/Silver Stripes
please do i wanna hear!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
skip1718

Drives: 2011 2SS green w/black rally strips
i paid $399.00 from Vengenace. they did a great job. welded and installed in the switch where i wanted inside my car.
RX Catch Can
skip1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1718 View Post
i paid $399.00 from Vengenace. they did a great job. welded and installed in the switch where i wanted inside my car.
For the cutouts AND install or just install?

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.