Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Aktos

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2SS
Tires not breaking loose

I have a 2012 SS Auto (that is all 100% stock) that I took out today, drove it for 4o minutes or so then got on it and it will not break tires loose. It is about 80 degrees here, only use 93 octane, did fuse pull overnight after I bought it and refilled. Anyway put it in sport mode turned off TC and Stabilitrac and from a stop I punch it and all I get is a chirp wtf? Also can we not power brake these new cars anymore?

I did not try tap shifting usually it would break tires free in drive with traction control on.

Is it the perelli tires? or the warmer weather? Why is my V8 performing like a 1995 Geo Metro 3 cylinder?
Aktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Two things
1. You're in Texas and the warmer temps really make the stock Pirellis stick.
2. Torque managment

My car and many other stock L99 A6s would not spin the rear tires in warm weather (cooler air yes, but warm/hot weather, no). The Pirellis do hook well in warm conditons.

I got my car tuned (engine and transmission) and then it would spin the rear tires (even in hot weather). My car picked up about 30 ft lbs of torque below the curve (where you want it) from the tune. That is what gets the tires spinning off the line.

And don't worry. When you (if you) get modded, you'll be wishing your tires would hook up. My car has bolt ons + converter and I can't hook up to save my life on the street.
So traction is actually a very good thing to have.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Two things
1. You're in Texas and the warmer temps really make the stock Pirellis stick.
2. Torque managment

My car and many other stock L99 A6s would not spin the rear tires in warm weather (cooler air yes, but warm/hot weather, no). The Pirellis do hook well in warm conditons.

I got my car tuned (engine and transmission) and then it would spin the rear tires (even in hot weather). My car picked up about 30 ft lbs of torque below the curve (where you want it) from the tune. That is what gets the tires spinning off the line.

And don't worry. When you (if you) get modded, you'll be wishing your tires would hook up. My car has bolt ons + converter and I can't hook up to save my life on the street.
So traction is actually a very good thing to have.
+1. Well put. Torque management is the true culprit here. A custom tune is the best route to go if you don't mind possibly voiding the warranty. If you don't plan on getting into heavy mods a simple Diablo Sport or Superchips tuner will get the job done.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Aktos

does the torque management override the power braking even when traction control and stabilitrac are off?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
+1. Well put. Torque management is the true culprit here. A custom tune is the best route to go if you don't mind possibly voiding the warranty. If you don't plan on getting into heavy mods a simple Diablo Sport or Superchips tuner will get the job done.
the diablow and superchips will still void your warranty, no?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
the diablow and superchips will still void your warranty, no?
Yes they will.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
dannykay

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktos View Post
I have a 2012 SS Auto (that is all 100% stock) that I took out today, drove it for 4o minutes or so then got on it and it will not break tires loose. It is about 80 degrees here, only use 93 octane, did fuse pull overnight after I bought it and refilled. Anyway put it in sport mode turned off TC and Stabilitrac and from a stop I punch it and all I get is a chirp wtf? Also can we not power brake these new cars anymore?

I did not try tap shifting usually it would break tires free in drive with traction control on.

Is it the perelli tires? or the warmer weather? Why is my V8 performing like a 1995 Geo Metro 3 cylinder?
I'm in the boat as you.....fuse pull last night....93 oct....100% stock other than flow master exhausts and I can't even get the tires to scream.....doesn't seem like my car has the initial jump that it's suppose too
dannykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Aktos

can we not power stall anymore?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I have heard that the 2012 A6 SS cars have a a system that limits how the engine revs while the brake is applied. The older cars do not have this system (thankfully).

Seems they are trying to prevent us from playing with these cars!!!

Get a custom tune if your more interested in performance then warrantee. If it were me, I would put around 4000-5000 miles on the car in its stock form. Generally, if something serious is going to happen, it will happen early on and you will be covered under warrantee.

Once the car proves its self some that there are no problems that need to be corrected, then likely there will be very few issues with the car that the warrantee will cover anyway. They get a custom tune.

A good tune that turns off your torque management system will turn your L99 into a totally different beast. Its truely amazing the difference you will feel with a custom tune. Not only that you will get better shifting and fuel milage as well.

I would recommend Ted Jannetty at JRE racing and his crew 100% for tune and any other aftermarket performance parts as well as support, as good as any one or shop out there.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Try it in manual shift mode, first gear...
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Drive it for a while to make sure it is mechanically solid then get a Jannetty tune. Then learn how to feather the throttle to keep it from spinning when you don't want it to
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
i dont think you will really break it loose until more power. even my 450WHP camaro doesn't really have traction problems in hot weather. and that a lot more power over a stock l99.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Mine is a 2011 and if I press and hold the button until both lights come on; on the dash; I'm as loose as a goose (power brakes like a champ). I can't press the pedal all the way down from a light if I want to KEEP traction, with the lights on, with Stabilitrac on it gives me about 6 bouncy feet before it clamps down on the tarmac. Just sport mode and I'm a neutered house pet (little chirp). 340 rwhp 360 TQ from factory no tune no parts A6 L99.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
stlrammer

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS SGM
My manual breaks em loose easy. I'm running G Max AS-06 tires which are not as sticky as the PZeros. Seriously sorry as its disapointing. PZero is an amazing tire and designed to stick like glue in warmer climates and they do.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
I know before my mods I got a Vector Motorsport Tune that they send E-mail with the Engine and TCM tranny tune.. after I loaded that in, even when warm out if I got on it a little it would even chip pretty good when I hit 2nd Gear. Now I have to feather into it or I just spin for a mile.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
hot weather no go as all have said i have a m6 and can tell a big diff in spinning from a cool to a hot day

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
v8

Drives: GT500 and 14 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i dont think you will really break it loose until more power. even my 450WHP camaro doesn't really have traction problems in hot weather. and that a lot more power over a stock l99.
Agreed, I use to have a big block vette. All it had was headers and a cam and it was night and day to my SS, when I mean night and day I mean that my SS would get quite easily beat by the vette.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6

v8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
Strange to hear all this. I can't get my pirellis to stick at all, and live in Tx too. I'm not happy with them at all. Second gear if I stomp on it, it breaks loose easily. Sorry to hear about that
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
Aktos

that is weird that the 2011's can power brake and the 12's won't. When I apply the break and the gas the engine rpm stays very low like the computer limits it. I will try again today while engine is not super hot; then I will stomp it. Also will tune this crap out I didn't pay 40k to here a chirp. Is Jannety the best? or does anyone know a good local shop around DFW?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Aktos

Just got back in drive with traction control on (no light on dash) the car breaks loose and starts to slide sideways every time. In Manual mode just a chirp. In Manual mode using tap shift starting out in first gear just a chirp. Isn't that just back asswards from the way it is supposed to work?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Interesting.. I had a 2011 ss - stock A6 and had no issues power brake burnouts. I could sit and smoke them.

I now have a 2012 ss - A6 CAI and vmax ported throttle body. She only has about 2300 miles on her and I haven't tried a burnout yet.

Looks like it's time to try. Be back later Time to go for a "drive"
Old 03-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Mine is a 2011 and if I press and hold the button until both lights come on; on the dash; I'm as loose as a goose (power brakes like a champ). I can't press the pedal all the way down from a light if I want to KEEP traction, with the lights on, with Stabilitrac on it gives me about 6 bouncy feet before it clamps down on the tarmac. Just sport mode and I'm a neutered house pet (little chirp). 340 rwhp 360 TQ from factory no tune no parts A6 L99.
Ditto X10 on our 2010. I can rear wheel steer at will if I choose.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Interesting.. I had a 2011 ss - stock A6 and had no issues power brake burnouts. I could sit and smoke them.

I now have a 2012 ss - A6 CAI and vmax ported throttle body. She only has about 2300 miles on her and I haven't tried a burnout yet.

Looks like it's time to try. Be back later Time to go for a "drive"

Power braking is different than just mashing the go pedal from a dead stop. If you know what you're doing, you can get the tires to spin easier by power braking (building torque while applying the brake at the same time).

Things you need to take into account.
1. Road surface temperature
2. Tire temperature
3. Road surface - clean, dust/sand/dirt free, smooth, etc.

I just know that on a hot day, the stock Pirellis have excellent grip, and it's very common for a stock L99 A6 to not be able to spin its tires in summer like conditions.

But as mentioned, a good tune usually solves this problem (if its a problem).
Old 03-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
curiosity satisfied

No issues with burnouts in my 2012. All nannies off. Manual mode, 1st gear. Power brake burnouts.

The balance between braking and throttle is important. I think I may even have been able to shift to 2nd and kept it going. These Pirellis' are expensive so i don't think I'll be to doing much more of this.

81 degrees - clean asphalt
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
All everyone needs to do is get a supercharger. Trust me you will be bitching about it not hooking up. It is like night and day. I love it!!!
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote