Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
lalo_ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Cool over ride motosport DRL harness installed !

So i ordered my hid drl lights because the yellow ones were nasty , im pretty sure everybody has notices that but them i got bummed when i forgot you cant control the drl's so i ordered my drl harness from over ride motorsport and plug it in and these are my results ! it was the most easy thing to connect ! i recommend this for any one who wants their drl's with their headlights on or just the halos !
Attached Images

lalo_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
TonyC

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
what bulbs are you running?
Afe intake,Ported heads,ported manifold &TB,Big Cam, Arh longtubes w/3",25% underdrive,aluminum flywheel,zr1 clutch, tranzilla 6060, gforce 9" strac 430s...worst tune in the world...dc power 300amp alt, audison/kenwwod/cdt system.pfadt/eibach/hotchkis/bmr susp...vented/drilled rotors, hawk pads,s/s lines
work in progress : Full electric power steering & Airride
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
This is so much better than AAC's solution.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
lalo_ss

my drl's? and yeah this is so much easier took me like 5 minutes to install the harness
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
TonyC

yes which drls are you running? i have the acc leds but i lost half the leds on each bulb
Afe intake,Ported heads,ported manifold &TB,Big Cam, Arh longtubes w/3",25% underdrive,aluminum flywheel,zr1 clutch, tranzilla 6060, gforce 9" strac 430s...worst tune in the world...dc power 300amp alt, audison/kenwwod/cdt system.pfadt/eibach/hotchkis/bmr susp...vented/drilled rotors, hawk pads,s/s lines
Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
lalo_ss

i got them from ebay my friend got them first the box says iJDM toy LED Series
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380339629195...#ht_7143wt_927
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
lalo_ss

heres the bulb
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
TonyC

cool im gonna try them im not spending another 100 on leds that lasted a little over a year ., how mmuch were they?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
lalo_ss

45.99 for the bulbs and 42.50 for the harness
Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
TonyC

i have the harness already...i bought it a while back (not sure of company) but im gonna pick up the bulbs...thank you
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
lalo_ss

no problem , they look great !
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
TonyC

yes they do man...thats the way they shoulda come from the factory
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
lalo_ss

yeah idk why they would choose those yellow ones
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
You can get the bulbs on ebay for $6 shipped from China and there was a dude on here selling them for $25 shipped.

I installed them 2 weeks ago and they are still working
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
At least you received your DRL harness. Many people on here ordered from those people and never received the harness until they filed claims with Paypal.

Caveat Emptor
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
lalo_ss

well shipping was free and they bulbs got here in like 3 days and the drl harness took like 4 days no more than 7 days !
Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #17
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
OP - does the harness have diodes? TIA
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Macfolk
J.T.

Drives: Camaro 2SS w/RS package, Imp. Blue
Another option

Just a thought, but the splicing in of a single wire using quick taps on each side is sold as a kit from ijdmtoy.com for a little over a buck when you order the bulbs. Plus, I looked online for a coupon code and saved 10% on everything, about $45 including S&H.

It took me about 30 mins. total, even with my 9 year old nephew as a "helper"

If you have the time and inclination, you can save some money for another mod. There's a great DIY on the forums too.

Just my 2 cents,

Jason

Love this car!
Macfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
Macfolk
J.T.

DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Today I installed my new AAC LED P13 Daytime Running Lights (DRL). I am not a mechanic but have dabbled on quite a few cars over the years. If I can do this anyone can. Before I post the photos and my version of how I installed the LEDs... I must say the lights are everything I expected and more. The effect is good and I do enjoy night driving more now that there is even more front proximity light. This is due to the harness (jumper) install supplied by manufacturer.

A comment about the packaged goods. All came very well wrapped and protected in a large cardboard box. However, whoever did the packing for the harness left out two of the four needed T-Taps. Not worth calling AAC and waiting for a shipment. I went down to the local O'Reilly's Automotive Store and picked up a package of T-Taps which are good to have in your toolbox anyway!

To make it easier I decided to combine tasks. I needed to detail my wheel wells and front brake calipers and wheels so I put the car up on a jack stand and did each side one at a time.

For you first timers... always use a jack stand if you use a jack to lift your car to work on or under. The car should be on dry, level, hard ground, asphalt or concrete...not lawn! The car should be firmly on the jack stand and not weighted on the jack. Block the wheels if there is any chance of movement or rolling.

After removing my front drivers wheel I put the wheel cleaner on and let it soak while I removed the inner wheel well of the drivers side with the #15 Torx bit. There are three (3) torx screws holding it in place towards the front of the wheel well opening. It is not necessary to remove the whole wheel well liner. Be careful not to bend it too hard but you can gently fold it back behind the front of the suspension components to give yourself room to visualize the DRL and sidemarker wiring (which I will address later).

MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW AAC INSTRUCTIONS! Their xerox copy was hard to see so I looked at their online color instructions and video, although their video doesn't show the harness (jumper) connection.

DRIVERS SIDE - Identify the sidemarker positive (+) wire that is purple. Attach a T-Tap to that wire. I used a crimping tool to gently squeeze the T-Tap together. Be careful not to pull on the side marker wire as it may be possible to dislodge the sidemarker lamp from its socket. I did this on the passenger side and I had to invoke my wife's little hands to put it back in place! (Thank you Erica!) Then put a T-Tap on the blue positive (+) wire of the DRL. Finish up by connecting the harness (jumper) between the two T-Taps. I used black electricians tape to gently and securely wrap the T-Taps and the harness to the existing plastic wire shroud that runs to the DRL. Note... MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT TOO FAR APART BETWEEN T-TAPS!

Now it is time to go scrub the wheel and rinse it off! Wipe down water spots and let finish drying while you test and button everything back up!

Turn on your headlights and make sure the new LED powers up before you replace it in the socket and button everything up. Nothing worse then having to remove the inner wheel well a second time because you didn't check! My passenger side caused a bit more angst because I had a loose T-Tap connection. Re-crimping fixed that. If you have a good connection and the light works in the DRL mode and Headlight On mode you are good to go. Finish inserting the LED into the DRL lens assembly. Replace the wheel well liner and tighten the three (3) #15 torx screws.

Replace tire/wheel and torque to specifications with a torque wrench. (I avoid impact guns on chrome lugs.)

PASSENGER SIDE: Repeat process of wheel removal. And three (3) #15 Torx screws from inner wheel well plastic liner. The passenger sidemarker light has a brown positive (+) wire. Install a T-Tap on it and then a T-Tap on the Blue positive (+) wire on the DRL. Connect the harness between the two. It should look identical to the drivers side configuration. Check for power to the LED, use electrical tape to secure the T-Taps and harness to the plastic DRL housing. Let the light burn to make sure there is no infantile failure.

Now go scrub and rinse your second wheel. Wipe it down and let it finish drying.

Turn off the headlights and finish plugging in the LED to the DRL lens assembly. Secure the inner wheel well liner and tighten the three (3) #15 torx screws.

Reinstall front passenger wheel and safely lower down to ground and make sure wheel is torqued to specifications.

Now take a couple of minutes to bask in a successful modification to your car and snap a few photos for posterity and Camaro5.com and of course enjoy the beverage of choice! You earned it!

Hope this helped and I want to thank AAC again for a great little mod that is not only an improved safety feature but a rather inexpensive eye catcher!

ORANGE KRATE LOVES HIS NEW EYES! Motor on!
This helped me a lot and made the install very easy. There are pics on the original thread too. Note: I did not jack the car but just turned the wheels enough to have access.

Jason

Love this car!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
The whole idea of this and other harnesses to AVOID using t-taps. They introduce a point for corrosion entry as they cut thru the wire insulation and are generally unreliable...

This thing is sealed by o-rings and locks into place eliminating any connection issues. Mine has been in for over 2 years now without any problems...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
Macfolk
J.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
The whole idea of this and other harnesses to AVOID using t-taps. They introduce a point for corrosion entry as they cut thru the wire insulation and are generally unreliable...

This thing is sealed by o-rings and locks into place eliminating any connection issues. Mine has been in for over 2 years now without any problems...
I have thoroughly wrapped mine with electrical tape, shrunk to fit, and live in Florida, so corrosion is not so much an issue.

As far as reliability, purchasing the better taps and properly installing them and wrapping them, especially for this use-- not a vital system, should be just fine.

This is just one option for those of us saving money where we can. Nothing else.

No necessary.

Jason

Love this car!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfolk View Post
I have thoroughly wrapped mine with electrical tape, shrunk to fit, and live in Florida, so corrosion is not so much an issue.

As far as reliability, purchasing the better taps and properly installing them and wrapping them, especially for this use-- not a vital system, should be just fine.

This is just one option for those of us saving money where we can. Nothing else.

No necessary.

Jason
It may work but why compromise your wiring when you don't have to?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Macfolk
J.T.

To be honest, I enjoy getting my hands dirty and doing the work.

To each his or her own,

Jason

Love this car!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #24
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
I just did the install yesterday of my DRL lights to work as fogs as well. I attached pics of how they look with the 68 LED bulbs installed in there.
Attached Images

wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
lalo_ss

damn that looks nice !