Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

View Poll Results: Was your PTB worth it?
Yes, my ported throttle body was worth the money. 35 74.47%
No, my ported throttle body wasn't worth the money. 12 25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Ported Throttle Bodies: A Poll to Condense the Threads!

Very simple:

Yes, I think my ported throttle body was worth the money.

No, I don't think my ported throttle body was worth the money.

I'd like to see just how many didn't see a difference. Help us that haven't pulled the trigger decide!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
it's worth it. The price of this mod is very reasonable for the increase in throttle response.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
May want to add a CNC ported vs a hand ported due to the large difference there as well.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I feel the VMax was worth the relatively small amount of money it costs.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
nighttowl

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS
very noticeable bump in throttle response, great bang for the buck.
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3
hmmm, 22-6 in favor of currently, I am wondering about this as well and I am on the fence. My fiance had a chevy colorado truck and we got a ported TB for better response which was noticeable,and many forum guys were doing it and it became popular for colorado owners,but after install however it affected what was a smooth idle and created little bit of a dipping when at red lights. I am wondering if this carrys over regardless of vehicle, I also began to not notice it as much(throttle response), hence made me wonder if the ecm had reset it self or adjusted. Any input from you guys that have had yours for "some time now"?,as i am in limbo and have to think down the road as I will end up fast intake,fuels rails etc. and have to change it anyways?
thread subscribed
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
nighttowl

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS
ive never noticed any idle issues.

also, when installing the throttle body, i noticed why this mod is so popular. there is a LOT of material added onto the inlet of the throttle body at the factory, probrably to improve drivability is my guess, but at the cost of throttle response. maybe someone will post some before and after pictures.
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
I've got the Powder Pro ported tb and my idle issues are only when the motor is cold, oh wait maybe the big ass cam I have has something to do with that?! No seriously there's no issues because of the tb.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
CNC = absolutely worth it.

Voted accordingly.
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
TooManySS's

Drives: Jedi Mind Trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
hmmm, 22-6 in favor of currently, I am wondering about this as well and I am on the fence. My fiance had a chevy colorado truck and we got a ported TB for better response which was noticeable,and many forum guys were doing it and it became popular for colorado owners,but after install however it affected what was a smooth idle and created little bit of a dipping when at red lights. I am wondering if this carrys over regardless of vehicle, I also began to not notice it as much(throttle response), hence made me wonder if the ecm had reset it self or adjusted. Any input from you guys that have had yours for "some time now"?,as i am in limbo and have to think down the road as I will end up fast intake,fuels rails etc. and have to change it anyways?
thread subscribed

Well you saw it first hand after actually owning one for a length of time.
ECM learns the change and it goes away.
Your idle problems could be associated with the throttle body being weakened up.
Look at the amount of threads anywhere saying how to be careful from breaking through because of how thing the walls are. The amount of heat and cooling cycles these goes through, the fact its Aluminum and thats acceptable to some good expansion and contraction movements and known to crack because of them you can end up getting some vacuum leaks and other such problems due to the porting.
TooManySS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
thread subscribed
I have 33k miles on my car and at minimum 20K with the VMax cnc ported TB. My idle is no different than the day I got the car. As far as structural integrity, I've had mine off an on a few times and have changed out and tested different CAIs (over and over again) and it still looks like new.

Just to note, if you are worried about whether you'll like the TB, SC2150 will refund you, if you don't. I know there are several vendors that carry these but as far as I know he is the only one to offer this deal and also won't charge a restocking/processing fee.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3
thanks for the input thread from all so far. I will continue to monitor this thread and experiences as I too want to see how the vote ends up and hear evryones theorys.
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote