Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 05-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
SteveV

Drives: 2013 VR Camaro 2SS 1LE
Alignment Question

I have read several threads about tire sizes and I get why Chevy went with the same size at all 4 corners.

But, after tracking my 1LE, I feel I need more traction at the rear. With the traction control in Competition Mode, I was able to put down the power sooner and found that while I never pushed the front end out, I had several corners where I could over power the rear tires coming out of the corner.

So I want to go to the 305/35-20 rear from the ZL1 to get a little more traction out of the corners.

So, my question is this: should I have the front and rear alignment changed to take better advantage of the tire size change?

If so, what settings should I shoot for?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I have probably 7 track day's on mine, and have never had this issue. I all but set a track record(not really but the point has been made) for my class at Fontana. Sometimes i get on it early and cut loose, but that's cause getting on it early. If you change to 305's you will be upsetting the natural characteristics(under steer/over steer) of the car. I would stay just how you are and work on you getting more comfortable with your baby.

Last edited by cornerspeed92; 05-16-2014 at 07:10 PM.
cornerspeed92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
What is your current alignment specs? Changing your tire size shouldn't require different alignment specs. I haven't run into the problem your describing, Unless I'm too aggressive getting back on the throttle. In that case even with 305's im not sure it would help much. How much power are you making?

F/S: New SW rocker panels, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318642

F/S: 1LE front brakes, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374575

F/S: 27mm adjustable front and 28mm rear sway bars http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374583
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
First, find out exactly what alignment settings you have as the car sits now. Believe it or not, this can be done on a DIY basis. Depending on what you find, rear cambers a little more negative might be something to try. The Pedders alignment table typically stands the rear tires up a little straighter to coax the rear into helping rotate the car as you move up the ladder into harder track driving; you seem to want the opposite.

Do not assume that all settings are at "factory preferred", and there's even a smallish chance that one or more of them could even be outside the factory range entirely.

If you add more rear grip with wider tires, you might create a midcorner push that wouldn't be any more welcome than the inability to put power down as fast and as soon as you apparently expect . . . and more frustrating to boot.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
SteveV

Drives: 2013 VR Camaro 2SS 1LE
Thanks. All good advice.

White_SS. I have run into the problem with the rear breaking loose on 2 corners on the north course at VIR. It almost always happened at turn 7. This is a sharp right-hander while going up hill. I would enter the corner in 2nd gear and my instructor kept telling me to get on the gas harder and sooner in the corner. Nearly everytime I did, the rear would break loose and I would slide to the left. THIS is why I want more traction.

Now, granted, I have not put the original Goodyears back on yet. I am running Michelin Super Sports. I have the 285/35-20 on the front and 295/35-20 on the rear. I had planned on switching back to the Goodyears when it got warmer and before I went to VIR in April, but never had the time to get to the tire shop to have them switched.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Obviously there are such things as too much harder, too much sooner, or too much of some of each.

Which course were you running? I've never been there and only have track maps for reference.
Was that turn off-camber at all, did it crest a small rise, or do anything else that might have unloaded a rear wheel right when you were adding early throttle?

What do the outer tread ribs on those tires look like now? I gather from a couple of fast West Coast members here that PSS likes (needs) more than stock camber.

Do you have an aftermarket tune? Many of these (and even some OE tunes) can get in the way of the smooth throttle tip-in that either autocrossing or road course driving demands as you approach the car's cornering limits.

What does your instructor drive and is it on R-compound tires?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-17-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote