Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #596
KMK454
 
KMK454's Avatar
 
Drives: 91 B4C Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 259
Hm, I thought all the 1LE threads about "should we build it" were based on building it just like the concept... but skimming this thread and the press release, I gather:

No side skirts
No ZL1 brakes
No hashmarks
No blackout grill area
No black mirrors
No MRC

I prefer a regular sport suspension to the MRC, but missing the brakes is a downer. However, now finding out that the side skirts, hashmarks, grill and mirrors will be different? It may come in at under $40k but it'll take a few dollars to mod it back to where the concept was... and damn does that concept look great!
__________________
Kurt
1991 Camaro B4C - 305/T5

1978 Chevrolet Silverado
2005 Corvette Z51 6-speed - sold
2008 Corvette Z06 - sold
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #597
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
Hm, I thought all the 1LE threads about "should we build it" were based on building it just like the concept... but skimming this thread and the press release, I gather:

No side skirts
No ZL1 brakes
No hashmarks
No blackout grill area
No black mirrors
No MRC

I prefer a regular sport suspension to the MRC, but missing the brakes is a downer. However, now finding out that the side skirts, hashmarks, grill and mirrors will be different? It may come in at under $40k but it'll take a few dollars to mod it back to where the concept was... and damn does that concept look great!

I Like it. However i'm bummed at the brake change, and lack of side skirts.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #598
smokeyfan1000
 
Drives: Volvo 240
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: whitsett NC
Posts: 19
Would need a 302 to be a true Z28. Doubt they'll make a Z28.
smokeyfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #599
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
this may be a little off topic,but i was just thinking of the few times i have watched West Coast Customs nad their builds of Camaro's for Celebs,i have'nt seen one build on that show of a Mustang.? maybe they have and i just hav'nt seen that episode...?
They just did one for Microsoft. I haven't seen it yet, just previews to it. I think it's going to be aired this weekend. They are taking an old mustang and fitting it on new mustang chassis with LOTS of custom work. I've always wondered how good they really are when it comes to guaranteeing their workmanship.
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #600
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Jetta. At least it's red.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Joisey
Posts: 3,877
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3d83d View Post
I read through some of this post and I've already been to the dealer to talk to them about this package (1LE). Of course, they don't really have any information about it yet. (always the last to know - as they put it) I really hope that they offer it in IOM with IOM interior! IF they do, I'm 100% sold on this package! That's one thing I'm struggling with about the ZL1; no IOM interior. I know it's a ZL1 and that should be enough, I just REALLY want the IOM interior!

I'm glad I waited this long to get a Camaro! Choices, Choices!!
I also hope to get the IOM interior with the 1LE. Some of the original info said that the 1LE would only be offered in red. Hopefully we can pick colors.
__________________
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #601
tooslow
Banned
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
Would need a 302 to be a true Z28. Doubt they'll make a Z28.
Ssshhhh...don't tell that to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Z28's. I'm positive none of them came with a 302 CID motor. Maybe you and htron should invent a time machine and go back to the '60's where you seem to want to live.

If Chevy elects to put a Z28 badge on a car, guess what, it's a Z28 regardless of what you or anyone else thinks the characteristics of a Z28 should be.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #602
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Ssshhhh...don't tell that to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Z28's. I'm positive none of them came with a 302 CID motor. Maybe you and htron should invent a time machine and go back to the '60's where you seem to want to live.

If Chevy elects to put a Z28 badge on a car, guess what, it's a Z28 regardless of what you or anyone else thinks the characteristics of a Z28 should be.
..oh boy, here we go....
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #603
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,008
Thank you GM!

I rented a camaro some time ago and my impressions were. Engine: Excellent. Brakes: Excellent. Handling: Good....but not Excellent. However, the ride quality was amazing. Compared to the cars I have it handled like a luxury car which was impressive.

So naturally when they made changes to the suspension in 2012 I was going to get one of those, but now the 1LE package is available on the 2013's which seems exactly what I would want. Since this will be more DD and less track car (for now) I have to ask to make sure I'm making the right choice:

Quote:
Again - the 1LE is NOT for everyone - it's a bit harsher than the SS.
How much harsher are we talking about? The SS that I rented was excellent on bumps. I could live taking it from excellent to good in ride quality for excellent instead of good handling. I just don't know if I want to handle bone jarring.

As for the transmission. Are the cooling and gearing changes all there is or has it been beefed in other ways? Any changes to the syncro's or other parts?

I have also taken a look at the new final ratio and gear ratios and I am not a speed calculating expert, but here is what I got using this calculator. Can someone tell me if this is accurate or if I should go back to math class?

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

I used 27.8544 for the tire diameter, 6,600 for the rpm.

So with the 3.45 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the SS I get max speeds of
1st: 53 mph
2nd: 77 mph
3rd: 111 mph
4th: 159 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 278 mph

With the new 3.91 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the 1LE I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 79 mph
3rd: 108mph
4th: 140 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 280 mph

It looks like first gear comes out to exactly the same.

Second gear is actually slightly taller on the 1LE, but very minimal (around 100 rpm)

Third gear is a little shorter on the 1LE, but not much again (around 100 rpm)

Now 4th gear is where you notice the shorter gearing of the 1LE.

The overdrives are pretty much exactly the same as well so it looks like you can still sip fuel in granny mode. Very nice. It looks like this is still a great daily driver.

Of course, that's if my calculations are correct???

My last impression of the rental camaro was that it was too damn quiet and refined, but I can see how some people might like that. I was going to solve that with an aftermarket exhaust, but maybe the dual mode exhaust on the 2013's will be exactly what I wanted stock!

Last edited by cbass; 03-30-2012 at 01:11 AM.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #604
Camaricopa
 
Camaricopa's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS BLK/ORG
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maricopa, Az
Posts: 69
So they teased me with the SSX Concept and this is what they came up with? Who are they marketing this car to? I am sure I will see some around when the're available. I'll see them in Mall Parking lots on Saturday Night with the owner relaxed in a lawn chair next to it. If you are thinking of waiting to buy a 1LE to be able to take a Camaro out on the track, don't waste your time or money. Go buy a 2010 M6 SS, invest the difference in price up to 40K and you would eat this ILE for a lite bedtime snack.
I feel like a kid at christmas who opened his present to find a pair of freakin' sox!
Camaricopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #605
Rock36
I just like V8s
 
Rock36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

I used 27.8544 for the tire diameter, 6,600 for the rpm.

So with the 3.45 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the SS I get max speeds of
1st: 53 mph
2nd: 77 mph
3rd: 111 mph
4th: 159 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 278 mph

With the new 3.91 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the 1LE I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 79 mph
3rd: 108mph
4th: 140 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 280 mph

It looks like first gear comes out to exactly the same.

Second gear is actually slightly taller on the 1LE, but very minimal (around 100 rpm)

Third gear is a little shorter on the 1LE, but not much again (around 100 rpm)

Now 4th gear is where you notice the shorter gearing of the 1LE.

The overdrives are pretty much exactly the same as well so it looks like you can still sip fuel in granny mode. Very nice. It looks like this is still a great daily driver.

Of course, that's if my calculations are correct???

My last impression of the rental camaro was that it was too damn quiet and refined, but I can see how some people might like that. I was going to solve that with an aftermarket exhaust, but maybe the dual mode exhaust on the 2013's will be exactly what I wanted stock!
Aren't the transmission ratios the same for both cars? I can't see where they changed.
__________________
"Anyone know who sells the driver mods?"

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #606
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Thank you GM!

I rented a camaro some time ago and my impressions were. Engine: Excellent. Brakes: Excellent. Handling: Good....but not Excellent. However, the ride quality was amazing. Compared to the cars I have it handled like a luxury car which was impressive.

So naturally when they made changes to the suspension in 2012 I was going to get one of those, but now the 1LE package is available on the 2013's which seems exactly what I would want. Since this will be more DD and less track car (for now) I have to ask to make sure I'm making the right choice:

How much harsher are we talking about? The SS that I rented was excellent on bumps. I could live taking it from excellent to good in ride quality for excellent instead of good handling. I just don't know if I want to handle bone jarring.

As for the transmission. Are the cooling and gearing changes all there is or has it been beefed in other ways? Any changes to the syncro's or other parts?

I have also taken a look at the new final ratio and gear ratios and I am not a speed calculating expert, but here is what I got using this calculator. Can someone tell me if this is accurate or if I should go back to math class?

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

I used 27.8544 for the tire diameter, 6,600 for the rpm.

So with the 3.45 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the SS I get max speeds of
1st: 53 mph
2nd: 77 mph
3rd: 111 mph
4th: 159 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 278 mph

With the new 3.91 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the 1LE I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 79 mph
3rd: 108mph
4th: 140 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 280 mph

It looks like first gear comes out to exactly the same.

Second gear is actually slightly taller on the 1LE, but very minimal (around 100 rpm)

Third gear is a little shorter on the 1LE, but not much again (around 100 rpm)

Now 4th gear is where you notice the shorter gearing of the 1LE.

The overdrives are pretty much exactly the same as well so it looks like you can still sip fuel in granny mode. Very nice. It looks like this is still a great daily driver.

Of course, that's if my calculations are correct???

My last impression of the rental camaro was that it was too damn quiet and refined, but I can see how some people might like that. I was going to solve that with an aftermarket exhaust, but maybe the dual mode exhaust on the 2013's will be exactly what I wanted stock!
I think you need to double check your calculations There is NO Camaro that can do those top speeds that you have calculated. I believe the SS (stock) is top rated @ 165 mph and it's governed to 155 mph. The impression I've gotten from some of the members here that do partake in HPDE (High Performance Driving Events) the main focus of the car I believe is for those track days that speeds will average from 20 - 120 mph and to be able to handle twisties at higher than normal g's for extended periods of time.

I also rented a Camaro 2SS a few months and was extremely happy with the ride quality (compared to my old Camaros and rides as well if not better than my DD).

To somewhat answer your question about the ride quality with the 1LE option package, I remember Fbodfather stating it was "eye-squinting" as opposed to bone-jarring. If you're looking to use the Camaro as a DD, my recommendation would be to get the SS of your choice and then when you feel you are ready to begin your adventures on the track, you could trade it in for another SS w/1LE package. Good luck in your quest
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #607
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Thank you GM!

I rented a camaro some time ago and my impressions were. Engine: Excellent. Brakes: Excellent. Handling: Good....but not Excellent. However, the ride quality was amazing. Compared to the cars I have it handled like a luxury car which was impressive.

So naturally when they made changes to the suspension in 2012 I was going to get one of those, but now the 1LE package is available on the 2013's which seems exactly what I would want. Since this will be more DD and less track car (for now) I have to ask to make sure I'm making the right choice:

How much harsher are we talking about? The SS that I rented was excellent on bumps. I could live taking it from excellent to good in ride quality for excellent instead of good handling. I just don't know if I want to handle bone jarring.

As for the transmission. Are the cooling and gearing changes all there is or has it been beefed in other ways? Any changes to the syncro's or other parts?

I have also taken a look at the new final ratio and gear ratios and I am not a speed calculating expert, but here is what I got using this calculator. Can someone tell me if this is accurate or if I should go back to math class?

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

I used 27.8544 for the tire diameter, 6,600 for the rpm.

So with the 3.45 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the SS I get max speeds of
1st: 53 mph
2nd: 77 mph
3rd: 111 mph
4th: 159 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 278 mph

With the new 3.91 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the 1LE I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 79 mph
3rd: 108mph
4th: 140 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 280 mph

It looks like first gear comes out to exactly the same.

Second gear is actually slightly taller on the 1LE, but very minimal (around 100 rpm)

Third gear is a little shorter on the 1LE, but not much again (around 100 rpm)

Now 4th gear is where you notice the shorter gearing of the 1LE.

The overdrives are pretty much exactly the same as well so it looks like you can still sip fuel in granny mode. Very nice. It looks like this is still a great daily driver.

Of course, that's if my calculations are correct???

My last impression of the rental camaro was that it was too damn quiet and refined, but I can see how some people might like that. I was going to solve that with an aftermarket exhaust, but maybe the dual mode exhaust on the 2013's will be exactly what I wanted stock!
I must agree with you on the last point, when a car is super refined and quiet it makes the car feel slower then it really is.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #608
Rock36
I just like V8s
 
Rock36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I think you need to double check your calculations There is NO Camaro that can do those top speeds that you have calculated. I believe the SS (stock) is top rated @ 165 mph and it's governed to 155 mph. The impression I've gotten from some of the members here that do partake in HPDE (High Performance Driving Events) the main focus of the car I believe is for those track days that speeds will average from 20 - 120 mph and to be able to handle twisties at higher than normal g's for extended periods of time.

I also rented a Camaro 2SS a few months and was extremely happy with the ride quality (compared to my old Camaros and rides as well if not better than my DD).

To somewhat answer your question about the ride quality with the 1LE option package, I remember Fbodfather stating it was "eye-squinting" as opposed to bone-jarring. If you're looking to use the Camaro as a DD, my recommendation would be to get the SS of your choice and then when you feel you are ready to begin your adventures on the track, you could trade it in for another SS w/1LE package. Good luck in your quest
Those top speeds in 5th and 6th a theoretical based on if the car had the power to reach redline (6600 rpm) in 5th and 6th gear. It doesn't have the power obviously so it won't reach those speeds, but the gearing could accommodate such speeds if the power was available.
__________________
"Anyone know who sells the driver mods?"

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #609
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Those top speeds in 5th and 6th a theoretical based on if the car had the power to reach redline (6600 rpm) in 5th and 6th gear. It doesn't have the power obviously so it won't reach those speeds, but the gearing could accommodate such speeds if the power was available.
Thanks for that information Wow, imagine if it did have that kind of power, it would give warp drive a whole new meaning
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #610
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,644
I guess with that kind of power, we're talking Funnycar dragsters with 2000+ HP
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #611
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
This is awesome news, I want this bad, but I just paid off my car and the wife wants no car note for a while. Dang! (can Pedders mod this suspension?)
Yes! It's not MRC, already talked to Pete!
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #612
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Yes! It's not MRC, already talked to Pete!
Just noticed something cool. If you take the 1LE and SS and combine them, you have 1LESS. Which means 1 Less as in 1 lb less than 3850. 3849 lbs.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FE3 to ZL1 Zway Bar UpgradeZ and ZL1 ZuZpenZion PackageZ JusticePete Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 111 05-08-2013 11:38 PM
Modern Camaro Performance Parts - www.PartsTaxi.com PartsTaxi.com Sponsor Announcements / Giveaways / Contests 0 10-06-2010 05:26 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 3 07-30-2010 01:05 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Off-topic Discussions 0 07-28-2010 09:28 AM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.