Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
L99 Hate

I'm getting the auto version of the 2SS, and I'm seeing A LOT of L99 hate on the boards, in the performance side of it. I undestand off the bat it's 26 HP lower, but I was curious if there is any real basis in some of these discussions.

Further on down the road, I would like to add some stuff on to my car, maybe GMPP CAI or a bolt-on SC or Turbo, but I am NOT interested in driving a stick. However, I don't want to be paying close to 40K for a car, and be disadvantaged right out of the gate because I picked an auto over a manual.

So I guess my real question is, does the whole L99 hate stem from the Stick vs. Auto debate, or is there real performance truth behind it.

-------

I've done some performance upgrades on my VW Passat, but I would consider myself a beginner to performance/tuning/gear-heading, so please no picking on me
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Don't worry what other people say- their "higher" performance cars will consistently be running slower at the track after some modifications to the auto.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I think a lot of the complaints have been caused by people starting in 2nd gear. The auto will do this to save gas. I think it's been mentioned that turning off traction control will start it in first and give you that feeling of stronger acceleration.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."

Please help me fight back by supporting me in the 2010 American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Every little bit helps. Click here for more information. Thank you to those that have donated!
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
You should get what you want and not worry about what others say. you can do modifications just the same as the manual in most cases. Stock for Stock the manual will be faster though.

Crowley
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
there are a LOT of people out there with the mentality that if it isnt a stick or a v8, its not a muscle car. yet, go to any pro drag race and the fastest cars running down the track are autos. some people are just stuck in an old mentality. which is understandable considering past automatics have only been 2, 3, or 4 speeds. now this A6 with the aggressive rear gearing will def shut some people up.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I think that some someone dumped Haterade into several local water supplies. The L99 is a very impressive machine. Some people just feel the need to point out how they are superior, as if to justify their purchases.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
there are a LOT of people out there with the mentality that if it isnt a stick or a v8, its not a muscle car. yet, go to any pro drag race and the fastest cars running down the track are autos. some people are just stuck in an old mentality. which is understandable considering past automatics have only been 2, 3, or 4 speeds. now this A6 with the aggressive rear gearing will def shut some people up.
You have to remember though .. there is a reason it is an auto ..

1.) Do you really want to worry about shifting when you are going that fast?
2.) I would say with the auto you will be able to run more consistant times.

That doesn't mean you can't go just as fast w/ the manual ..

Again .. to the OP .. be happy with what you choose since you will be driving it .. don't worry about what others say ...

Crowley
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
I do belive the auto is up to par performance wise.. but it's more the muscle car with an auto bothers most people. especially the old schoolers.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Flynbyu

Drives: 2008 Corvette/2001 Tahoe
I'm really suprised GM didn't offer the LS3 in the automatic as well since they offer it in both auto and manual versions of the Corvette. I wouldn't be afraid of the L99. Besides, a few minor bolt ons and you will not have anything to worry about.

~Brian
Flynbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Verio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Again .. to the OP .. be happy with what you choose since you will be driving it .. don't worry about what others say ...

Crowley
Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to get a consensus on what others thought of the two engines. I guess I'm just getting anxious to get my car, like everyone else is!!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
Personally, it doesn't matter to me. I couldn't pass up the 26HP and I wasn't a fan of the DoD in the G8. I know it's a different engine, but still bugged me. Not to mention that some of the G8 guys noticed some abnormal wear on the stock cams when swapping them out. Get what YOU want and drive it like you stole it.
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Said it before

Go with what you like. L99 or not, it dosen't matter. I actually have seen some reports (From this site) that had the 99 faster 0-60, mostly in cold weather. The LS3 is stronger but I know I'll have the car 10+ years, that's probably 5 million less shifts I have to make. That's good unless, you like to shift.
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Get a programer and adjust the shift Firmness.
it will shift better and you will also be able to pick up a few Xtra HP.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynbyu View Post
I'm really suprised GM didn't offer the LS3 in the automatic as well since they offer it in both auto and manual versions of the Corvette.
C.A.F.E. and the gas guzzler tax.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
Flynbyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFnSNO View Post
Get a programer and adjust the shift Firmness.
it will shift better and you will also be able to pick up a few Xtra HP.
It will also void your warranty if a failure were to occur.

~Brian
Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Verio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynbyu View Post
It will also void your warranty if a failure were to occur.

~Brian
I've already done that once. Not a good feeling when you take your car in, and the tech comes back out and says "Are you SURE you didn't have your ECU reprogrammed?!"
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Another for saying don't worry about what other people think. Who cares, except you? It's your money and your car. I'm sure that you'll be at least toe-to-toe with a lot of stick drivers out there, even though you're down on power. Having that six-speed instead of four is going to be a great advantage to past generations. If you still think you're slow, (like someone already suggested) get a tune and get that TM out, and get a mild-stalled converter. I can tell you that a big converter (well for the street) really helped the feeling and performance of my car. It's improved a half-second over the OEM converter. The stall converter is as close to an equalizer to a manual-car without actually adding power. It'll be a lot different on the street and around town, but if you want to run at least neck-and-neck with the stick boys, that's your ticket.

Either way, do what you want to do and don't worry about all the hate. If you've been to a track, you've probably noticed a lot of stick people can't drive all that well to start with, LOL (though, there are some out there and that's just d@mn impressive). Yeah it's more fun, but it's worthless as a poopy-flavored lollypop if you can't drive it.

JMHO.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Crowley

well TBH, most of the pro "autos" are still manually shifted. just without a clutch. as well as having dog-tooth gears isntead of helical style cut gears to ensure that it shifts when its supposed to.

ive already gone very fast in a manual and auto. ive gone faster in auto's however. with reverse manual valve bodies and all.

as said before to the OP. its whatever you want to do. just dont let yourself be pressured into going with one setup when you really prefer another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #19
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
HP is simply a calculated unit. Torque is what a dyno measures and is the force that drives the rear tires. Your bigger concern should be the torque spec. and at what RPM the max. torque occurs, the higher the better. So, yes there's a difference but realitively minor, the LS3 producing 420ft.lbs. at 4600 and the L99, 410ft.lbs. at 4300. Plus the auto may come off the line smoother helping even things up even more.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
Flynbyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
C.A.F.E. and the gas guzzler tax.

There is not a gas guzzler tax on Corvette.

There was no gas guzzler tax on Z06 until 2009.

~Brian

Last edited by Flynbyu; 05-04-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #21
Flynbyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I've already done that once. Not a good feeling when you take your car in, and the tech comes back out and says "Are you SURE you didn't have your ECU reprogrammed?!"

Not cool....That's for sure.

I've seen vehicles repo because the customer didn't have the money to fix the item they jacked up by reprogramming them.

We had one a few months ago...2008 Dodge Ram 2500. Failure of the #6 piston. Failure occurred at high rpm. This moron was running off-road diesel and had it programed. $14,000 engine cost, minus labor. It's a repo now.

~Brian
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #22
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
I've ordered an auto and have no regrets at all, even after the numbers. If you think about it the auto SS is heavier, a different somewhat tamer cam and has 26 hp less than the manual but it is faster to 60 and just a couple of clicks back in the quarter. Imagine what the possibilities are if you could lose 70 lbs and boost the hp by 26-30. I think that modern autos are far from the old slush boxes and is just as much muscle as any of the manuals out there.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
ChevyBoiSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
Ill say one thing, its 2009. Thats why they put the Paddle Shifters on the steering wheel. I live in Chicago and ill be damned if i have a sore left leg after driving a car.

Thinking bout Victory Red 1SS/RS with Matte Black Custom Stripes. Automatic Transmission (L99)
and apparently a $900 dollar whole in my roof.

OHH.. DID I MENTION 24" off THE GROUND?!
ChevyBoiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #24
DON GIOVANNI

Drives: BLACK/BLACK 2SS RS GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoiSS View Post
Ill say one thing, its 2009. Thats why they put the Paddle Shifters on the steering wheel. I live in Chicago and ill be damned if i have a sore left leg after driving a car.
EXACTLY! I'll be driving in and around NYC and I'd murder someone after a day of shifting all day in NYC traffic, that's if the clutch even makes it through the day. Ferrari's and Lambo's all have paddle shifting, just a lot better engineered but same concept.
DON GIOVANNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #25
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
I wanted the automatic, but after reading the description of the AFM system and how it works it just looked like too many expensive things that could go wrong later on after I voided the warranty with performance items.
Additionally, I had occasion to talk about it with an engineer from Eton (they designed it) after we each had a couple beers. He convinced me I was making a good move by going with the manual. Thank goodness the clutch in this Camaro is so easy to use.
Some people were turned off to the L99 in fear of how the exhaust would sound when it shuts down to 4 cylinders too. Especially if they put cat back louder systems on it. So its not that people are haters of the L99, its just that they can't justify paying nearly a grand more for it with these thoughts in mind.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote