Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #86
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
I can see how people are a bit sour about it Beeing in the 2013 and not the 2012!

A lot of us have been lobbying for the past couple years only to be told it won't work with the current layout! And then seeing 3rd party mfg offering it already and now GM following suit!

I think I'll be okay if we could get a confirmation on it being "retrofiteable" to the 2012 model... Any inside scoop on that one?
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #87
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
I can think of no scenario that would make me cancel my order. I made a contract based on my research and knowlege as of 11-1-11. Not too mention I cant friggin wait for delivery, but I also want it right and approved by QC.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #88
mlee
Charter Circle Member

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
I can think of no scenario that would make me cancel my order. I made a contract based on my research and knowlege as of 11-1-11. Not too mention I cant friggin wait for delivery, but I also want it right and approved by QC.
I'll get the Nav separately...
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #89
alex70olds
~~*~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'll get the Nav separately...
Will it be quick enough for a lap around MSR? Lol
Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #90
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
yeah it is easy to complain. like I would love the 1le if it had the LS7. I would buy that car in a heartbeat. should be about 45-46k I would think they probabably put a cost target on it that prevented that.

no matter what ford does, or nav or nav the ZL-1 and 1LE are better generations of camaro. show continual improvement. this is good.

they knocked out the Nav for 2013. maybe seats for 2014 or more power who knows. you can't complain about them not having it and then when they add it complain they did not add it to the same model year. not really fair.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #91
mickey123456

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
yeah it is easy to complain. like I would love the 1le if it had the LS7. I would buy that car in a heartbeat. should be about 45-46k I would think they probabably put a cost target on it that prevented that.

no matter what ford does, or nav or nav the ZL-1 and 1LE are better generations of camaro. show continual improvement. this is good.

they knocked out the Nav for 2013. maybe seats for 2014 or more power who knows. you can't complain about them not having it and then when they add it complain they did not add it to the same model year. not really fair.
It's not the fact that they added it. I'm pleased that they listened to us and added it. It's just that the model years are so close. I think it would be fair to allow us the touch screen as an option. If it were a year difference and there was difference I could care less, but the 2012 and 2013 will be a couple of months apart. I understand all of the comments posted on this thread, but I don't understand why announce it while we still haven't gotten our cars.
I just want it to be an option on our cars because two months later it will be an option on all new ZL1's.
mickey123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #92
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Let me assure those of you reading this: Janet can take you around the track at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park - and most will scream like 'lil school girls. This woman can DRIVE! (she's featured in some of our old Autoshow SS videos.......)

Disciples:

8 men
7 women
2 Canadians
the rest from various states

When we started: Youngest was 20 - oldest was ........well........I ain't sayin.....

All four Generations of Camaros were represented AS WAS Firebird and Corvette. (Janet is our "Corvette" representative....) (and she's patiently awaiting her ZL1 which is sitting in Oshawa and is "Bro Zeke's" twin brother.....

We have engineers, teachers, software engineers, marketing managers, business owners, Telecommunications engineers, guidance counselors, Service managers, Website owners, Website moderators, Body shop owners, Urban Planners, drag racers, autocrossers, -

...suffice it to say that each of the disciples is well-known within their enthusiast communities........and they are all 'rabid' Camaro Enthusiasts.

..and the most amazing part? THEY LOVE EACH OTHER! (they love to get together and celebrate these great cars and trucks....) They are not bashful in telling us what we need to hear........

Well that's all nice, but you forgot to add a father of 6 that is a Director of Business Services at the largest Cable company in the US that also happens to be the 3rd largest phone company.

Just sayin.

And I love them all and love getting together with them too!
And then there is this insurance guy from Canada that was smart enough to know Italian Restaurants are the best. LOL.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #93
Janet

Drives: 2015 Z06, 06 Silverado,
Quote:
No - the press release talks about an in-dash navigation system.

From the press release:

"Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment is available on all 2013 Camaro LT, SS
and ZL1 models. The color touch radio, with a 7-inch touch screen, also can be paired with an
available in-dash GPS navigation system – a first for the Camaro."
In my request for your Wish List the Navigation System was the Most Requested item. You have been asking for this and Chevy has been listening.

Janet
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #94
SSeemego

Drives: Yellow ZL1 6M exposed CF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
For our very first Disciple meeting our youngest member had graduated from college the day before she got on the plane to travel to Detroit. I am one of the oldest, if not the oldest at age ummm....ummmm....old. I no longer actively race, but I believe I can still handle a Z06 and hopefully a ZL1 on a racetrack.

Just as Camaro5 covers the full spectrum so does the group of Disciples. Our job is to represent all of you.
Janet
Janet,
You know if you "hire" me as a disciple it would move you to the younger age end of the disciple age scale

When I visit CA can I get a ride in your ZL1?

Gary
SSeemego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #95
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
This is why you don't buy a car until it is physically on the market.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for all the "OMG I GOTTA BE THE FIRST. I HIT STATUS 7628410 TODAY" people. You made your bed and committed for whatever reason, so deal with it.

Welcome to the daily-evolving auto industry.

I don't know how many care about being "the first to have it". In my case, the ZL1 looked like the right car for what I want, at the right time (relied on Mid March). For the past year I did a lot of reaearch/test driving and I would have settled for the M3 Coupe if it wasn't for the ZL1. It looks like it's great performance, fairly unique (up until the 1LE announcement) for the right price. I will make the decision to buy it once I drive it obviously. So the bed is made but I'm not in it yet. I still have to be convinced to push the button. The closeness to '13MY and teh additional features certainly muddy the waters for me... that's why I'm relying on the members here for ideas. Thanks for that!
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #96
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey123456 View Post
I just want to express how disappointing it is to be waiting for a car for months only to find out it's going to be upgraded for 2013. The fact that there will be a touchscreen on a car that maybe comes out 1-2 months later is frustrating. I don't want to hear those of you that talk about "you'll never get a car if you wait for next years updates." This is not a very intelligent comment for this situation because the 2013 comes out a couple of months after the 2012. Also, there those of you that talk about how the 2012 will give you a "permagrin." Wouldn't the 2013 do the same, but with better options? Companies shouldn't update a car that isn't even in the hands of the customers. This is a fail by GM. To me there are a couple of options, and I'd like to know what you guys would do of you were me.

1. Cancel 2012 and wait for 2013.
2. Cancel order all together, keep SS, and keep around 35k cash.
3. Wait it out and hope GM offers the touch screen as an option for the 2012 ZL1.

Primarily, I'd like to hear what you guys are doing to see if I am the only one who is disappointed.

I was going to cancel it.......but i cancelled it!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #97
N3TKE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS CAMARO,72 NOVA
I cancel my order and bought a Vette and I'm so glad I did the Vette is 10 times better than any ZL1 . I bought a centennial edition 2012. GM should've had the car ready before they started taking orders it's ridiculous that six months have gone by and my order still has not been picked up well it's canceled now. and loving the Vette
N3TKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #98
alex70olds
~~*~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
In my request for your Wish List the Navigation System was the Most Requested item. You have been asking for this and Chevy has been listening.

Janet
How dare Chevy give us what we want! This is an outrage! lol
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #99
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3TKE View Post
I cancel my order and bought a Vette and I'm so glad I did the Vette is 10 times better than any ZL1 . I bought a centennial edition 2012. GM should've had the car ready before they started taking orders it's ridiculous that six months have gone by and my order still has not been picked up well it's canceled now. and loving the Vette
Congratulations in the purchase of an awesome car but I wouldn't say it's ten times better or at least qualify it. It is ten times better for your purposes.

It wouldn't be ten times better for me, that's why I sold my Z06 int he first place. The ZL1 is a better fit for my needs and a great car in it's own right.

Best of luck with the Centennial Edition, they are great cars!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #100
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3TKE View Post

well - we're certainly glad that you chose a Corvette - -

.....but - how do you know that "...the Vette is 10 times better than any ZL1"?

(....unless someone let you drive a CTF - and if you had driven one, I don't think you'd say what you just said )

I don't know of any manufacturer that has "..the car ready before they started taking orders......." That's not how this business works. Again, we could have just shipped the cars and said "the heck with it......" - but that's a very short-sighted approach.

No question that the Corvette is one heck of a car.....that said, there ARE differences. One of the things I like best about the Camaro (versus the Corvette) is the 'livability' -- The Corvette has it in aces when it comes to visual appeal and handling.......BUT -- it does come with a price (again, in my opinion) and that's the road noise and ride at 70mph. One of the things that we got loud and clear when we started work on the 5th gen is that the car had to remain a Camaro - BUT - it had to be more refined over the 4th gen.

When we met our fellow enthusiasts at Camaro5Fests and the Oshawa Homecoming, I lost count of the number of people who raved about how comfortable the Camaro is on a long trip - AND - how, at 70mph you can have a conversation with your passenger in the right front seat using a normal tone of voice.......

It all depends on looking at the various elements that each car offers - and then making informed choices. I love the Z06 and the GrandSport --- but for living with a car from day to day - Camaro's my choice -- and the ZL1 makes it even clearer in that the ZL1 is probably the best riding Camaro we've ever produced. (while in 'tour' mode!)

Best of luck with your Corvette and we hope you'll have many, many miles of smiles - and again, thank you for choosing GM and Chevy!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #101
Edwin320

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS M6
Quote:
there are actually three radios - (I don't think I'm out of bounds talking about this - if I am - sorry fellow team members)

The LS still gets the radio that we use in the 2010-2012 Camaro. It includes a CD player.

There is a touch screen standard in LT/SS/ZL1 models. It no longer contains a CD player. (there isn't 'real estate' in the existing I.P. to offer both the touch screen and the CD player - that's been part of the heartburn for some time....)

There is an OPTIONAL navigation system available for LT/SS/ZL1 models as evidenced in the press release.
It may be too early to ask, but any idea if the touch screen / navigation system can be retrofitted to an older car (in my case a 2012)?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #102
ezleeinfamous

Drives: 2012 ZL1
*fbodfather* I appreaciate all the work that everyone has put into the ZL1 in every aspect. I do have a question for you though: Seeing that the 2012 and 2013 are 99.8%the same car minus the new touchscreen radio...

WILL THE 2012 ZL1 owners be able to purchase and have the new factory touchscreen radio installed at a later date? Thanks

Either way I am 2012!!! I've been without my 2010 SS for over a year now..sold it soon as the ZL1 was announced.

Last edited by ezleeinfamous; 03-28-2012 at 12:00 PM.
ezleeinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wgas about a radio