Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
SLEEPER SS
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DA BOTTOM
Posts: 672
What kind of gains with a cam?

Im looking to get a cam. what type of rwhp gains can i expect? i have an auto also. still deciding to do a cam or not
SLEEPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
geaux_tigerss
 
geaux_tigerss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 545
That's a very wide open question. My advise is to call a reputable shop to discuss. There a a lot of factors to consider. Usually with cams more HP = harder to drive in normal driving situations. More peak HP usually leads to less low end torque. A big cam will need a big stall converter. You also have to decide if you want to go with a VVT cam or do an LS3 conversion.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 CGM Rotofab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa (LS3)
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Bad70supreme


 
Bad70supreme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 2,526
Even a smaller cam will have great gaines, between a cam and a tune you will have a hole neww beast. You can run something like a 220 230 at 05 with your stock conerter. I love this lunti cam I just installed, keep it small and on a tighter lsa if you want to keep the lowend and stock converter.
__________________
217/228 .565 lift, XS headers, 3" exhaust, th400 swap FTI 3600 stall. 11.75@117
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
SLEEPER SS
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DA BOTTOM
Posts: 672
yeah im going to do the ls3 conversion for sure
SLEEPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
SLEEPER SS
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DA BOTTOM
Posts: 672
bump
SLEEPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
do not go with a mild cam like what bad70superme did. for his setup and goals it worked. but when you are doing a conversion plus cam install, new lifters, tune, probably having a shop do install. its going to cost a lot of money already. you want to get gains and do it right first time. get a new converter and a decent size cam. so doing all this work will be worth it. i am not sure about l99 gains, but people on LS3 are making 470WHP all day long. going from 410-420WHP headers intake to 470WHP cam. and some even higher
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Bildo

 
Bildo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,098
I would look at the dyno threads sticky and see the kind of power people are getting with what mods
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
InfernoSS454
 
InfernoSS454's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: houston,texas
Posts: 391
It all depends on how big the cam. But generally in an auto you'd be anywhere from 420-460rwhp depending on the cam.
InfernoSS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.
 
brantley847's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,402


The headers were the best decision I ever made as far as mods go, but Cam is a close second. People are scared to death of this thing man lol... people that know cars are reluctant to test it because they don't know what else you have done and people who aren't gear heads aren't exactly sure what is going on inside, but it makes them feel warm and fuzzy. The sound is just incredible. You have the luxury of having numerous clubs down there, find someone who has one and I promise you one will let you ride shotty with him to feel the ride. Drive ability ONCE you start moving is relatively the same..it is the idle that scares people away.

If you are going to do a full conversion, go somewhat aggressive... don't do that stage 1 or lower stage 2 B.S, you will EASILY drop 3-4k, doing this mod.. go bigger if you are going to have the awesome selection of cams that comes with the conversion.

I believe Mike Norris uses comp cams, and comp labels mine as a Stage 3. I don't quite believe that... I'd say its an aggressive stage II... maybe between 2-3... the cam I run, makes 470-475 on the M6

You will get between 420-440 with the mods you and I have... 400 with a stage 1, 415-430 with S-II, 430-450 with S-III....Even with a stage I, yes 30 hp is a decent gain from LTs, exhaust, intake... but that doesn't justify a 4k price tag to me.

You won't get over 450 without porting heads, unless you want to go with a VERY, VERY! big and aggressive Cam. If you go that high, you will suffer drive ability drastically. 440 was a nice spot for me with the A6 (again, it makes 470 on the M6) and a nice set of ported heads will push me over 450 and that is where I will probably stop with the power adders until I go forced induction.

The more aggressive you go, the more you may want to consider a torque converter and a very reliable tuner. Mike was able to take a rather aggressive cam and keep the drive ability. At red lights, it shakes and rattles like a mother..but that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen because I have never owned a cammed car. Sometimes at idle it feels like riding a damn bronco.. the first two days I was intimidated as hell, but after 2 days it became second nature again.

Here are some supporting mods I did to ensure some reliability as well: Transmission cooler to go along with the FTI converter, Rx Catch can, and Trunnion kit upgrade for your LS7 lifters due to some bearing failures. Be safe, do the trunnion upgrade and transmission cooler regardless... I believe Mike is now selling it on all his cam packages and that kit is only 130 bucks. The transcooler is around 100. The converter is NOT necessary, but damn does it throw this car into the power band and it is soooo smooth/sweet.

If you go back to Torq then will guide you in the right direction, just request the addition of the cooler and trunnion kit.

My labor, parts, tune..everything.. came out to 4700.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.







1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!

Last edited by brantley847; 03-28-2012 at 03:02 PM.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Jason 98 TA


 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,361
Checkout the VVT-3 on our site. It's made 100 flywheel hp gains!! It will require a larger than stock stall converter though, most camshafts do.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
SLEEPER SS
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DA BOTTOM
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post


The headers were the best decision I ever made as far as mods go, but Cam is a close second. People are scared to death of this thing man lol... people that know cars are reluctant to test it because they don't know what else you have done and people who aren't gear heads aren't exactly sure what is going on inside, but it makes them feel warm and fuzzy. The sound is just incredible. You have the luxury of having numerous clubs down there, find someone who has one and I promise you one will let you ride shotty with him to feel the ride. Drive ability ONCE you start moving is relatively the same..it is the idle that scares people away.

If you are going to do a full conversion, go somewhat aggressive... don't do that stage 1 or lower stage 2 B.S, you will EASILY drop 3-4k, doing this mod.. go bigger if you are going to have the awesome selection of cams that comes with the conversion.

I believe Mike Norris uses comp cams, and comp labels mine as a Stage 3. I don't quite believe that... I'd say its an aggressive stage II... maybe between 2-3... the cam I run, makes 470-475 on the M6

You will get between 420-440 with the mods you and I have... 400 with a stage 1, 415-430 with S-II, 430-450 with S-III....Even with a stage I, yes 30 hp is a decent gain from LTs, exhaust, intake... but that doesn't justify a 4k price tag to me.

You won't get over 450 without porting heads, unless you want to go with a VERY, VERY! big and aggressive Cam. If you go that high, you will suffer drive ability drastically. 440 was a nice spot for me with the A6 (again, it makes 470 on the M6) and a nice set of ported heads will push me over 450 and that is where I will probably stop with the power adders until I go forced induction.

The more aggressive you go, the more you may want to consider a torque converter and a very reliable tuner. Mike was able to take a rather aggressive cam and keep the drive ability. At red lights, it shakes and rattles like a mother..but that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen because I have never owned a cammed car. Sometimes at idle it feels like riding a damn bronco.. the first two days I was intimidated as hell, but after 2 days it became second nature again.

Here are some supporting mods I did to ensure some reliability as well: Transmission cooler to go along with the FTI converter, Rx Catch can, and Trunnion kit upgrade for your LS7 lifters due to some bearing failures. Be safe, do the trunnion upgrade and transmission cooler regardless... I believe Mike is now selling it on all his cam packages and that kit is only 130 bucks. The transcooler is around 100. The converter is NOT necessary, but damn does it throw this car into the power band and it is soooo smooth/sweet.

If you go back to Torq then will guide you in the right direction, just request the addition of the cooler and trunnion kit.

My labor, parts, tune..everything.. came out to 4700.

thanks alot for your input. i have the money to cam my car right now. just deciding between a cam or supercharger. right now with my mods im right at 360rwhp. if i can gain another 60 to 70 rwhp with a cam , ill be happy. got to make a decesion
SLEEPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.
 
brantley847's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER SS View Post
thanks alot for your input. i have the money to cam my car right now. just deciding between a cam or supercharger. right now with my mods im right at 360rwhp. if i can gain another 60 to 70 rwhp with a cam , ill be happy. got to make a decesion
Yea, S/C will be down the road for me.. but I don't regret doing cam first AT ALL!

I went from 365-370rwhp with the same basic bolt ons you have up to 439... that was with the torque converter. I have heard the stall will eat up 3-5 hp on the dyno, but boy will you make up for it on a straight away in the power band.

You may want to consider gears before the S/C as well... ride in a A6 with a good set of 3.70 and it will launch you into the back of your seat. I think the torque multiplier is 13%?
__________________
2011 2SS/RS
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.







1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
SLEEPER SS
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DA BOTTOM
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Yea, S/C will be down the road for me.. but I don't regret doing cam first AT ALL!

I went from 365-370rwhp with the same basic bolt ons you have up to 439... that was with the torque converter. I have heard the stall will eat up 3-5 hp on the dyno, but boy will you make up for it on a straight away in the power band.

You may want to consider gears before the S/C as well... ride in a A6 with a good set of 3.70 and it will launch you into the back of your seat. I think the torque multiplier is 13%?

alot of options to consider. modding these cars is so much fun. once you start you cant stop. ive only had my current mods for 1 month and i already want to go faster lol
SLEEPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
jmart53
 
jmart53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Badger State
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER SS View Post
thanks alot for your input. i have the money to cam my car right now. just deciding between a cam or supercharger. right now with my mods im right at 360rwhp. if i can gain another 60 to 70 rwhp with a cam , ill be happy. got to make a decesion
Is it just me or does 360rwhp seem low for the mods you have?! I know it's an automatic but still that seems really low with the mods...

Conservative tune?
__________________
jmart53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
InfernoSS454
 
InfernoSS454's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: houston,texas
Posts: 391
No 360 does seem low. I wud think it wud be around 380.
InfernoSS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
acatlover13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lynn Haven, Florida
Posts: 2,727
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSS454 View Post
No 360 does seem low. I wud think it wud be around 380.
I dynoed at 363 with the current mods in my signature. He's not too far off.
__________________
ECC on Facebook
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, IO interior, Custom Striping, Razzi body kit
ADM CAI w/scoop/Dynatech Headers & Hi-Flow Cats/Solo Performance Exhaust, FTI 3600 Stall/Comp Cams custom grind cam/LS3 conversion/FAST 102 Intake
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
InfernoSS454
 
InfernoSS454's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: houston,texas
Posts: 391
Yeah but a torque convertor makes u read a lil lower I believe.
InfernoSS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
brantley847
v It bites.
 
brantley847's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,402
The converter will eat up a lil on the dyno... also, we are talking about the L99. It will run between 360-370.. seen a few at 373, but those 3-5 hp can all be influenced by a ton of factors.. not to mention you could see 3 more hp simply from a different intake.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.







1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
NateSS
1337 AH64D driver
 
NateSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 254
You'll get decent gains.

I picked up 118 rwhp with a middle of the road cam and a set of ported heads, plus a dyno tune (over a mail order tune).
__________________
Cam/Heads by ARD, Tune by G-Force, Transmission/Gears by Circle D
NateSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam basics CamaroSpike23 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 74 07-07-2014 01:54 AM
Modifying for " Dummies" Dr Jkel Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 209 06-17-2012 11:24 PM
Vengeance Racing Cam Kit Plus And Cam kit Plus Conversion Kevin@V Engine Internals 0 12-08-2011 10:05 PM
Vector Motorsports Stage 2.5 cam kit installed! pics and video topgun1 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 38 12-18-2010 10:28 PM
Most HP/TQ gains from cam? SSinthedesert Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 10 05-13-2010 10:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.