Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Fignewton

Drives: 2010 2SS
To shim or not to shim...

So my clutch went out. It's a Mantic 9000 series twin disc. The rebuild kit is on the way and the flywheel has been ground .008" at an automotive machine shop and now it is at the machinist is use for work having the spacer (for the little steel blocks around the perimeter) groove machined. The rep from Mantic told me that as long as it is less than .015" I shouldn't need to shim the flywheel but I wanted to get some feedback from guys that have twin disc clutches if they have had to rebuild theirs and what they did. I've replaced an awful lot of hydraulic clutches over my 25 years in automotive and I have always installed a shim equal to the amount removed from the flywheel (well at least after the very first one I did)but my only experience with twin disc clutches has been new installs. Any feedback is appreciated.
Root-Fab CAI, Comp Cams "Voodoo" Cam, Lifters, Rockers and Valve Springs, TT Racing Oil Catch Can, Full Tube Headers w/ mid pipes, Cat Delete, Borla S Mufflers, Lethal Racing Program, ZL1 Shifter, Twin Disc Clutch, BMR Lowering springs, BMR Toe rods, BMR Trailing arms, Niche Lucerne 20" Wheels, Nitto Invo Tires 275/40-20 front 295/35-20 rear.
Fignewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Lethal Racing Stage4
If possible could you take some picture and info about the install? I'm needing to do this too and need more info, local shop told me im better off replacing the entire clutch
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
My question is why did that clutch fail in the first place? You makin that much hp and/or drag racing weekly? I would be lookin at your hydraulic setup especially the slave and maybe this is where you make an improvement..stock is good(add the monster bearing support) but many? go the route of an adjust slave like ram ect...

update you sig with your cars specs(wish every body lookin fer help would do this) so when peeps read this we don't have to ask -What is your setup? every time...lol...messin with you a little caffeine kickin in!

I am still on stock with 108k! smoke her twice by accident since I've had her...no clue on past history...gonna stay N/A with bolt ons and tryin to figure my future moves too...

listen to the rep...as long as overall clutch height doesn't change then should be OK...all clutch's designed to wear..this may actually allow the clutch to "slip" just a bit on launch..who knows could turn out to be a accidental plus!

keep us posted...good luck...peace out...
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH H/F Catted Mids - Doug Thorley axle back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 pushrods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - Prothane rear sub-frame inserts - BMR Trailing Arms & knuckle bushing - tune by dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block -Daily Driver - 110K!---12.7 at 112 - 1.9 60'-
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Lethal Racing Stage4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
My question is why did that clutch fail in the first place? You makin that much hp and/or drag racing weekly? I would be lookin at your hydraulic setup especially the slave and maybe this is where you make an improvement..stock is good(add the monster bearing support) but many? go the route of an adjust slave like ram ect...

update you sig with your cars specs(wish every body lookin fer help would do this) so when peeps read this we don't have to ask -What is your setup? every time...lol...messin with you a little caffeine kickin in!

I am still on stock with 108k! smoke her twice by accident since I've had her...no clue on past history...gonna stay N/A with bolt ons and tryin to figure my future moves too...

listen to the rep...as long as overall clutch height doesn't change then should be OK...all clutch's designed to wear..this may actually allow the clutch to "slip" just a bit on launch..who knows could turn out to be a accidental plus!

keep us posted...good luck...peace out...

This just made me finally update my sig
Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, de-catted Zl1 catback, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black.
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL2SS View Post
This just made me finally update my sig
Lol...
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH H/F Catted Mids - Doug Thorley axle back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 pushrods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - Prothane rear sub-frame inserts - BMR Trailing Arms & knuckle bushing - tune by dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block -Daily Driver - 110K!---12.7 at 112 - 1.9 60'-
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Fignewton

The previous owner installed it and he took it to the strip regularly. I knew eventually it would fail I just hoped to get a year or more out of it before that happened.
I actually tried to update with all my specs but it wouldn't upload. I think it has something to do with using an iPad. I'll try again later on.
It has a "voodoo" grind Comp Cam,rockers and springs, full length headers, Rotofab cai, cat delete, Lethalracing program, borla s mufflers, BMR lowering springs & rear control arms. Dyno sheet showed 459 hp and 437 ft.lbs. It ran 12.50's with a 2.1 sixty foot.

The rep from Mantic figured between the drag racing and our two different types of driving (he drove it on weekends and raced it; for me it's my daily driver) is what did it. It started slipping in fourth when I would power into it and progressed down to first gear over the course of two weeks. It would shudder a lot of the time on take off but not all the time.
Root-Fab CAI, Comp Cams "Voodoo" Cam, Lifters, Rockers and Valve Springs, TT Racing Oil Catch Can, Full Tube Headers w/ mid pipes, Cat Delete, Borla S Mufflers, Lethal Racing Program, ZL1 Shifter, Twin Disc Clutch, BMR Lowering springs, BMR Toe rods, BMR Trailing arms, Niche Lucerne 20" Wheels, Nitto Invo Tires 275/40-20 front 295/35-20 rear.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Fignewton

Hey, look at that. I put it in my signature��
Old 02-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
frankwjr

lol...gj...I still think at least a look at the hydraulics is in order...your daily drivin should not be any diff from racin..usually the opposite!. peace out
Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
I would think that once the clutch is broken in it would not matter whether or not it's a weekend warrior/part time racer or a daily driver. Are these twin disc not good for daily driving? Anyone with experience.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
frankwjr

Twins, triples etc mostly come in several flavors, street, street/strip or strip usually depending on clutch material...but the point is they were developed to give better tq holding but remain as close to "stock feel" as possible...

mostly likely previous owner ran the snot out of it and you got it on its final legs(you said this)....once rebuilt should last forever unless you A:can't shift(ROFL-kidding!) or B:go with a power adder AND start drag racing regularly...peace out...

Has the trans and rear fluid been exchanged? I would also take a hard look at the outer CV's which is the axles weak point if you are going to the strip...
Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #11
Fignewton

I was going to change the tranny fluid since I have it out. I hadn't thought about the rear diff fluid. I intend to autocross it a couple of times a year which is nowhere near as hard as drag racing. Yes I do the occasional burn out but I really have no intentions of drag racing it. I know the slave cylinder is aftermarket and it has the remote bleeder but I'll have to check it today to see what brand and if it is adjustable.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Fignewton

So I talked to the PO and he put Royal Purple in the trans when he installed the clutch but he didn't do the rear diff. I'll do that this weekend when I put her back together. The clutch showed up today and I should have the flywheel back tomorrow. I'm thinking I want to put an MGW shifter in it while it's apart. I'm not real fond of the ZL1 shifter.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
Fignewton

I got all of the pieces back Wednesday and I'll be putting it back together starting this evening after work. I have an advantage over most guys since I have a fully equipped shop with a lift and trans. jack, etc. I'll take some pics as I go and hopefully will be able to figure out how to post them��.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
Fignewton

I started putting it back in last night after work. When I tried to stab the tranny I knew if I didnt want to be there all night I might as well get some help. I called my best friend who just happened to be on "Staycation" and was free to help. So we attacked it first thing this morning(read: 9:30) and had her back together by noon. He had to leave and so I went to bleed the clutch (it has a separate resevoir and a remote bleeder) and managed to unscrew and drop the bleeder into that 2" hole in frame under the brake booster. If you have ever played golf then you know to only spend a minute or two looking for a lost ball. So I ran to the parts store and got a new one. After bleeding the clutch she worked out great. It shifts easier and the pedal is lighter. Now the hard part is keeping my foot out of it for 500 miles.

Last edited by Fignewton; 03-04-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Spelling errors