Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Differential questions

Did some searching and couldn't find quite what I'm looking for.
Want to know the differences between the zl1 and as diffs. How much stronger is the zl1 then the ss diff. I hear the zl1 is a 9.9 inch, what is the ss diff? In running 680rwhp, and looking into getting into some light drag racing and trying to decide if to keep the ss diff and just get driveshaft and axles from dss, or maybe do the zl1 diff swap and use those axles.
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
H-E

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
Did some searching and couldn't find quite what I'm looking for.
Want to know the differences between the zl1 and as diffs. How much stronger is the zl1 then the ss diff. I hear the zl1 is a 9.9 inch, what is the ss diff? In running 680rwhp, and looking into getting into some light drag racing and trying to decide if to keep the ss diff and just get driveshaft and axles from dss, or maybe do the zl1 diff swap and use those axles.
With that much power i wouldn't waste my money on the stock rear.Give me a call and ill tell you about a new kit we have right aroynd the corner. You may qualify for a special price
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 1SS M6
ZL1 has a 9.9" ring gear and cast iron housing, ss has 8.6" gear and aluminum housing. For reference the venerable 12 bolt gear is 8.875", the Dana 60 is 9.75", the 14bolt semi-floater (Lingenfelter) is 9.5" and the full floater is 10.5" That puts the ZL1 rear in some good company as far as ring gear size goes. As with anything there are other factors that could make it stronger or weaker than any specific axle, but those differences can even be found within various builds of a single kind of axle, e.g. different types of Dana 60s.

Moving to a ZL1 will cost you about 4k total but based on what you see on the forums, they are one of the strongest setups you can find for these cars.

2010 SS w/LS9 cam, headers, nitrous and Blackbear tune.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote