Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #76
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS/RS
Thank you guys! The ideas and design is the best part! Its really finally all coming together. And I love doing all the work myself
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #77
gafool

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM
Wow! thats all i can say.
gafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #78
slicktempo

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I dig the black mufflers, lol
slicktempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #79
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Off to the races!

Every once in a while the Red Cross has a blood drive with a give-a-way here in Vegas. I should donate every time I can, but I never miss free stuff! This time I got free tickets to a show and a truck race at the Speed Way. Also found out my girlfriend Rita and I are both Type 0 Positive and negative for C & V. Apparently very desirable as less than 15% of the pop. has it and our blood is the only kind babies can take.

Probably my favorite part was getting a chance to take these great photos! Their was security, but I did it gorilla style on the fly!!! The tunnel pic's turned out awesome!
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #80
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

My baby's feature debut!!!

A while back I had an opportunity to have my car featured in an upcoming Russian language music video here in Vegas. Guy, Armen, was a dancer in a local show featuring Joey Fatone, Dancing with the Stars live at the Tropicana.

Well he wanted a car for a bikini car wash scene, ummm ok A night scene on Las Vegas Blvd and a desert drift scene not my baby so we used a red rental car. Most won't notice in the vid my car is IOM and the drifter was red. They also had me drive for the drift scene, lots of fun!!!!!!!

Can't understand the words, but video turned out awesome!!! What's not to love, babes, Vegas, drifting and my Camaro!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #81
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Before and After pic's!!!

Just wanted to look at some 3 year old photos and current of my interior. I think I made some custom tasteful changes. Plus, she's held up over time and still looks brand new!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 09-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.
nicave13@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #82
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Now this is what I call artwork!

Recently I bought a "cheap" non-DLSR camera that also shoots HD video. I bought it for the video, but it can't compare to my JVC Camcorder. But boy did I have fun with the special effects it can do!!! These are done mostly with the "painting" effect. Pretty cool
Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 09-30-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Add pic's
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #83
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

You guessed it, more photos of my lights ;)

Had to try out the new camera at night with all my silly lights. I mostly installed them to take sweet photos like this

Enjoy!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #84
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
So awesome!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #85
Seleya

Drives: 1974 camaro 2011 rally yellow
Words can not describe how mind blowing and awesome this is... You have an amazing talent!!!!
Seleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #86
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
if you're going to skimp out on subs, better to get some entry level JLs or REs, imo..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #87
Titan

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
nicave13- Tremendous work pal. Your car is impressive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
if you're going to skimp out on subs, better to get some entry level JLs or REs, imo..
2010SLVRBULIT- The pic in your profile is seriously my girlfriend. LOL.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #88
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Thanks Titan!!! I'll never be finished, but I'm close!!! I drive it everyday and nothing get's more attention once the lights come on lol

I just gotta do something on the underside of the hood and power adder when powertrain warranty is up.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #89
CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Yellow Chevy Camaro LS
Love all the mods. Looking good!!!
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #90
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

New pics of my baby out at Zion National Park.

Had time to take my baby and my Girlfriend Rita to Zion National Park in Washington, UT. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from Vegas. I drove it as a "slow cruise" ate in St. George before and after. Really fun drive in the park! They have a nice long completely enclosed mountain tunnel to drive through. Boy was that interesting with zero light and my front tinted window especially coming from bright sunlight.

Filled up before the cruise, drove 400 miles and still had a quarter tank left. Car thinks I can go another 130 miles!!! Averaged a lil under 27 for the trip. I think I coulda done better, but lots and lots of mountains and slow driving in park.

To much fun!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #91
SNK

Drives: 2010 2LT...Black
Your awesome!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #92
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Strobe lights, why not???

No, I'm not going to use these to pretend I'm a cop. A friend wanted strobes on his car and got me thinking, I could do that and pretty cheap too. So that started me on a new and fun project. Before I got started I made an entirely new wiring harness for all my stuff under the dash. That only took about 7 hours one day... lol

Next I had to look at what I wanted to do, and what to use. I had some spare P13 bright white LED bulbs from club members cars. Next I needed to buy a strobe controller, cheapest I could find $10 on ebay. I then bought some 12V diodes and a pack of 50 butt splice connectors. Total cost of this project was less than $20.

First was mounting the strobes. Used factory fog light spots but then I wanted some in the headlights. Well that's a problem because strobe heads need reflective surfaces to make a good amount of light. Fog lights were perfect, but the HID headlights have no reflective surfaces, except in the turn signal area. So I drilled holes in the outer and inner shells and mounted the lights there, see pics. Sealed with silicone.

Next I wanted all the other outer LED's to flash blue and red. Well one controller wasn't gonna be able to do that. Most controllers do single colors, 3 color fades and flashes and 7 color fades and flashes. No red and blue. So I added a second controller. Easier said then done. Both controllers share the same grounds, but need to have each controller power the lights separately. For this I used a three way switch. Middle is all off 1 end is red/blue and other end is normal exterior lights. Without switch either controller would power both and show both lighting effects.

Next was the hardest of all, getting one knight rider light to do knight rider, with normal lights and flashing red/blue with the red/blue outside lights. Why hard? Well because normally to switch from pattern to pattern on knight rider you have to cycle through 32 patterns with it's hokey seldom working well RF remote. I wanted it to switch when each lighting system was on. To do this I used 2 KR controllers( had a spare) and 1 light bar. Each controller has 11 wires 3 sending current and 8 receiving. I needed a diode on each wire for each controller so it didn't power them both at the same time.

Not the most elegant solution but I used 22 diodes or one per wire per controller to keep current only flowing one direction. Instead of soldiering all 55 connections I used 33 butt splice connectors pictured below. I taped everything for extra security, but I kept all metal inside butt splice connectors. I then wired both controllers to what I had created and hooked to light. Worked first time! Good thing, I had done enough R&D to make me an expert on this crap.

Finally I got it all wired in. Here is a brief description of what I have going on wiring wise.

1. 4 outdoor speakers wired off a small amp(bridged) with remote turn on switch.
2. 1 RGB LED music controller hooked to all 4 wheels, back up lights, fog's, both grill and extra foot well lights.
3. 1 Dream Color controller hooked to wheels doing moving multi-colored LED light show.
4. 1 Dream Color controller hooked to engine bay lighting to do moving multi-colored lighting.
5. 1 Dream Color hooked to dash and door ABL lighting.
6. 1 RGB controller doing all interior LED lighting: dome, rear window, under front (X2) and rear seats and door sills, 11 strips total!!!
7. Custom lite Autobot logo on center console flashing red to music.
8. Custom engine cover lighting, chevy logo and 10 "bolts" that pulses red as a heart beat.
9. RGB spotlight on front of engine as well as red lite Chevy bow tie in airbox.
10. 5 super bright blue halo rings in trunk on moving woofers and as Bumble Bee's eyes.
11. Custom strobe package including fog's headlights, knight rider and all exterior lighting flashing red/blue.

Total I have 3 fused battery connections, 1. Stereo 50amp 2. Outdoor stereo 30amp 3. All LED's 30 amp. 8 switches total. All of this and it's nearly invisible to the untrained eye. Yes, without throwing a switch it is a clean factory looking 2010 Camaro SS/RS. Whew!!!

Please enjoy videos of my new strobes!

First shows me playing with them in living room:

Next taken at dawn of full exterior flashing red/blue and strobes:

Finally showing the transition from outdoor light and knight rider to front strobe package:

See pic's for what I was describing above.
Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 12-21-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: edit text
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #93
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

I got new wheels!!!

Ok, so I've had them 2 weeks, but I finally got some good photos to post. I went with 4 20x9" factory looking chrome wheels. I put on all 275/40/20 Nitto Invo's. Went on easy, and could definitely could be wider, but I feel 315 would have been to much. The 295's aren't weight rated for our cars, plus the price was right at only $200 a tire!

Total with install was $1800 at Discount Tire. Then I sold old wheels and center caps for $450, so $1350 total now!!! They ride a little rougher bout 20%, 20% nosier but get way better traction off the line. For proper ride, handling and gas mileage gotta keep them aired up, 36-40 psi.

Took the first pics out at Red Rock Park, with my girlfriend Rita. Next the best ones were taken underground in the parking garage at the Venetian. They turned out so amazing!!!

Happy so far
Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 12-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #94
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

New Exhaust!!!

I love my car and her quiet factory exhaust, especially when cruising, but it needed a little more ohmpf!!! Factory exhaust is 2.5, so bigger isn't really needed. Few know, but mufflers are a straight through free flowing design. Even cast iron manifolds flow up to 500 Horsepower no problem.

The real restriction is in the factory 4 catalytic converters. I replaced them with 2 high flow JBA "mid" pipes. Still is green, but out flows stock and makes more noise Same quiet driving, but when you hit it, much better Picks up about 20hp or so and no check engine lights when done properly. Shorties might be in my future, but never going with long tubes. They are great for some, but I like this setup just fine

Oh, and so far I've spent 1/5th the cost of a set of Long tubes Still hear nothing driving, 0 drone even with DOD still working. But man can you here it when you get on it See pic for mileage too! Which honestly hasn't gone up any, 80 mile trip.

I picked up these from member Tcat used for a great deal!!! Thanks Tcat!!!

Here's a video showing before, factory, a good rev and finally a cold start and idle. All taken with same camera and similar distance.

Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 02-06-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #95
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]

Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicave13@gmail.com View Post
I love my car and her quiet factory exhaust, especially when cruising, but it needed a little more ohmpf!!! Factory exhaust is 2.5, so bigger isn't really needed. Few know, but mufflers are a straight through free flowing design. Even cast iron manifolds flow up to 500 Horsepower no problem.

The real restriction is in the factory 4 catalytic converters. I replaced them with 2 high flow JBA "mid" pipes. Still is green, but out flows stock and makes more noise Same quiet driving, but when you hit it, much better Picks up about 20hp or so and no check engine lights when done properly. Shorties might be in my future, but never going with long tubes. They are great for some, but I like this setup just fine

Oh, and so far I've spent 1/5th the cost of a set of Long tubes Still hear nothing driving, 0 drone even with DOD still working. But man can you here it when you get on it See pic for mileage too! Which honestly hasn't gone up any, 80 mile trip.

I picked up these from member Tcat used for a great deal!!! Thanks Tcat!!!

Here's a video showing before, factory, a good rev and finally a cold start and idle. All taken with same camera and similar distance.

You're welcome man! Have a blast with them. The car looks fantastic!!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #96
b1gr3dmachin3

Drives: 2012 Camaro IOM LFX
nice man hope i see your car around town sometime lol looks great!
b1gr3dmachin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #97
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Thanks Tommy, no CELS's either.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #98
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]

Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicave13@gmail.com View Post
Thanks Tommy, no CELS's either.
Woohoo!! That's perfect right there.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #99
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Yeah, it's a Transformer;)

With my old wheels I had the GM silver Transformer Autobot logo's. I wanted my car to express my love of Transformers and remain factory appearing so I mimicked the factory Transformer Edition, currently a $1500 package!!! After all, I was happy with my 97 black on black Trans Am before the movie came out, Transformers Unite!!!

So with the new chrome wheels the silver GM center caps weren't gonna work. So I made my own!!! I used outdoor quality vinyl decals and applied to the chrome center caps. They turned out awesome!!! The chrome is in the background and only the black part is the decal. Plus the logo is twice the size!!
Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 12-21-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: change title
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #100
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
Wow, a lot of this is way over the top for me although I will be stealing lots of your ideas and doing similar mods in a more subtle way ..Great stuff, keep posting and thanks for the inspiration !!
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led transformers turbo