Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
Question ZL1 is Happy at what RPM range

Ok, I know people haven't driven their ZL1 YET, but for those that are in the know with the LSA motor, what RPM range is this motor happy at?

I never owned a vehicle with a SC or Turbo, so I have no idea what is a safe range to cruse in.

In my previous cars I would cruse between 3000 - 4000, then step on it and shift at 6000 with a redline of 7000.

I know the mpg won't be pretty, but then again it's not pretty to begin with.

Thanks!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,245
If your talking about a cruising RPM, based off my LS3 I'd say 2K. The power band comes in around 4K.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member
 
KLR ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: #708 Summit White ZL1 Del. 5/17
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pearland Tx.
Posts: 1,040
With the supercharger I would think the tork would come in alot lower than 3-4K rpm. So cruising around at about 2000-2500 rpm is probably good.
__________________
Sometimes dreams do come true. #708
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
garfin
Resident Disciple
 
Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Roches Point, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 561
Maximum grunt (torque peak) occurs at 3800 rpm on my CTS-V (manual).

Best regards,

Elie
__________________
2010 Cadillac CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray
1998 Camaro SS # C079 SOLD
garfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
What's happy? LSA should be able to lope around on the freeway at less than 2K. Fuel cut-off is about 6200 or so, and it is making power right up to it. I think you're going to have to give circumstances before anyone can comment more, like racing, just driving, or whatever.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,968
the correct answere is about 800-6200. anything below and it start to feel a little melancholy and anything above that it and starts to get a bit pissed off.
__________________
2015 Hellcat
2013 ZL1 -sold
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
In my previous cars I would cruse between 3000 - 4000, then step on it and shift at 6000 with a redline of 7000.
That's a high rpm to be crusing at with a V8, unless you're traveling at pretty high speeds, or have a really low rear end ratio. I'd expect the LSA in ZL1 not to be much different than the LS3. The supercharger wouldn't affect the speed the engine is comfortable crusing at.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What's happy? LSA should be able to lope around on the freeway at less than 2K. Fuel cut-off is about 6200 or so, and it is making power right up to it. I think you're going to have to give circumstances before anyone can comment more, like racing, just driving, or whatever.
Happy would be driving down the freeway...i.e. 60 mph...would you be in 6th gear, 5th, 4th etc. I know the lower gear will cause higher gas consumption, but then again you don't want to be lugging the engine either....So Happy would be the point between lugging the engine - overly revving the engine in the higher RPM range while driving down the freeway, blvd, back road etc.

I guess a better way to ask this is:
If I'm driving at 35mph what would be the appropriate gear to be in?
If I'm driving at 60mph what would be the appropriate gear to be in?
etc. etc. etc.
Key word being "appropriate".

Thank you!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
That's a high rpm to be crusing at with a V8, unless you're traveling at pretty high speeds, or have a really low rear end ratio. I'd expect the LSA in ZL1 not to be much different than the LS3. The supercharger wouldn't affect the speed the engine is comfortable crusing at.
Yeah that's what I thought hence my question.
Sorry I wasn't clear on this...those rpm ranges were in a 4cyl bimmer and a 6cyl porsche.
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Happy would be driving down the freeway...i.e. 60 mph...would you be in 6th gear, 5th, 4th etc. I know the lower gear will cause higher gas consumption, but then again you don't want to be lugging the engine either....So Happy would be the point between lugging the engine - overly revving the engine in the higher RPM range while driving down the freeway, blvd, back road etc.

I guess a better way to ask this is:
If I'm driving at 35mph what would be the appropriate gear to be in?
If I'm driving at 60mph what would be the appropriate gear to be in?
etc. etc. etc.
Key word being "appropriate".

Thank you!
In my '95 with a T56, I'd cruise at those speeds in 5th and 6th, respectively. The gear ratios were the same, but I had OEM 3.42s (not 3.73s) and shorter tires, at 26" (not +28").

I'd say, if you're maintaining the same speed, keeping RPMs from LSA between 1600-1800 should be great for MPG and putting-along. GM small-blocks make great low-end power. 1800 is not lugging at all for these motors. Don't expect to pass anyone at those RPMs, but I've taken a lot of mountain grades at high elevations in my '95, with considerably LESS power (and weight, lol) so I suspect ZL1 isn't going to be too different

JMVHO - obviously - I don't have one, so these are just educated guesses only
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
In my '95 with a T56, I'd cruise at those speeds in 5th and 6th, respectively. The gear ratios were the same, but I had OEM 3.42s (not 3.73s) and shorter tires, at 26" (not +28").

I'd say, if you're maintaining the same speed, keeping RPMs from LSA between 1600-1800 should be great for MPG and putting-along. GM small-blocks make great low-end power. 1800 is not lugging at all for these motors. Don't expect to pass anyone at those RPMs, but I've taken a lot of mountain grades at high elevations in my '95, with considerably LESS power (and weight, lol) so I suspect ZL1 isn't going to be too different

JMVHO - obviously - I don't have one, so these are just educated guesses only
Thank you very much...your educated guess is better than mine at this point. I hear you on the weight...oh sorry, you were talking about the car's weight...
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,968
61mph is 1700 in 6th

36mph is 1600 in 4th
35mph is 2000 is 3rd

with the torque this car will have any highway cruise should be in 6th. www.f-body.org/gears/

1st 2.66
2nd 1.76
3rd 1.3
4th 1
5th .8
6th .63

3.73 gear
305/35-20 tire size.
__________________
2015 Hellcat
2013 ZL1 -sold
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's

Last edited by hognutz; 03-29-2012 at 05:46 PM.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
61mph is 1700 in 6th

36mph is 1600 in 4th
35mph is 2000 is 3rd

with the torque this car will have any highway cruise should be in 6th. www.f-body.com/gears/

1st 2.66
2nd 1.76
3rd 1.3
4th 1
5th .8
6th .63

3.73 gear
305/35-20 tire size.
Mahalo for the info...the link doesn't work though...:(
Yeah this is going to be a Torquey one!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Mahalo for the info...the link doesn't work though...:(
Yeah this is going to be a Torquey one!
fixed it.
__________________
2015 Hellcat
2013 ZL1 -sold
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
fixed it.
Mahalo...it's now bookmarked!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
Silverguardrail

 
Silverguardrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 890
I saw this...Name:  CamaroZL1_TorqueCurve.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  149.0 KB
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
lgret13
 
Drives: '11 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6
I think 2000rpm seems like a sweet spot for cruising. In my V, in 6th at 70mph I am at around 2000rpm even at 55 I can still accelerate in 6th. In traffic on the LIE I go from 1st to 3rd and sometimes stay in gear from 15 mph to 45 mph, less shiftingand braking.
There's so much torque any gear is good, just depends on how much gas I want to use or save. Even driving conservatively around town I have yet to break an average of15mpg. At 70 mph in 6th the instant mpgs read anywhere from 16 to 22 with trying to maintain speed.
lgret13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List ZL1 Option Codes OldJedi Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 103 11-30-2011 08:25 AM
happy happy joy joy happy happy joy some ZL1 stuff for me! 1BADZL1 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 5 09-16-2011 05:03 PM
PWA "The Lounge" DGthe3 Off-topic Discussions 143773 11-06-2010 12:00 PM
Torque Converters Explained tbyrne V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 0 01-07-2010 01:38 PM
ProTorque Converters - FREE Shipping! tbyrne Transmission / Driveline 0 01-07-2010 01:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.