Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Valadus2001

Drives: 2011 2ss rs
My paint is lifting. WTF?

I just noticed less than a week ago that the paint is lifting on my 2011 ss with less than 3k miles. I am immaculate about keeping my car clean and checking it top to bottom and front to back and this last week noticed these several spots as being something new, it also looks as if there are several more in the beginning stages of being lifting for the lack of a better way of description. Has anybody heard of this happening? I am taking it to the dealer tonight as I have hopes the warranty should cover something like this.
Valadus2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Valadus2001

I forget to add, I am feeling slightly disappointed.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Warranty will cover it. How bout posting some pics?
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
spectre_

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS
spectre_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valadus2001 View Post
I forget to add, I am feeling slightly disappointed.

Yep, can't leave this part out

Good luck bud. Factory warranty will cover it though, you should be fine
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
mattyb65

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
I'm not too sure what "lifting" is...but I feel your pain. My 2012 has numerous paint chips in the front and a couple of good sized ones on the hood. Heart breaking really.

I bought the touch up paint...but I'm holding off on fixing it because I want to read more about it before I do it myself.

6.27.11 - 1100
7.22.11 - 2000
7.26.11 - 2500
7.29.11 - 3300 - 8/8 TPW
8.03.11 - 3400
8.10.11 - 3800
8.10.11 - 4B00
mattyb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Let us know what the dealer says about all of this. I hope they're able to get you covered for this.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Valadus2001

I was told lifting by an auto body shop. Coarse to the touch patches with spiderweb looking patterns in them. They are very small but there are several of them on the hood. I will attempt to snap photos but I am uncertain whether my camera will catch them or not. It got me worried and I checked the rest of the car and there are other spots where it looks like it is developing little"pimples" as they look like to me. Those are raised to the touch as well. Anyway, will have the dealer look at these spots tonight.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
Sounds like the robot sprayed it with moisture either in the paint or it was too humid.
Hall of Fame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
bottjeremy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2SS Born 5/2010
My paint lifting under the rear spoiler wing right after i bought by 2010 1/2 Camaro SS. I took it back and they fixed it. It happened a second time about 4 months later so they repainted it again. Not sure what's up with GM's paint department.
Dyno Tuned by Henderson Performance.
428 RWHP
423 Ft-lbs Torque
bottjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
rdaggett

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottjeremy View Post
My paint lifting under the rear spoiler wing right after i bought by 2010 1/2 Camaro SS. I took it back and they fixed it. It happened a second time about 4 months later so they repainted it again. Not sure what's up with GM's paint department.
There is a gasket kit that will fix the chipping "lifting issue" on the 2010 and early 2011s. If you dont have the updated wing gasket kit installed it will continue to happen as the wing makes contact with the deck lid when closing it due to it slightly flexing. The way you know you have the right gasket kit is to take a business card and see if it will fit between the wing and deck lid at the corner. If it doesnt fit or barely fits you will have cracking\lifting paint 100% under the wing and at the edges. the new gasket kit is more dense and doesnt compress as much and you should have about an 1/8" gap ....hope this helps

He said he liked my car and let me off with a warning. Next Day I got a ticket ....
rdaggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
i am also having problems with my paint. on the car itself it's great, but on the ground effects it's already looking slightly faded and uneven, with some spots that look like the paint is actually rubbing off. gunna try to take it to the dealership and see what they say.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Valadus2001

Is there anything that can cause this besides a factory/painting error?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Is there anything that can cause this besides a factory/painting error?
It happened on some PDR (Paintless dent repair) that was done to a friend of mine's Camaro. Hail damage repair from the dealer lot.
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
Valadus2001

Chevy auto body repair man says tree sap caused this damage. May be no big deal but he has to get it in to sand it down somewhat and find out more. Tree sap my ass, 2008 mustang parked daily under my neighbors tree for 3 years, I maybe washed it once, perhaps twice a month, year round all 4 seasons under that tree. NEVER an issue with tree sap. I have less than 3k miles on this camaro, never park it outside much less under my neighbors tree and this puddly little exposure may have caused damage?
Warranty doesn't cover this. I am going to definitely regret getting this car should this cost me bucks to fix because it certainly did not take much to cause damage to the finish.
I am disgusted as all hell.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
Valadus2001

Grrrr
Old 03-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Valadus2001

So, to finish my rant. Just got off the phone with the dealer. He chewed my ass out because he has been more than accommodating to me since last fall with other issues, issues that would have been resolved without brining the car in had they given me the correct owners manual and so forth, it makes me mad just thinking about it. I therefore chewed his ass out back with a slice of reality as to how he had fumbled the ball MULTIPLE times in addressing my issues with some of the components on the camaro. He finally said it will cost me noting to fix but yet I am now more pissed about it as he makes me out to be some kind of a bad guy. I do understand that they cannot be responsible for "acts of god" and such. I simply want to make the point that I expected a little more it of a 42k car that I wash weekly, store indoors, and DON'T park it under trees. I am frikkin afraid to drive the car if it only takes some small amount of tree sap a day or two to do damage. I am done, smoke is seriously coming out of my ears.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
turbostang7

Drives: 2012 45th 2ss
Not buying the tree sap, my 70 camaro sat under a tree for 17 years only wash was rain and when I got her a good wash and buff and it looked decent again, and it was repainted with base clear combo. I know the newer paints are different but wow!

Sent from my DROIDX
turbostang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
Valadus2001

I am not buying the tree sap in any sense of my error in taking care of my car. Perhaps, PERHAPS I can buy that it is free sap damage, the damage was BIT inflicted on my watch. Hell no not on my watch. Which therefore had it happened by way of a dealer whom they got the car from that speaks to me that the "act of god" tree sap became an issue because of an "act of man" by not taking care of and properly maintaining a brand new car they intended to sell to some port sucker like me. The latter being it was unseen damage caused by the negligence of someone who had that car in their care and in my opinion should know better. The former being i take exceptionally good care of that car and feel that a new car, new finish, especially when I use good products intended to clean and MAINTAIN said finish went face down in the water from a drop or two of tree sap.
Really, how am I supposed to take that?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quick! Someone invent a device that can capture a digital still image of this paint lifting and transfer it to a computer!
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Quote:
So, to finish my rant. Just got off the phone with the dealer. He chewed my ass out because he has been more than accommodating to me since last fall with other issues, issues that would have been resolved without brining the car in had they given me the correct owners manual and so forth, it makes me mad just thinking about it. I therefore chewed his ass out back with a slice of reality as to how he had fumbled the ball MULTIPLE times in addressing my issues with some of the components on the camaro. He finally said it will cost me noting to fix but yet I am now more pissed about it as he makes me out to be some kind of a bad guy. I do understand that they cannot be responsible for "acts of god" and such. I simply want to make the point that I expected a little more it of a 42k car that I wash weekly, store indoors, and DON'T park it under trees. I am frikkin afraid to drive the car if it only takes some small amount of tree sap a day or two to do damage. I am done, smoke is seriously coming out of my ears.
How many times have you had it at the dealer and for what problems ? When did you or the dealer realize you had the wrong owners manual ? Seems like there is more going on with your paint.
Mine is a 2010 and it has been thru two tar chip seal repair areas (unmarked) causing me to wash the bumbers , front and rear quarters , & rockers down with wd 40 & bug and tar remover.So far it is holding up pretty well.Have (3) chips in the right rear gill area, (3) chips right passenger rocker area , (2) chips left drivers rocker panel, so not to bad for CHEAP THIN paint . I will have to say that I put a good paint sealer on it 4 months after I got her, and 4 times since, waxed her on top of that with carnuba mothers , three times a driving season, one time during the winter's garage storage time.Hope they find the cause and remedy.Mine is white so I have to worry about the patches of paint faliures that I have seen over the years.Hopefully they have corrected that issue after all the years. Good luck !
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
Valadus2001

They realized I had the incorred(outdated) owners manual after the car was worked on by the technician who took two hours to research my issues and find out the cause for one of them.
Issue #1 was the HUD, the outdated manual did not have accurate information about what it should display, the manual had the HUD displaying more than it was supposed to so I questioned the salesperson, who then questioned a GM rep, I called a GM rep and asked then about the HUD. Keeping in mind there was nothing wrong with the HUD, the error was with the manual. Of course since there was nothing wrong with it the tech needed to be paid for his work and was potentially going to have to be paid by me. Of course the issue with the HUD took months to resolve as I had stored my car or the winter. Not to go into details on how I sent the salesman multiple emails regarding the HUD issue and he kept losing my explanations of the issue. He finally told me his GM rep felt there was something wrong with the HUD. The tech discovered in less than two hours there was nothing wrong with it besides an outdated manual the several professionals couldn't figure out over 5 months of apparently looking into the issue.
Issue number 2. The Bluetooth in my infotainment center seems to be not working as properly as it should. My iPhone is programmed into the cars Bluetooth. When someone calls me it rings through the car radio like it should without my having to do anything, the car Bluetooth automatically recognizes my iPhone and requires no assistance from me to just plain run smoothly. NOW the issue is if I want to list to music using that SAME iPhone I have to go into the aux input EVERY time I start the car and select thru the options and set it to recognize my iPhone in order to listen to music off of it even though the telephone portion will work but listening to music will not unless I program it. Half of my iPhone works automatically where half of it doesn't. Really bizarre. In two occasions I have started my car and the info center scrolled a message that it recognized my iPhone and all I had to do was turn hit play and the music went over the Bluetooth.
To answer you first question last, it had been the third or fourth time I had it to the dealer regarding those two initial issues. Each time I spoke to someone 'more' knowledgeable than the last who would be certain to have the answers to my questions.
I really do not even want to deal with them anymore. They said they will cover the tree sap damage caused by a weeks time or less that it MAY have been on my car yet I am so disgusted by the half ass handling of the last few months that I would rather pay my $500 deductible and have it done elsewhere and not ever do business with them for even something small like windshield wipers. I regret the headache this car has become in working with the dealership.
So now, not being knowledgeable about tree sap and not admitting it is the cause of the issues with the finish. I need to know, Will the damage spread further or will it be limited to the spots it is currently effecting? Should I go with my insurance I have a good month to wait before I can shell out the deductible for my insurance and have another body shop besides the GM on do the work? Can I sit on the fix up for that time or would it cause irreparable damage?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Man ,this sounds like it's been a real hassle.Find Dylan Adams on the site here and pm him and see what he tell you about the sap damage.He is an expert.I will tell you this. My wifes Yukon sits out all year in the driveway.My neighbors Giant Pine saps several times a year and it gets on it even when not parked directly under it ,wind blows it.I however use the same sealer on it that I use on the camaro.With the same carnuba mothers. I use wd40 on it also and the sap comes right off.No etching left.I really think the application of sealer prevents the sap from penetrating threw to the paint.If and when you get it off I would seal the paint right away.Hope this gets better for you.Headaches !!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I have yet to have a problem with my paint but I did a full clear bra on the front end, all my nicks are in the windshield.
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
Valadus2001

Clear bra on the whole front end sounds like a good idea.

I have a 91 civic that I have been driving since the same time I purchased my camaro as a beater car that HAS been sitting under my neighbors tree, has not been washed once in 6 months(it's a POS) and is covered in sap. Absolutely no indication of damage from the tree sap that I am able to locate. I would think that kind of time with the substance on it should have done some considerable damage. After all, my neighbor does seem to have an atomic tree.