Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
2K14Ro

Drives: 2014 Black in Black 1SS RS
Question About Stock Performance Exhaust Upgrade

Hi all,...
I just bought my 1SS a couple of days ago and from reading this site I've come to learn something extra some of these Performance Exhaust Upgrades come with and I believe that If I understand it correctly that there is some sort of switch or valve inside that opens or closes when you reach a certain RPM.

How do you know if you have this option on your vehicle?
On my Vehicle Sticker it says "Exhaust, Dual Mode Performance" $895.00
Does this mean that I have that option or just Upgraded Performance Exhaust from GM?

I also have a question about the New Exhaust Design for the 2014 1SS RS as far as the Resonators are concerned, On my old 2010 2SS it was an H-Pipe which I ended up replacing with a Magnaflow 2.50" True X X-Pipe. How are the New Models setup? Does anyone happen to have any pictures of the 2014 1SS Setup, If so I would appreciate it?

Here's some old pics from my old 2010 2SS from when I had the exhaust done.

Thanks for your help.
Jim. A.K.A. 2K14Ro
Attached Images

2K14Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
if you have four exhaust tips coming out the rear you have NPP dual mode performance exhaust that activates with the car being at idle or pulling 3500 rpm , that means the car is louder to hear the idle note and when getting on it, other than that it goes through baffling to quiet it down which can be very cool when passing by a cop or trying not to be noticed as much, or be a sleeper......... The mild to wild switch is a simple install if you want to bypass the electrics to the exhaust bypass valve so that it goes through the side without the muffling constantly so you can be louder all the time with the flip of a switch... look close to where the mufflers attach to the exhaust.....see those valves......, and h pipe vs x pipe the gain is so minimal its not worth the money for the swap, and with the dual mode you have no resonators now...its more of a straight out........
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, 500rwhp 460 torque mustang dyno,dual mode ,sunroof ,heritage grill clear bra, TSP cam, Stainless power headers HFC, CAI induction, Vmax PTD,Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, catch can, separate clutch reservoir, under dash/body lights/scanner LED, DRL lights/halos rewire, Dash kit, Custom striping and Sparks badges and Engine badge, Corvette Stainless engine cover, mild to wild, coming soon Eaton true trac and 3.91's
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
2K14Ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
if you have four exhaust tips coming out the rear you have NPP dual mode performance exhaust that activates with the car being at idle or pulling 3500 rpm
Hi Christianchevell, Thank you for helping me out, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to stop by to try and help me out there for a while, I thought that there was 2 or more different vehicles that came with the exhaust upgrade, 1 with the Performance Exhaust Upgrade which came with the Dual Tips and the other which came with the Dual Mode Exhaust Upgrade which also came with the Dual Tips options, Is this Incorrect?

So your For Sure that I have the Dual Mode Upgrade on my Exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
The mild to wild switch is a simple install if you want to bypass the electrics to the exhaust bypass valve so that it goes through the side without the muffling constantly so you can be louder all the time with the flip of a switch... look close to where the mufflers attach to the exhaust.....see those valves......, and h pipe vs x pipe the gain is so minimal its not worth the money for the swap, and with the dual mode you have no resonators now...its more of a straight out........
I'll have to try and get a better look again, I also don't remember seeing an H-Pipe either but 1 Resonator in the center of the car I believe.

The reason why I'd want to replace the H-pipe and Keep the Stock Mufflers is because I'd like to find out how many people in Florida are actually using Long Tube Headers and which MFG Headers on their Camaro's for the Street and getting Headers back to the X-Pipe replaced on mine. I use to have JBA Silver Ceramic Headers on 2 Different vehicles down here and they ended up getting destroyed and all Rusty, 1 Set only after 7500 Miles in 3 Yrs, Then I got rid of the vehicle so I'm going to stay away from them this round.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Yes, if you have the NPP dual mode exhaust on your car with the quad tips you are good to go. It is vacuum controlled and is a great system. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
2K14Ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
Yes, if you have the NPP dual mode exhaust on your car with the quad tips you are good to go. It is vacuum controlled and is a great system. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
I'm sorry but I've been trying to figure this out since I've seen it
and searching for it but not getting the answer that I'm looking for but what does "NPP" Stand for?

I don't have NPP on any of my paperwork and this is part of the reason why I'm questioning whether or not I actually have it.

Thanks for stopping by.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
KBsSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K14Ro View Post
I'm sorry but I've been trying to figure this out since I've seen it
and searching for it but not getting the answer that I'm looking for but what does "NPP" Stand for?

I don't have NPP on any of my paperwork and this is part of the reason why I'm questioning whether or not I actually have it.

Thanks for stopping by.
It would be an option on your car and on window sticker. As stated dual exhaust tips would tell you yes if not you do not have it...
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
NPP is just a factory code.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K14Ro View Post
I'll have to try and get a better look again, I also don't remember seeing an H-Pipe either but 1 Resonator in the center of the car I believe.

The reason why I'd want to replace the H-pipe and Keep the Stock Mufflers is because I'd like to find out how many people in Florida are actually using Long Tube Headers and which MFG Headers on their Camaro's for the Street and getting Headers back to the X-Pipe replaced on mine. I use to have JBA Silver Ceramic Headers on 2 Different vehicles down here and they ended up getting destroyed and all Rusty, 1 Set only after 7500 Miles in 3 Yrs, Then I got rid of the vehicle so I'm going to stay away from them this round.
Is this a auto car? The A6 has a resonator section that is your resonator and H pipe all in one.

Those JBA's must have been mild steel. You'll need to find a set of headers that are made from 304SS. They will tarnish from the heat but they won't rust. I'd say that 80% of the headers for the Camaro are 304SS, but you'll need to look for it to be sure. It should be clearly state it somewhere in the listing. Prices will vary depending on the manufacturer and where you buy them from. The range is from $500-$1200.

All headers should connect to the factory exhaust. Since the vast majority of aftermarket catbacks are designed to hook to the factory cats, headers should fit to all of them as well.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Look in the tail pipes from the rear of the car. You will see a butterfly valve on the outside pipe on each muffler. This is the dual mode performance exhaust/npp, which is the GM order code for this option.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
You have the NPP exhaust. You just paid $900 for it so don't even consider taking it off. That leaves you three decision points:

1. Headers- you want long tubes (LT's) because that's where the power is. Everything else like sound, midpipe, cats is secondary. If you buy headers, find yourself a good tuner who will guide you on brands he's had success with. Mine likes ARH- they are American made, high quality, they fit perfectly every time and they make as much power as anybody else. They cost more than some but you get what you pay for.

2. Cats-your OE cats have to go to make room for long tubes. You've got two options, high flow cats (HFCs) or catless. I'd highly recommend the former if you want to maintain any appearance of responsibility.

3. Midpipe-the header makers will want to sell you their exotic 3" X pipes for a few hundred more. They may claim another 5-10 hp. It will no doubt add noise. The hp/$ equation isn't very compelling and you may end up not liking the exhaust note and possible drone.

I would suggest taking one step at a time. Choose a good tuner. Have him install the headers he likes with a dynotune. If for some reason you don't like that, then investigate a midpipe.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
they did not used to give dual mode to automatic cars....and the resonator if you have one is a sign ..... automatics had a huge single resonator along the length of the pipe in the middle. They may have changed though, they did not give dual mode to convertibles either...... yet they gave it to zl1 automatics and 1les had the option for it as they were manuals. And yes manuals now I think they may even have a v-6 dual mode in available..... not an expert here just had a l99 vert and now my ls3 coupe and have been on here a while. They could be offering it on automatics now...., and if you do have that giant resonator I would ditch it, and yes headers do rock along with a cam..........
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, 500rwhp 460 torque mustang dyno,dual mode ,sunroof ,heritage grill clear bra, TSP cam, Stainless power headers HFC, CAI induction, Vmax PTD,Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, catch can, separate clutch reservoir, under dash/body lights/scanner LED, DRL lights/halos rewire, Dash kit, Custom striping and Sparks badges and Engine badge, Corvette Stainless engine cover, mild to wild, coming soon Eaton true trac and 3.91's
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
2K14Ro

Okay,... I understand what's going on now...

The Camaro that I must have been looking at inside of the Dealership must have been an Automatic, I just checked mine out and I do not have a resonator like you guys are suggesting and as far as the Dual Mode Exhaust goes, I completely understand how that works also.

I looked down both Tips of the Left Side Exhaust and only the Outside Tip (or Left Tip) has the Baffle in it.

Now I'm just wondering how much restriction the actual Mufflers have.

On my 2010 I removed everything as far as the resonators & mufflers go.

Does anyone know what kind of mufflers they are, has anyone cut into one of them yet? Here's some pictures of a 2010 Camaro Muffler Cut Open that I remember seeing on here a long time ago that I Re-Refound on Google.

As far as what I'd like to do to my Camaro, Yes, I'd love to be able to have some Long Tube Headers installed. 1.) I wouldn't be able to do the install myself I would have to have someone do the install for me, 2.) As far as Manufacture I'm not sure, Back in 2010 a lot of people were using SLP but since I've only been back in to this less than a week again, I'd have to say that my skills in this area are weak at best ATM. 3.) As far as Tuners go, Back then I didn't have any Headers installed But I did have a CAI installed, I went with an AirAid and I bought a SuperChips Tuner/Programmer which BTW I just looked up and it looks like they don't even have any Tuner/Programmer for the `13-`14 Camaro's.
What's Up With That?

IndyDriver,... I just wanted to say before I forget I love those White Wheels of yours. I was Day Dreaming and talking to a couple members and saw another member with a Red Camaro with White ION Wheels and they looked really good on his car and if one day I was going to Powdercoat my Wheels a different color I'm wondering if maybe white isn't the color.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #13
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Thanks for the props on the wheels. I took a bit of a risk sight unseen. Wheels are a very individual thing. Like everybody else, I looked at hundreds of possibilities here and on Tire Rack. I had a number of objectives in buying the wheels. #1 was complete independence from the tire shop. The complete package from TR is incredibly well done. High level of trust that everything will fit and work well. #2 I needed a tire that could handle a bit of winter. Instead of waiting until fall and going full winters, I decided to buy now with UPH A/S so I could use on a couple of road trips to spare highway miles on those soft summer Pirellis. #3 TR's app that allows you to see various wheels on your car was VERY helpful in visualizing the white wheels on a white car. You have the black wheel well and tire between the white wheel and body and on a vert (which has a black top) I thought the high contrast back and forth was the look I wanted. YMMV.