Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2017, 05:35 AM   #1
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Bare LSA heads

Ordered up a set of bare LSA Heads for some home porting. Nothing too big, gasket match remove the swirl hump etc...

Then build them up with Manley sever duty valves and BTR springs.

Would appreciate guidance and pics from anyone who has done this already.

Cheers,
Dan

2010 IOM SS
Cam - Some bolt-ons
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Good luck, and good on you for doing it! I bought an extra TB so I could learn a bit of porting, and it came out great. Love to graduate to a set of heads, and it looks like a good bit more work, obviously. Love to see how you progress with it.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You may want to message BO white he is the only guy doing porting on here I know of and often on other threads
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Ordered up a set of bare LSA Heads for some home porting. Nothing too big, gasket match remove the swirl hump etc...

Then build them up with Manley sever duty valves and BTR springs.

Would appreciate guidance and pics from anyone who has done this already.

Cheers,
Dan
While I can appreciate the want to do a little home R&D working over some castings in the garage. I can tell you the availability and time of good CNC programs make this a not worth doing thing any longer. The ports have been sorted out for various combos. You will spend more time and materials picking up airflow a little bit or possibly hurting airflow than it's worth.
Send in the heads to a outfit like us and you can get back a ready to go piece in a week or two. We have all the parts in stock to knock a set out for you.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
racesloth
Dan

Understood, but $1000 and up for CNC porting and I ship them from the UK and Back...

I have all the tools - just need to buy some sand rolls and spend some time on them...

I am not going to do anything major - just remove that wing, and smooth/polish the ports and combustion chamber....

Part of this that I enjoy is the hobby of it. Using a casting that is better suited to boost than the stock LS3 head, assembling it myself with higher quality valvetrain components than most come with stock.

Satifaction of doing it myself. Spending fewer hours in front of the television and more hours in the garage. It is the journey too...

Dan

2010 IOM SS
Cam - Some bolt-ons

Last edited by racesloth; 02-14-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:39 AM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS M6
have you ported heads befor? do a search for ported ls3 heads on google. if you dont know what your doing you can wreck the head.
Painted CarbonFlash rallystripes, Elite CC&CAOS 3.91gears,dyno J&JSpeedshop NewEra ported TB,CAI intake,Apex Scoop,Heritage Grill, PatG CamMotion cam,0%Fluidampr,Melling296 Oilpump, KatechC5R chain, CloyesLS7damper,PAC1205x springs and pushrods, Straubtrunions. ImprovedRacing oil baffle, crankscraper,MonsterBillet releasebearing,18"remotebleeder,ARH1 7/8"LTheaders cats,TWMfullShifter,BMRsways,links,trailing arms,toerods,delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control bushings,front bushings. Idealclutch master,Tick clutchline, ForgstarF14, 275/40 315/35Invos,SoloMach-XL exhaust
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
racesloth
Dan

Yes I have ported before - but it was 351W ford stuff....

I feel I can accomplish what I am looking for not tryign to flow like a WCCH head. Just a good polish on the exhaust side. 80grit finish in the intakes, removing the flash and the swirl hump - only polishing the short turn and very minor polishing work on the comb chamber.

Main reason for new heads is the stronger roto cast head and installing better than stock valvetrain components.

Plus I can sell the LS3 stockers with the intake and fuel rails for a pretty penny in the UK...

2010 IOM SS
Cam - Some bolt-ons
Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS M6
we'll definitely look into what to and not to do on a LSA head. good luck
Painted CarbonFlash rallystripes, Elite CC&CAOS 3.91gears,dyno J&JSpeedshop NewEra ported TB,CAI intake,Apex Scoop,Heritage Grill, PatG CamMotion cam,0%Fluidampr,Melling296 Oilpump, KatechC5R chain, CloyesLS7damper,PAC1205x springs and pushrods, Straubtrunions. ImprovedRacing oil baffle, crankscraper,MonsterBillet releasebearing,18"remotebleeder,ARH1 7/8"LTheaders cats,TWMfullShifter,BMRsways,links,trailing arms,toerods,delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control bushings,front bushings. Idealclutch master,Tick clutchline, ForgstarF14, 275/40 315/35Invos,SoloMach-XL exhaust
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Yes I have ported before - but it was 351W ford stuff....

I feel I can accomplish what I am looking for not tryign to flow like a WCCH head. Just a good polish on the exhaust side. 80grit finish in the intakes, removing the flash and the swirl hump - only polishing the short turn and very minor polishing work on the comb chamber.

Main reason for new heads is the stronger roto cast head and installing better than stock valvetrain components.

Plus I can sell the LS3 stockers with the intake and fuel rails for a pretty penny in the UK...
I know there are a good number of pictures online of this, but would you mind taking pictures of your process? This is something I want to try as well
Old 02-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
racesloth
Dan

Yep I sure will...

Here are some good vids...

This could be done to an LSA...

2010 IOM SS
Cam - Some bolt-ons
Old 02-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
racesloth
Dan

Heads have shipped - they are on their way...

2010 IOM SS
Cam - Some bolt-ons
Old 02-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Quote:
Yep I sure will...

Here are some good vids...

This could be done to an LSA...
Sure, can be done to any cylinder head.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I'm new to porting, so have to ask, when do you get to the point where the passages/combustion chamber are too polished, so that there isn't enough turbulence to keep the air/fuel mixture at a state of separation? That mirror polish looks great, but is it the ultimate goal?
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
I'm new to porting, so have to ask, when do you get to the point where the passages/combustion chamber are too polished, so that there isn't enough turbulence to keep the air/fuel mixture at a state of separation? That mirror polish looks great, but is it the ultimate goal?
Exhaust is good with mirror polish. Intake, maybe a "rough" polish or fine grit finish.

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is online now   Reply With Quote