Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
white1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Swain Tech Header Coating

Sending my Pfadt headers to Swain Tech to have their White Lightning coating put on. Wondering if anyone else has used them. Not a fan of the color but if it actually serves the purpose all other coatings are supposed to do I'll be thrilled. I grown to like functionality over looks and this is one of those times I'm choosing fuction. Heat is a killer in supercharged applications and confident this coating will do what others can't.
http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/
white1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I would be interested in seeing test data on their coating. Everyone claims reduced under hood temps thus improved performance, but like I mentioned in the Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers thread I have never seen anyone successfully demonstrate either of those things. Please keep us updated on how it goes.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Smokey jr.

Drives: 2011 inferno orange camaro
Had my headers ceramic coated in a aluminum finish...they will turn color or should I say to a dull finish...not shiney...and yes it does reduce the heat...also wanted to tell you that I had my headers coated internally as well.,,with a specialty coating...this will increase air flow exiting the pipes and reduce even more heat on the putside surface...Classic Coatings in Sheboygan wis is where I had mine done...guys names is Jamie you want to talk to

Last edited by Smokey jr.; 02-06-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: additional
Smokey jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey jr. View Post
Had my headers ceramic coated in a aluminum finish...they will turn color or should I say to a dull finish...and yes it does reduce the heat
They definitely cool off faster. No doubt about that. What I am saying is that I have never seen anyone demonstrate lower under hood temps with coating or increased power as a result of it. I have however seen a back-to-back test done with a set of bare and then coated headers that showed absolutely no change in under hood temps using 10 under hood sensors.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
krusher

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
They definitely cool off faster. No doubt about that. What I am saying is that I have never seen anyone demonstrate lower under hood temps with coating or increased power as a result of it. I have however seen a back-to-back test done with a set of bare and then coated headers that showed absolutely no change in under hood temps using 10 under hood sensors.
And this is the main reason I don't believe the hype behind the CAI intake!!The biggest benefit of coating is corrosion protection which makes them look better, but that's purely aesthetic. Every intake thread I have ever heard of talks about how much better it is with ceramic coating.

Now if it cools off faster isn't true that it warms up faster? I would assume ceramic can not magically change its heat characteristics when getting warmer vs cooling off. I have heard most say its a insulation, but I don't believe its insulation one bit, put your hand near it after its been running and tell me its cooler. I will say though when I had bare headers they did seem to stay warm for a very long time compared to after I had ceramic coating done.
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
And this is the main reason I don't believe the hype behind the CAI intake!!The biggest benefit of coating is corrosion protection which makes them look better, but that's purely aesthetic. Every intake thread I have ever heard of talks about how much better it is with ceramic coating.

Now if it cools off faster isn't true that it warms up faster? I would assume ceramic can not magically change its heat characteristics when getting warmer vs cooling off. I have heard most say its a insulation, but I don't believe its insulation one bit, put your hand near it after its been running and tell me its cooler. I will say though when I had bare headers they did seem to stay warm for a very long time compared to after I had ceramic coating done.
I would like to address your comment, not only for you, but for anyone else who may have questions.

First off: With headers, the coating is on the outside and is there to prevent heat from escaping and heating up the engine bay. The headers have a lot of heat passing through them. In our case, the CAI is not passing or creating heat like the headers, we are trying to stop heat from soaking through the intake tube from the engine bay. So we actually use the thermal coating on our intake tube as a reverse method, rather than trying to keep heat in, we are using it to keep heat out since we are not the heat source, in the case of headers they are the source. Hopefully that makes sense.

Secondly: When you say "And this is the main reason I don't believe the hype behind the CAI intake!!", let me say this. We do more than one thing to keep the IAT as low as possible, and the thermal coating on the inside of the intake tube is only one of them. I would not say that our product has a lot of "hype" due to the intake tube coating, it is popular because of a proven system both on the Dyno and the track, good build quality, an excellent fit and finish, lifetime warranty and made in the USA, good quality customer service, as well as solid performance gains.

Our system is completely sealed off from the engine bay, has a removable lid with a nice tight seal, pulls air from the outside of the vehicle, has an insulated air box, and has a thermal coating on the inside of the intake tube. All of those things working together help to keep the IAT low when compared to many of our competitors. Its a whole insulation and heat blocking approach as well as starting with the coolest air possible, the thermal coated intake tube is just a small portion of the entire picture.

As far as heat soak, heating and cooling off, etc., your response is kind of mixing characteristics of materials with material coatings and insulation properties. The intake tube thermal coating on the inside of the tube helps block heat and slow down heat soak from the engine bay, it has nothing to do with the "cooling off" factor. Its the same with our insulated air box, it just helps keep the heat on the other side of the air box, its a simple R Value application. The material of the intake tube being aluminum is what helps it cool off faster, it has nothing to do with the coating. Truthfully, the extra thermal coating we apply on the inside of the intake tube in addition to having to then powder coat it is a lot of extra cost and time, so if it did not make a difference it would not make any sense for us to continue to do.

As far as the tube getting warm, of course its going to get warm, the entire engine bay gets very warm and there is heat transfer. Our only goal is to reduce that heat transfer as much as possible, and the coating on the inside of the intake tube assists in that. The entire system is also powder coated, which is for looks, and added durability for a long lasting finish.

Again, the thermal coating we apply on the inside of the intake tube is not the end all be all of what makes our CAI great, its just one more thing we do to create the best CAI possible, and raise the bar on our efforts to have the lowest IAT we can achieve. I sincerely hope that helps, feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
im guessing heat under the hood is really only an issue while stationary right?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
white1LE

Quote:
I would be interested in seeing test data on their coating. Everyone claims reduced under hood temps thus improved performance, but like I mentioned in the Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers thread I have never seen anyone successfully demonstrate either of those things. Please keep us updated on how it goes.
I have never seen a back to back comparison either and I'm pretty confident from my research that the thicker coating from a company like this with an incredible racing history will do what it is designed to do. And the extra cost is very minimal.
So, I'll be the guinea pig on this one. Lol. Like I said, function over beauty!!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by white1LE View Post
I have never seen a back to back comparison either and I'm pretty confident from my research that the thicker coating from a company like this with an incredible racing history will do what it is designed to do. And the extra cost is very minimal.
So, I'll be the guinea pig on this one. Lol. Like I said, function over beauty!!
I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. They were not meant to be sarcastic or snotty. I am genuinely interested in knowing more about their coatings and the results. It is completely different from everything else out there.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
white1LE

Quote:
I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. They were not meant to be sarcastic or snotty. I am genuinely interested in knowing more about their coatings and the results. It is completely different from everything else out there.

Lol. Not at all! This is different and better known to the higher end racing community I think, which is why we may not be familiar with it. It really isn't much more expensive than other coating companys, $350 a set.

A thanks goes out to CCP for offering to them for me. There coatings look great and they claim to be equivalent, except for the white sand paper finish,lol, to swaintech but offer a variety of great looking colors. If I hadn't already made up my mind on swaintech I would have sent them my business for sure. Thank you CCP!!

My car goes to Lingenfelter on the 22nd for the LPE700+ package and the headers will be sent there to be installed during the reassembly process.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
I am not an expert but can share my experience. I ran my ARH headers for a year uncoated and then during my new build last winter I had them coated. They were done by a local company that is just expanding into automotive stuff, but their main business is coatings on aircraft components. The owner assured me that what they use for jet components, would be more than adequate for our cars. I am not sure exactly how the would compare to other coatings, but I can tell you that besides looking great, it is absolutely amazing the difference in how fast they cool down. Literally within minutes of a dyno run you can touch the headers, with no problem. If you have every checked plugs immediately after a run, you know how they normally feel.
An added bonus to this is they look great, and after a full season of use, still look exactly the same as the day they were coated.

Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000, Built & Tuned by Seth at FEDERAL PERFORMANCE
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
Why not invest in a meth injection kit! Then under hood temps don't matter right?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Some fella's are running cooler temps without a hood at all......

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #14
white1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardrockSS View Post
Why not invest in a meth injection kit! Then under hood temps don't matter right?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think meth inj. will change the radiant heat from the headers.