Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
blake-b

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
having trouble getting the trans bolted back to the engine

I put my engine and trans back in today along with a ZR1 clutch kit. I used an alignment tool and it would go in easily except for the last 1/4" or so. Then it would stick for the first 1/4" when removing it.

Guess what, I was able to get the trans about 1/4" from the engine and it will go no further. I had one person pushing, one pulling, and I was wiggling it from the side. No go.

I gave up for the night. I did not replace my pilot bearing (I actually forgot to) and it has 12K on it. I also didn't use the bolts to pull the trans to the engine.

Any tips? I guess I will remove the trans, double check the alignment although I used the tool, eyeballed it after everything was bolted down before attempting the tranny install, and even turned the trans out put shaft when installing to make sure the shaft lined up with the clutch and PP.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I put my engine and trans back in today along with a ZR1 clutch kit. I used an alignment tool and it would go in easily except for the last 1/4" or so. Then it would stick for the first 1/4" when removing it.

Guess what, I was able to get the trans about 1/4" from the engine and it will go no further. I had one person pushing, one pulling, and I was wiggling it from the side. No go.

I gave up for the night. I did not replace my pilot bearing (I actually forgot to) and it has 12K on it. I also didn't use the bolts to pull the trans to the engine.

Any tips? I guess I will remove the trans, double check the alignment although I used the tool, eyeballed it after everything was bolted down before attempting the tranny install, and even turned the trans out put shaft when installing to make sure the shaft lined up with the clutch and PP.
Had the same problem when I put ZR1 clutch in last month. Pilot bearing should be ok. I didn't change mine (3600 mi.). Just smear a little grease on pilot if trans is back out. Get trans within 1/4" like you did before. Start 2 bolts in beside locating pins that mate bell housing to engine to be sure everything is lined up. Make sure jack under trans is supporting it and trans is not completely hanging. The next step is what took 2 hours to figure out. Use a pry bar and thin block of wood between the crossmember and the oil pan. Wiggle the engine up and down with the bar while at the same time having someone push the trans toward the engine while slightly rocking it up and down. If it doesn't want to go in right away, move the jack a little up or down and try again. Rocking the engine like this and not just the trans is what worked for me. I still could not get all the 1/4" gap out completely, but once it's close enough (1/16" is good) that you know it's on the pins, you can use bolts to draw it together. Just don't force the bolts. If they are tight, slightly rocking the engine up and down while turning them in will help. Good Luck!

Way too many mods and way too much money. Wouldn't have it any other way.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
You have to tilt the motor back as far as possible. I used a bottle jack and a small block of wood and tilted the motor by jacking up on the front of the motor.

http://www.hexvents.com
Call Today! 800-756-7107
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
blake-b

I have taken it all back out and will attempt tomorrow evening again. I had the engine tilted as far back as it would go - the oil pan was resting on the smaller crossmember that is behind the engine mounts and the bigger front crossmember. I have Pfadt engine mounts and the nuts are only on just enough to be flush with the top of the bolt, finger tight. The "engine" consists of a long block at the moment, no intake, exhaust, accessories, etc. Just the block/heads... so it tilts back well on its own.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
You probably didn't open the purge valve so you are pushing against a sealed slave cylinder.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
You probably didn't open the purge valve so you are pushing against a sealed slave cylinder.
The trans is empty of all fluids I think. I installed a ZR1 slave cylinder and spacer and the Tick remote bleeder and clutch fluid line. There was hardly any fluid in the remote reservoir. I will make sure the bleeder is open. I was able to push the slave cylinder back by hand and it wasn't very hard to do.