Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

View Poll Results: Cam or LT's and extra cash
Stage II Cam 9 24.32%
LT's/ cosmetics/ Extra Cash 28 75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Tough decision....opinions welcomed.

Have been thinking for a couple of months which mods I will go with when I get back home from overseas. I have the full ARH exhaust and CAI waiting on me at home already. I wanted to have these put on when I return, but keep thinking bout getting a cam too (would also be having an UD pulley, catch can. I know its completely different when you start digging into the motor. The shop I would have it done at is reputable and does good work. This boils down to my question. Keep in mind, it is my DD so the valve springs will be changed out about every year or year and a half and that could get a bit costly.

1. Have LT's installed and tuned, PFADT Lowering springs, MGW shifter, catch can, and pocket the money that would be spent on cam and use it for cosmetics or to just have money if I need it.

2. Stage II cam, UD pulley, Catch can, PFADT lowering springs, LT's installed, and a tune.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
parano

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
#1:LT's/....

SOLD 2010 2ss m6 SOLD

--magnaflow comp exhaust--cai (cold air inductions)--JRE Scoop, Roto-fab bottle--SP 1-7/8 LT Headers--SCT itsx with 415 Ted Jannetty tune--1le 3.91 gears--rx catch cans-- 12.9@113.8mph
parano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
heres why i say you go with a cam. back when i did headers i thought ya i would be happy with just headers. but in time i wanted a cam. my advise with dealing with tunes and shops. is it will always be cheaper to do more things at one time. rather then wait, we both know you want a cam. and you are going to get one someday. just get it now.

also i think springs last 20k miles or so. and its a couple hundred to change. not to bad if you ask me.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Gordo

Drives: CMG 2SS/RS
Last time I saw a cam installed without long tubes it didn't make $hit for HP because they couldnt run any timing in due to it detonating it ass off.It lost 10 hp actually,this was on a car with cai and was tuned prior to the cam install.The next week he installed long tube Got it retuned and gained 70rwhp lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Last time I saw a cam installed without long tubes it didn't make $hit for HP because they couldnt run any timing in due to it detonating it ass off.It lost 10 hp actually,this was on a car with cai and was tuned prior to the cam install.The next week he installed long tube Got it retuned and gained 70rwhp lol.
well like the op said. he will be installing long tubes.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3
cam and LT's..no brainer, you can always add here and there to suspension according to how the car reacts and what suspension parts you need. Get the HP first then stiffen up would needs it.
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Frid

They springs will be put on either way as well as the catch can and LT's. Really the question is if I should spend the extra couple grand and get the cam. Just wondering if reliability issues would develope. Being in the military, the car must be able to make long trips often.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Frid

Bump... Still on the fence about a cam.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
the valve springs will be changed out about every year or year and a half.

Where are you getting this mis-information?
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I vote for LTs/tune and then work on suspenson to get it all to the ground. Drop the springs in favor for some coilovers. Make sure to do some trailng arms and cradle bushings. Rear end bushings if you can afford it as well.

You will eventually get used to the power that will be doing for you and in a year or two you step up to the cam to feed your HP hunger again. If you do the cam now you'll have to feed that hunger with a supercharger or something.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Frid

Don't really have no use for suspension cause I wont be going to the track but maybe a few times a year. I made a promise to myself that either this or a supercharger would be the last power mod for me. Not sure which I'm going to go for. If I stay with longtubes then I will save for a whipple. If I go the cam route then I will not add any more to the car engine wise.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
The minute you start modding your car (especially the guts), reliability goes out the window. There is always a chance things can go wrong. A thing to think about before you start....
And it depends on the cam you choose as to how often (if at all) that springs need to be changed. If you just have to have that 240 duration with 600+ lift super mega cam......yeah, you'll be achangin springs quite often...and the chances of things breaking goes way up. If you choose a milder, less aggressive cam.....say......560ish lift or less, you can go much longer with out springs.....if at all.
I vote for LT's and tune. If its a DD, then why a cam?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
Don't really have no use for suspension cause I wont be going to the track but maybe a few times a year. I made a promise to myself that either this or a supercharger would be the last power mod for me. Not sure which I'm going to go for. If I stay with longtubes then I will save for a whipple. If I go the cam route then I will not add any more to the car engine wise.
Without at least some Trailing Arms not only will you get horrible times at the track (even if you go once or twice) but you'll also be taking a chance on breaking something from the wheel hop.

At bare minimum add some Trailing Arms. We are talking $130 or so for some BMR TAs. That will prevent a majority of wheel hop. Cradle inserts will help alot as well but that would be my second suspension mod.

I'm giving you first hand advice. Last season I raced another Camaro that had the same mods as me (LTs, tune, catback) with the exception that I had TAs and Cradle inserts. I beat him by a full second in the 1/8th mile. The lack of traction and wheel hop caused him to go that slow. I also beat another Camaro that had only an Edelbrock supercharger added. Both of us on stock tires. I beat him by 1.5 seconds because of the lack of traction and wheel hop.

Suspension makes a difference.

If you don't want to add suspension mods that's your call....but make sure to let out when you start feeling the wheel hop, which is almost guaranteed. Otherwise you'll take a chance on breaking something. And when you wonder why you're going so slow know that you were forwarned.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
Frid

227/239 .614/.624 115+3 are the specs. I will have funds each year to change the springs so that isn't much of a problem after thinking about it. I have read about several cars that are DD's being cammed and no problems, I am just paranoid about it I guess. I have also been told several times now to just do the cam and not look back. Everyone has told me that if its a reputable shop and a good tune it could be as good or not better than stock reliability. I guess I can say that I would like just LT's but I fear that I will want more power lol.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
yessitsfast

Drives: 2010 camaro
get long tube headers you need them whether you do a cam or supercharger. ive always been a fan of building something from the ground up so get your "foundation"(headers, intake and tune)then do the things to put you over the top (cam and or supercharger). i just did cai intake and long tubes and getting a tune next week. then i will decide whether to get a cam or just save for a supercharger hell i might just spray the crap out of it
yessitsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Frid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessitsfast View Post
get long tube headers you need them whether you do a cam or supercharger. ive always been a fan of building something from the ground up so get your "foundation"(headers, intake and tune)then do the things to put you over the top (cam and or supercharger). i just did cai intake and long tubes and getting a tune next week. then i will decide whether to get a cam or just save for a supercharger hell i might just spray the crap out of it

I hear you on this. I want a cam, but I'd rather have a supercharger. I have LT's and CAI waiting for me back home when I return overseas. I just hope the LT's and CAI are enough to satisfy me while saving for a whipple.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
caverman

Eventually I will get a cam but I'm waiting a little while first. Like others have mentioned on here that I feel that once you go into the motor there is no turning back. I also worry about driveability and I've heard about having to change out the springs more often as well. If you ever think you'll sell the car then IMO having interal mods or a supercharger will actually go against you. There are alot of people (myself included) that would assume with mods like that you've been thrashing on the car.

Here is another way I look at it. No matter what you do you're always going to want more power. I first added LTs/Tune, over a year later I'm getting used to it so now it's time to do something. I'm getting gears installed (hopefully next week). That should keep me satisfied for a while. Maybe another year and half or two years I'll be ready for the cam. After that, I'm not sure. Thing is if I went in and did all of it at once I would get used to it and want more as well. Then your either going to be going NOS or Forced Induction or something. Basically, I'm going to pace myself.
Build Journal