Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #26
CaryE1

Drives: Black 2011 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Polishing=paint correction..

I'm new at this, but I thought that the Severe Swirl Remover and the Swirl and haze Remover were the actual paint correction, and that the Fine Machine Polish was to make the paint glossier. So does it hurt anything to use the FMP without using SSR/SHR first? Is it a waste of time?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #27
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryE1 View Post
I'm new at this, but I thought that the Severe Swirl Remover and the Swirl and haze Remover were the actual paint correction, and that the Fine Machine Polish was to make the paint glossier. So does it hurt anything to use the FMP without using SSR/SHR first? Is it a waste of time?
It's all paint correction- that's where shine comes from. Think of it this way. The SSHR and the SHR knock down the clear to level out scratches, but to do so they have some larger abrasives in them. This leaves behind micro-marring which can leave you with a hazy or dull finish. The FMP corrects that by further polishing down what is left.

To answer your second part, no and no. Ideally, you want your wash process to be good enough that you only ever have to use FMP again. You should only need the SHR once- to do your initial correction (of course, life happens and you might need to break it out every once in awhile, but you get my point). After that, you should be able to maintain it with just FMP a few times a year as needed. If you find yourself needing SHR regularly, you've got a problem somewhere in your process where you're causing damage.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
jshaf

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
if the car is just slightly dusty I can wash and dry in 30 minutes, that includes drying the rims and dressing the tires as well. got a system and over time have gotten it from an hour to 30 minutes with practice and experience. now if we are talking a full detail like I will probably do this weekend we are talking 5-7 hours depending on how I feel. will break it in to two days if need be.