Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
ron123
NPP Exhaust/Short Throw

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Manual
Leather Visor Cover and Leather Ebrake Cover

Found a company that made leather visor covers on ebay (about $25)that slipped over factory plastic and sealed on with velcro flap. Stitching matched Camaro OEM lether. Decided to get a pair and modify the covers, trimmed the leather to make it fit better to contour (dry fit test), especially needed trim around mirror, removed velcro and applied the leather by bonding with special leather adhesive to give factory look. (After using rubbing alcohol to clean oem visor off for good bond). Visor is double row stitched but pic only shows one side at a time.

Pics Follow:

Then ordered the Ebrake cover (about $15) and that worked well without any trimming.
As you can see in pic below the stitching matches adjacent seat stitch and arm rest stitch (double row).

The funny button toward the back of the console is the OEM switch for the Ambient Lighting Kit for Camaro that I installed (kit that lights cup holders and front footwells in 2 colors and 2 different light levels ... or alternates between all choices). That kit was found in a wrecking yard, brand new still in box in the trunk, cost under $100 if I remember correctly but took me 3 hours to install. Was surprised at how subtle the extra lighting is - guess they didn't want to blind the driver and get lawsuit, ha ha.
Ron

Last edited by ron123; 08-30-2015 at 08:14 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
The pieces add quality to the look of your interior ron123.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Graphicsgod

Drives: 2015 Manual Hot Red 2LS Camaro
Please post links or send a PM, love it!! ..Want it !!

Reminds me of when I did something similar to my old Z28. Except I purchased leather ones from an old TransAM that fit in the factory screw holes. Looked OEM!

I wish I could find larger visors that fit 5th gen cars... Ours are just too small :(!!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 AM   #4
Graphicsgod

Drives: 2015 Manual Hot Red 2LS Camaro
I think I found a seller on ebay with similar items..

http://r.ebay.com/d1teb2

http://r.ebay.com/ECBBjG
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
ron123
NPP Exhaust/Short Throw

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicsgod View Post
I think I found a seller on ebay with similar items..

http://r.ebay.com/d1teb2
Bingo - that is the set. Looks like a price increase.
If you notice on the mirror side in the ebay pic you posted url for, it has a very wide velcro strip on that side of the visor. It looks terrible to me. So I removed velcro and the stitching holding it on using a thread seam ripper from my wife's sewing kit.

Maybe the vendor could send out without the velcro which would save lots of extra work?

Then I dry fit the cover and re-cut the leather around the mirror opening (arrived way off - was overlapping on to mirror on all sides); to fit contour better and eliminate the wide flap of leather where they had sewn on velcro. Also trimmed the leather ear areas near where it mates to the plastic clip on the car headliner and on the swivel side as well.

AFTER installing the leather cover over the OEM plastic visor, took a long handle thin brush with flat bristle area - coated both the leather and plastic visor with adhesive - tried to reach 100% of the surface area.
A very high quality leather adhesive really helped eliminate all wrinkles and gave it an oem look. I used Barge (available in tube or can). The tube is about $5 and is plenty for both visors, leather shops carry it or Amazon. Let dry until tacky and then pushed down on the leather bonding to the plastic visor. Warning: once the leather with tacky adhesive touches the visor it can not be moved or shifted (that is why I put the cover on before adhesive and used the thin brush). If there is trouble locating adhesive a leather shop can recommend one that will bond leather to plastic.

Overall, the leather quality from this vendor/color/stitching was exactly what I was looking for.
Ron

Last edited by ron123; 08-31-2015 at 11:54 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote