Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Exterior Parts & Accessories All exterior parts and accessories.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #76
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675


Does this mean we're closer to getting to see a prototype?
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #77
AACstyle

 
AACstyle's Avatar
 
Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 6,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post


Does this mean we're closer to getting to see a prototype?
Yes, the factory is going to test the moulds next week
AACstyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #78
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #79
JackRabitSlims
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 84
will the mirror still rotate to deflect headlights away like the stock ones do?
JackRabitSlims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #80
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabitSlims View Post
will the mirror still rotate to deflect headlights away like the stock ones do?
Are you referring to the auto dimming feature? Yes the mirrors will have that.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #81
JackRabitSlims
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 84
yes auto dim, that is correct term. Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Are you referring to the auto dimming feature? Yes the mirrors will have that.
JackRabitSlims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #82
AACstyle

 
AACstyle's Avatar
 
Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 6,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabitSlims View Post
yes auto dim, that is correct term. Thanks
We are looking into one last way to achieve this, will have news soon.
AACstyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #83
camaro5grey
 
camaro5grey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: fort worth
Posts: 413
I am SOOOO ready for these to be finished!!!
camaro5grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #84
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,563
Justin, do you think you can look into a company that can lay carbon fiber weave on top of this mold and clear coat it? That will eliminate paint cost (unless some people want to paint over the carbon in parts as well), but obviously a different charge for the carbon option would appear. That's okay though because it's an option I'd like to see is possible. If not, I'll try to see which local company could do this for me. Thanks bud!
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #85
Quickstir
 
Quickstir's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro LS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 218
Send a message via Skype™ to Quickstir
are there still spots for the pre-order? The concept looks amazing
Quickstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #86
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Justin, do you think you can look into a company that can lay carbon fiber weave on top of this mold and clear coat it? That will eliminate paint cost (unless some people want to paint over the carbon in parts as well), but obviously a different charge for the carbon option would appear. That's okay though because it's an option I'd like to see is possible. If not, I'll try to see which local company could do this for me. Thanks bud!
That would be awesome
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #87
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,563
. I'm looking into companies as we speak to lay the carbon. The shop that's manufacturing my front bumper and adding real carbon to it may just add real carbon to the mirrors as well. Sounds like I'll need to talk to them about it, or have it sent there unless AAC has a company we can use.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #88
AACstyle

 
AACstyle's Avatar
 
Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 6,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Justin, do you think you can look into a company that can lay carbon fiber weave on top of this mold and clear coat it? That will eliminate paint cost (unless some people want to paint over the carbon in parts as well), but obviously a different charge for the carbon option would appear. That's okay though because it's an option I'd like to see is possible. If not, I'll try to see which local company could do this for me. Thanks bud!
Since these are injection moulds we can not offer a true carbon fiber but you can certainly get a carbon overlay done like you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstir View Post
are there still spots for the pre-order? The concept looks amazing
Yes, even if you were not on the original list you can now join the Groupbuy

You can join by going here: http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...r_deposit.aspx
AACstyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #89
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
AAC offers carbon fiber right?
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #90
Quickstir
 
Quickstir's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro LS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 218
Send a message via Skype™ to Quickstir
Awesome just preordered mine
Quickstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #91
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Since these are injection moulds we can not offer a true carbon fiber but you can certainly get a carbon overlay done like you mentioned
Perfect man!! As long as it's a real carbon overlay, I'm sure you'll have people jumping at the opportunity like flies on dung. I know I'd love to go the carbon fiber overlay and clearcoated as long as it doesn't cost a crazy amount. Now that I have a good idea how much carbon overlay should cost since my new bumper is getting it, I know what to expect with these small mirrors. Real carbon overlay should be very cheap even with labor in coomparison to making the whole mold out of carbon. Shoot me a price, or look into the option and post it in this thread when you have time just so people can view this is another possible option besides just paint. You may just get manyyyyyy more customers.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #92
firehawc_69
 
firehawc_69's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally yellow w/stripes 2LT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to firehawc_69


That's a thing of beauty Justin, I can't wait!

Are you guys doing the Fireball again this year? Trista and I want to but we don't have the $$$ or sponsors :(
__________________
firehawc_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #93
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Perfect man!! As long as it's a real carbon overlay, I'm sure you'll have people jumping at the opportunity like flies on dung. I know I'd love to go the carbon fiber overlay and clearcoated as long as it doesn't cost a crazy amount. Now that I have a good idea how much carbon overlay should cost since my new bumper is getting it, I know what to expect with these small mirrors. Real carbon overlay should be very cheap even with labor in coomparison to making the whole mold out of carbon. Shoot me a price, or look into the option and post it in this thread when you have time just so people can view this is another possible option besides just paint. You may just get manyyyyyy more customers.
I'd so be in for a set of those.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #94
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'd so be in for a set of those.
Bingo bud. See that's me and Stieger already who want one already . Justin, build it, and they will come (make sure to say that phrase in your best "Field of Dreams" echo voice). Hahahaha
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #95
AACstyle

 
AACstyle's Avatar
 
Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 6,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Perfect man!! As long as it's a real carbon overlay, I'm sure you'll have people jumping at the opportunity like flies on dung. I know I'd love to go the carbon fiber overlay and clearcoated as long as it doesn't cost a crazy amount. Now that I have a good idea how much carbon overlay should cost since my new bumper is getting it, I know what to expect with these small mirrors. Real carbon overlay should be very cheap even with labor in coomparison to making the whole mold out of carbon. Shoot me a price, or look into the option and post it in this thread when you have time just so people can view this is another possible option besides just paint. You may just get manyyyyyy more customers.
If it is real carbon fiber its going to be expensive, very expensive, very time consuming, and the weave will not be perfect because it would be hand laid and naturally have some anomalies.

A better option may be hydrodipping, Bumblebee's mirrors were hydrodipped
AACstyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #96
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
I'm going to be happy no matter what, once I get my mirrors that is
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #97
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
If it is real carbon fiber its going to be expensive, very expensive, very time consuming, and the weave will not be perfect because it would be hand laid and naturally have some anomalies.

A better option may be hydrodipping, Bumblebee's mirrors were hydrodipped
True, real carbon definitely costs a lot. Ha-ha. However, if the whole mold was made out of carbon, it would be tons of money, but if you created your mold out of whatever you're using (urethane, etc.), then took carbon fiber weave, layed it down and resin, etc, then clearcoated it, it shouldn't be bad at all. I can't imagine it coming out bad at all. I'm doing the same process with my bumper with much larger areas than the mirrors will be, and it is so reasonably priced that it's scary. The shop doing it is well known, and does a lot of the work for shoes like overhaulin, etc, and their price is cheap for the amazing work they do.

We'll see what we can work out with you in terms of having your the mirrors come in a carbon option. If not, we may just have to go the hydrodipped method, or I may need to take the mirrors to my shop to lay the carbon down, and check out their pricing.

These mirrors look excellent man, and I can't wait to see what you guys come up with for the finished product.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #98
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
True, real carbon definitely costs a lot. Ha-ha. However, if the whole mold was made out of carbon, it would be tons of money, but if you created your mold out of whatever you're using (urethane, etc.), then took carbon fiber weave, layed it down and resin, etc, then clearcoated it, it shouldn't be bad at all. I can't imagine it coming out bad at all. I'm doing the same process with my bumper with much larger areas than the mirrors will be, and it is so reasonably priced that it's scary. The shop doing it is well known, and does a lot of the work for shoes like overhaulin, etc, and their price is cheap for the amazing work they do.

We'll see what we can work out with you in terms of having your the mirrors come in a carbon option. If not, we may just have to go the hydrodipped method, or I may need to take the mirrors to my shop to lay the carbon down, and check out their pricing.

These mirrors look excellent man, and I can't wait to see what you guys come up with for the finished product.
But the bumper is a flat (semi-flat) surface, whereas the mirror is completely curved.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #99
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,563
True, but only in some parts. Other parts of the bumper are going around curves and surrounding the inside ducts (where the fog lights will eventually be). Plus, the shear amount of carbon being used is sooooo much greater compared to these mirrors. I'm sure we'll be able to find a way to get this done for a reasonable amount.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #100
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'm going to be happy no matter what, once I get my mirrors that is
Just got an email that mine have shipped!

...I wish.
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote Start System Installation – Need Assistance Railcar Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 27 12-09-2013 05:51 PM
Aftermarket Concept Side Mirrors. Fandango Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 95 07-23-2011 11:37 PM
GM Reveals Opel Flextreme GT/E Concept FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 11 03-03-2010 08:52 PM
side mirrors from the concept Oscar32 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 2 07-06-2009 05:41 AM
Answeres to questions I have stumbled on dieseldave24v 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 02-23-2009 07:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.