Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,698
2015 ZL1?

http://www.thevirtualdriver.com/anal...amaro-zl1.html

Comment, opinion?
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
z28racer

 
z28racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,538
Ford Sucks!!!!!!
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
obrut
 
obrut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 50
Seems like the direct injection/turbo/smaller displacement V8 is the future. The first redesign of the current camaro body will be interesting.
__________________
2010 1SS/RS SIM M6 - stock
obrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Corvette-camaro
 
Drives: Camaro 2010 auto trans
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
Ford Sucks!!!!!!
I agree with u
Corvette-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
RallyYellow11
 
RallyYellow11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM LT M6
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Yelm, Washington
Posts: 177
If its true, I know what I will be saving up for.
__________________
Yes, I do realize my user name is RallyYellow and I drive a CGM.
RallyYellow11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 6,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrut View Post
Seems like the direct injection/turbo/smaller displacement V8 is the future.


It's the best way to go, free power. GM already has the technology down, they should jump all over a V8 version.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
zfuzz
 
zfuzz's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 310
I think this makes my 12, ZL1 sound even better
__________________
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
lbls1

 
lbls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,612
For some reason I didn't get a lot of info from this article. It seemed more to speculate than to offer facts. Its a given that the v8 engine will become smaller as we approach 2016.

Its my gut feeling though.......that the fight between the mustang and camaro will become brutal and fast all the way up to '16. After '16, the climate of the war between the two cars could be anyone's guess.
__________________
'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'09 Malibu LT Dark Gray Metallic

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
NO Buyers Remorse Here! Not a Chance!

Well, it looks like the cars WILL be getting smaller. More CRAMPED. Maintain performance. As the article says, "possibly running 0-60 faster than the current ZL1"... So there IS a risk it won't.

What is also said is the following at the end of the article is that the current 580 HP and 650 HP versions of the Camaro and Mustang are likely to be "pinnacles" in "brute" horsepower. For me, that means that I have bought "near the top" of the horsepower wars, very similar to 1969 and 1970 when in 1971 and on we witnessed the horsepower reduced and efficiency increased. I am confident the 2012-13-14 ZL1's will be legendary. JMVHO. I won't be one to have buyers remorse. NOPE. Not me!

If there is one thing to draw from all of this it is that both the 2015 Mustang and Camaro will back down from the brute force school of vehicle design. Smaller, lighter and less powerful, they promise to handle better, ride better, be more fuel efficient, at least as quick and devastatingly fast. They also will have sophistication and style the current Camaro and Mustang can’t match. Naturally aspirated V6 and V8, and turbocharged four- and six-cylinder models will support them. What is more intriguing is what effect their levels of “affordable” sophistication and technology could have on sports cars costing much, much more… But that’s speculation for another day."

EDIT: If the new cars are anything like the current Nissan GTR, I wouldn't be a buyer.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
obrut
 
obrut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Well, it looks like the cars WILL be getting smaller. More CRAMPED. Maintain performance. As the article says, "possibly running 0-60 faster than the current ZL1"... So there IS a risk it won't.

What is also said is the following at the end of the article is that the current 580 HP and 650 HP versions of the Camaro and Mustang are likely to be "pinnacles" in "brute" horsepower. For me, that means that I have bought "near the top" of the horsepower wars, very similar to 1969 and 1970 when in 1971 and on we witnessed the horsepower reduced and efficiency increased. I am confident the 2012-13-14 ZL1's will be legendary. JMVHO. I won't be one to have buyers remorse. NOPE. Not me!

If there is one thing to draw from all of this it is that both the 2015 Mustang and Camaro will back down from the brute force school of vehicle design. Smaller, lighter and less powerful, they promise to handle better, ride better, be more fuel efficient, at least as quick and devastatingly fast. They also will have sophistication and style the current Camaro and Mustang can’t match. Naturally aspirated V6 and V8, and turbocharged four- and six-cylinder models will support them. What is more intriguing is what effect their levels of “affordable” sophistication and technology could have on sports cars costing much, much more… But that’s speculation for another day."

EDIT: If the new cars are anything like the current Nissan GTR, I wouldn't be a buyer.
Is it 1970 all over again?

I feel that some standard or regulation will come along that will somehow lower the amount of hp in the engines.
__________________
2010 1SS/RS SIM M6 - stock
obrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
CJ1034
 
CJ1034's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM Manual
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northville, Michigan
Posts: 85
End of Era

Ladies and Gentleman, you are looking at the end of an era. The ZL1, the ZR1 Vette, the Z06 Vette, the Boss Mustangs with 500+ HP are all doomed, just like their brethren back in the early 1970's due to the first pollution standards. With CAFE restrictions getting tougher, the V8 is doomed!

Smaller, lighter, higher-efficency is the future.

So, buy now while you still can. The golden-age of the Muscle Car is NOW!
CJ1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
geaux_tigerss
 
geaux_tigerss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 545
This makes me happy that I have what I have - a brutish muscle car. It sounds like things will be heading towards sports car territory in the near future. It was bound to happen. My future grandkids will probably say "6.2L?!?! What were you driving, a semi-truck?"
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 CGM Rotofab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa (LS3)
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Taintedveins
Shark attack!
 
Taintedveins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,561
I honestly couldn't care less about the mustang but some of the features that bug me the least with 5th gen are what they complained about? I don't think that the styling of the 5th gen is default it is something amazing and very well designed for a post modern-retro look. This article says that it will have a different redesign but I don't see that, sure maybe lighter and smaller engines but if style is going to change completely I don't think I would be interested in it...
__________________
Taintedveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Who is Christopher A. Sawyer?
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,295
I don't honestly care what's powering my car down a 1/4 mi or through the turns.. Hydrogen, Nuclear, Magnets, Photons, Zero Point Enery, AntiMatter, etc...

As long as it's fast.. I'm good..
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1034 View Post
Ladies and Gentleman, you are looking at the end of an era. The ZL1, the ZR1 Vette, the Z06 Vette, the Boss Mustangs with 500+ HP are all doomed, just like their brethren back in the early 1970's due to the first pollution standards. With CAFE restrictions getting tougher, the V8 is doomed!

Smaller, lighter, higher-efficency is the future.

So, buy now while you still can. The golden-age of the Muscle Car is NOW!

Agree. Now get your ZL1's and get outside and drive 'em like you stole 'em. Well except for the "Ford Suck" guys. You can stuff em in a tree...
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Who is Christopher A. Sawyer?
One time associate editor of Autoweek, and a 20 plus year veteran of Automotive journalism and as I know him, PR.
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742
 
Uneducated Guess's Avatar
 
Drives: his wife crazy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Well except for the "Ford Suck" guys. You can stuff em in a tree...
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
TiE2000
 
TiE2000's Avatar
 
Drives: Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I don't honestly care what's powering my car down a 1/4 mi or through the turns.. Hydrogen, Nuclear, Magnets, Photons, Zero Point Enery, AntiMatter, etc...

As long as it's fast.. I'm good..
But, it better sound mean too.

Half the fun of going fast is the noise it makes too. That's why I have a hard time getting into these all electric / hybrid cars... I need that back ground music!
TiE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,295
I'd trade the mean sound for the cool distortion effect on most HyperSpace, Warp Drive or other FTL drives when they jump... That would make for a very nice YouTube video.
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,278
Looks like a 2013 GT500 is the one to buy. Last of the Ford Shelby cars and the most HP and performance of any of them ever. That's one to keep under glass for 30 years.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Looks like a 2013 GT500 is the one to buy. Last of the Ford Shelby cars and the most HP and performance of any of them ever. That's one to keep under glass for 30 years.
well actually no. he is making a 950hp and an 1100 hp version. those cars are actually from his compnay and cost like 200k though. be interesnting to see how the collectabiliy of the SVT cars vs real shelby produced cars goes down.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
tooslow
I'm not a "Dude"
 
tooslow's Avatar
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Looks like a 2013 GT500 is the one to buy. Last of the Ford Shelby cars and the most HP and performance of any of them ever. That's one to keep under glass for 30 years.
The contract runs through calendar year 2013, not model year 2013. I expect the last of the SVT engineered GT500's will be 2014 models. It makes sense, since the new Mustang will be a 2015 model year.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
Apex Chase

 
Apex Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,889
I think that article is filled with a lot of hope and dreams and very little creditable information.
__________________
Apex Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,120
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I think that article is filled with a lot of hope and dreams and very little creditable information.
The stuff in the article was a long list of guesses based on what we do know. It's a company policy projection report—a good one, but not at all scientific. It's just a nicely written guess about the future.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shno's House of Z Number 3 Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics 14837 Yesterday 08:45 PM
FE3 to ZL1 Zway Bar UpgradeZ and ZL1 ZuZpenZion PackageZ JusticePete Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 111 05-08-2013 10:38 PM
More Camaro ZL1 info!!! MS3DALE Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 94 06-24-2012 09:44 AM
ZL1 vs Corvette- Why do people insist this doesnt exist? Impacts on pricing/perf? Arachnyd Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 60 09-19-2011 04:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.