Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
hokiez28

Drives: 2012 2SS - 45th Anniversary Edition
Planning first detail this weekend, couple of questions

I've been lurking around here since purchasing my SS in mid February trying to soak up all the knowledge that Dylan, Junkman and everyone else has to offer. I've spent the last month perfecting my wash method (2 buckets w/ grit guards, foam gun, drying with leaf blower, detail spray and waffle weave to hit any water spots that did develop). I've also been stocking upon some Adam's supplies. Now I'm ready to polish and wax.

I will be hand polishing for now, I plan on getting a PC in the future once I'm absolutely sure that my wash method is not introducing further micro scratches/swirls into the finish. I do have some dealer introduced swirls (saw them in the sunlight the day after buying the car before I ever touched it) that I'm not concerned with at the moment as I will take care of them when I upgrade to the PC. I'm just concerned about protecting the paint at the moment.

How is my plan of attack listed below?

1. Strip wash with Dawn (2 buckets w/ grit guard and foam gun as usual)
2. Tape off trim and stripes with 3M blue painter tape
3. Clay bar
4. Remove tape
5. Regular wash with Adam's shampoo, dry with leaf blower
6. Tape off trim and stripes again
7. Revive polish
8. Brilliant Glaze
9. Buttery Wax
10. SVRT on matte gray stripes

First question is what is the deal with sealant? As a former Zaino user I know sealant (Z1) was necessary for their polishes to "bond" but it doesn't seem to be with Adam's as in the videos Dylan applies buttery wax immediately after revive polish. So what's the point of using the quick sealant? Is it necessary to use between Revive and Brilliant Glaze in my action plan shown above?

Second of all, best I can tell the factory wheels are clear coated which means I can use Revive and Buttery on them as well correct?

Finally, what would be the best way to maintain until my next polish in the fall, once a month with Buttery wax or reapply Brilliant Glaze underneath again as well?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I appreciate any help you all could provide!

1994 Camaro Z28 A4 w/ Hooker Longtubes, Borla Exhaust, Custom 4" CAI, in need of a transmission rebuild
hokiez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Skip the tape after the clay, no need at all. Your plan looks fine.

Your understanding of the differences between polishes, sealants, and waxes is a little fuzzy though. Polishes remove clear to smooth and level the paint, restoring shine and removing scratches. They do not bond to paint ever. Sealants do bond to paint and are an alternative option to a wax. Both protect the paint, sealants just do a better job of it and last longer. Generally speaking you want your sealant to go down on bare paint, meaning after you polish with Revive, do your sealant, then let it cure, then do a glaze, then a wax if you want to. I haven't tried Adam's Quick Sealant so I can't tell you for sure the best way on that. There's a whole Adam's Army that will arrive any second that can fill in that gap for me.

You are correct on your wheels.

In terms of your maintenance, it's up to you and your driving conditions. Unfortunately, you didn't get very long lasting wax, so you'll be applying it a lot. Whenever water stops beading up, it's time to reapply. Your call if you want to do the glaze or not. Makes no difference in longevitiy, it'll just add some temporary shine and fill some swirls.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
hokiez28

Drives: 2012 2SS - 45th Anniversary Edition
Thanks for the clarification on the sealant. So basically if I were to use sealant underneath the glaze and buttery the added benefit would be longer lasting protection, not having to reapply as often?

I know that Buttery doesn't last as long as say Americana but since I'm a novice, I figured I'd go with a wax that was super easy to apply and remove for now. Plus I don't mind laying a fresh coat down every month or so.

Also, why not tape off before polishing/waxing? I thought it was a pain to remove polish or wax buildup from the edges of vinyl stripes or trim if you accidentally get a little too close...

1994 Camaro Z28 A4 w/ Hooker Longtubes, Borla Exhaust, Custom 4" CAI, in need of a transmission rebuild
hokiez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiez28 View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the sealant. So basically if I were to use sealant underneath the glaze and buttery the added benefit would be longer lasting protection, not having to reapply as often?

I know that Buttery doesn't last as long as say Americana but since I'm a novice, I figured I'd go with a wax that was super easy to apply and remove for now. Plus I don't mind laying a fresh coat down every month or so.

Also, why not tape off before polishing/waxing? I thought it was a pain to remove polish or wax buildup from the edges of vinyl stripes or trim if you accidentally get a little too close...
you should tape off before polishing and waxing, I said skip it while claying. There's no need for that