Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
fargomike
The Dude Abides
 
fargomike's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fargo , ND
Posts: 490
Foam Gun question

Never used a foam Gun but bought one and am going to use it this weekend .So not sure if I have this right . You foam the car , rinse it off then you wash it with mitt/2 bucket etc ?
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends
 
Iomcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NKY
Posts: 1,077
I rinse the car down with a strong jet of water, foam the car, let it set for around 5 minutes, rinse the car, foam again, then wash with 2BM. I can do all of this with just 1 canister of the foam gun.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
camaro2ssblack
 
camaro2ssblack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 732
Foaming then rinsing and foaming again is overkill and wasteful to the enviroment in my opinion. I personally foam an area, then wash that area. Foam another area, wash that area, etc...until the car is completely washed. In my experience if you foam the entire car, by the time you get around to the other side the foam has mostly gone away and is not serving its purpose, which is an extra layer of lubrication.
__________________
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends
 
Iomcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NKY
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
Foaming then rinsing and foaming again is overkill and wasteful to the enviroment in my opinion. I personally foam an area, then wash that area. Foam another area, wash that area, etc...until the car is completely washed. In my experience if you foam the entire car, by the time you get around to the other side the foam has mostly gone away and is not serving its purpose, which is an extra layer of lubrication.
I completely disagree, but that's what is great about this forum. We are free to agree to disagree. The point of a foam gun is to lift the dirt particles off of the paint and let them slide off. If you don't rinse after you foam the first time, then the dirt particles are still very much still on the paint. I foam a second time to add lubricity. I can get around my whole car before the foam disappears. So idk what to tell you there. As to the statement about being wasteful to the environment, all of the soaps that I use are phosporus free and will not in any way harm the environment or my health. Thanks.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless
 
Iwantone2's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC Cali
Posts: 9,620
The way that I use my foam gun is that I:

-Rinse the car down
-Apply foam with foam gun
-Let foam stand for about 5 minutes
-Proceed with 2-bucket wash
-???
-Profit!

And, if you've never used a foam gun, here's my foam gun in action :

__________________
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends
 
Iomcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NKY
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
The way that I use my foam gun is that I:

-Rinse the car down
-Apply foam with foam gun
-Let foam stand for about 5 minutes
-Proceed with 2-bucket wash
-???
-Profit!

And, if you've never used a foam gun, here's my foam gun in action :

You use a ton of soap. lol. Great video though.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
camaro2ssblack
 
camaro2ssblack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 732
I find it very hard to believe ph neutral soaps like Adams are lifting dirt particles from the finish just by sitting there. Its nice to think so, but in reality your just adding lubrication unless you add something to the wash, such as all purpose cleaner.
As far as the environment sir, I was referring to the several extra gallons of water you are using each time you do that extra rinse...
All that being said, both methods will produce great results...and yes, that is what is great about forums.
__________________
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,366
You guys are way over thinking this, lol. I'd be shocked if you gain anything by foaming twice. Rinse it good, foam, let it dwell to loosen any remaining crud, and proceed to wash. All you're doing with foam is adding a little more lubricity.

Not even Adam's soap contains little fairies that scrub the paint while it dwells, although some people here would probably believe it if they put it on the label...hmm April Fools 2013?
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
camaro2ssblack
 
camaro2ssblack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 732
^^^Exactly
__________________
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends
 
Iomcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NKY
Posts: 1,077
Whoever said that I was talking about Adam's. Optimum Car soap will cause brown foam to fall off of your car. Trust me. This stuff has some awesome cleaners in it, but is still PH neutral and environmental friendly. Same with Chemical Guys no touch and Zep no touch foam.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Whoever said that I was talking about Adam's. Optimum Car soap will cause brown foam to fall off of your car. Trust me. This stuff has some awesome cleaners in it, but is still PH neutral and environmental friendly.
I know YOU weren't talking about Adam's haha. But, just my opinion is one foam and you're good to go. Hell, you can foam it up in five minute increments all day and then wash it at 6pm if you want to, your prerogative.
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
motorhead


 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: Stormtrooper
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bartertown
Posts: 9,051
I just washed my wife's new Jeep the other night and have been using a foam gun with Adams soap for years. I've come to the conclusion that foam guns are just a way to sell more soap. I would need to see some solid proof that it really makes a difference. I believe I'm going to stop using my foam gun all together. Besides,I've washed thousands of times over the years without using one with just as good results.

Just my two cents.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends
 
Iomcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NKY
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I just washed my wife's new Jeep the other night and have been using a foam gun with Adams soap for years. I've come to the conclusion that foam guns are just a way to sell more soap. I would need to see some solid proof that it really makes a difference. I believe I'm going to stop using my foam gun all together. Besides,I've washed thousands of times over the years without using one with just as good results.

Just my two cents.
They aren't necessary at all. It just makes washing more of an enjoyment for me and makes me look more professional for when I start to have customers.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
motorhead


 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: Stormtrooper
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bartertown
Posts: 9,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
They aren't necessary at all. It just makes washing more of an enjoyment for me and makes me look more professional for when I start to have customers.
I guess if you do it for a living it might be okay ,but then again how many times are your customers there while your doing a detail? I have a friend that details for a living and his customers only see the end result. He doesn't want them to see how he performs his magic. You know trade secrets.

By the way, he doesn't use a foam gun. He makes fun of me for using one. I'm starting to agree with him.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless
 
Iwantone2's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC Cali
Posts: 9,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
You use a ton of soap. lol. Great video though.
Yep, my video needs a bit of updating, but I don't use that much soap anymore. Thanks!
__________________
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast
 
YOUNGnRECKLESS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR LS3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,400
i have one question with my foam gun....the different colored pieces for different water pressures. if im just using the house from my house here in NY, what color should i be using? lol. thanks!
__________________
YOUNGnRECKLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS View Post
i have one question with my foam gun....the different colored pieces for different water pressures. if im just using the house from my house here in NY, what color should i be using? lol. thanks!
Huh? Which foam gun is that?
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gilmour 75QGFMR Foam Gun Nutro Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 20 03-24-2012 03:12 AM
Detail spray in foam gun for rinse and dry? camtx45 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 5 02-27-2012 09:29 PM
WTB Foam Gun caliguy Wash/Wash/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts 2 02-14-2012 02:05 PM
Gilmour Foam Gun For Sale Awesome_SS Wash/Wash/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts 3 10-15-2010 12:05 PM
question about the foam gun shad2009 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 5 02-24-2010 04:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.