Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
elitemobb

Drives: 1996 Z28
Intermittent Bog and Die

I recently bought a 1996 Z28 and the first few days it ran like a champ, here the past few days it will bog down and die at times. This happens intermittently with no common factor. It happens when its cold or hot and also when its dry or raining. If it dies it is incredibly hard to start afterward and will continue to bog down if you give it anything more than a sip of the gas pedal. Once it stops acting up it runs like a champ again until the next time. I have so far replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. This car has set in a field since 2009 so I did the basic maintenance on it to make sure everything was fresh in it. Something I have noticed about it is that when it is doing this it idles slightly higher than normal. It usually idles at 800-850 when its acting up it idles about 1000-1100. Any help would be appreciated.
elitemobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Camaro21

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
It sounds like the exhaust is plugged.. I would limp it to an exhaust shop for them to check it.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
elitemobb

Drives: 1996 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
It sounds like the exhaust is plugged.. I would limp it to an exhaust shop for them to check it.
No go on that one. I just had the exhaust redone today. It did it when i was trying to leave the muffler shop and it did it on the way to the muffler shop as well.
elitemobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Leviathan21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitemobb View Post
I recently bought a 1996 Z28 and the first few days it ran like a champ, here the past few days it will bog down and die at times. This happens intermittently with no common factor. It happens when its cold or hot and also when its dry or raining. If it dies it is incredibly hard to start afterward and will continue to bog down if you give it anything more than a sip of the gas pedal. Once it stops acting up it runs like a champ again until the next time. I have so far replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. This car has set in a field since 2009 so I did the basic maintenance on it to make sure everything was fresh in it. Something I have noticed about it is that when it is doing this it idles slightly higher than normal. It usually idles at 800-850 when its acting up it idles about 1000-1100. Any help would be appreciated.
I had a 1993 Z28 a while back that had this exact problem. Turned out to be the Optispark Distributor. I changed it out, and it never gave me another problem. (as I recall it wasn't too hard, although you need to remove the water pump to get to the optispark.)
Leviathan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
EGR valve maybe?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan21 View Post
I had a 1993 Z28 a while back that had this exact problem. Turned out to be the Optispark Distributor. I changed it out, and it never gave me another problem. (as I recall it wasn't too hard, although you need to remove the water pump to get to the optispark.)

I would get a new cap/rotor. Change the ignition control module. Check your plug wires. Time and sitting are terrible and optispark was a touchy system to begin with.

Since it's been sitting the injectors may be clogged as well. Next time you fill up, throw half a can of Sea Foam in the tank.

And get a Haynes or Chiltons manual. My '91s manual is so dog eared and greased up I may need to get another one!