Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
MetalMaster

Drives: LS V6 2011 Camaro, Black, Awesome!
Exclamation 2011 Camaro Engine Shuts off and nearly gets me Killed, Please Help.

Hello,

As the title describes, my engine shut off while driving for the 6th time and nearly got me killed in Hollywood California. I was Going 35 mph on a busy street when my car suddenly dies and stalls in a middle of the street with on coming traffic in my direction. Sadly this is the 4th time it has done this when i had on coming traffic in my direction. Leaving me with only seconds before "anything bad" could happen.

I have sent my vehicle back to the Dealer 3 times. Each time they could not find a problem and the last time they said it was a sensor in the negative terminal cable. That ended up NOT being the problem. Each time i pick my car up from the dealer i feel they are handing me the Keys or opertunity to get hurt because they can't figure something out. If it was me i would not return the vehicle unless i knew it was 100% Working SAFE!

My 2011 Camaro LS has 7,000 miles and has been driven by the technicians to try and find a problem. Nothing but frustration and disappointment from the dealership and unfortunately Chevy. Selling me a car that stops when oncoming traffic in my direction.

One evening when i was on a date my car shut of 3 times within an hour and my passenger was scared out of her mind when she saw a big cars headlights coming right for her . Yes 3 times in 1 hour and 2 times were stalled in the middle of traffic. THIS IS SCARY <------ READ THAT <-----

My Family has contacted GM / Chevy and they have not been able to help.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION THAT WILL FIX THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :h elp:
MetalMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
3 times = lemon law. Go get a new one :-)
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
MetalMaster

Im Planning on it but i put about $2,000.00 of work to it so im taking a loss.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMaster View Post
Im Planning on it but i put about $2,000.00 of work to it so im taking a loss.
That does suck. I hope none of the work could possibly cause your issue or you might be fighting that battle for a while.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Years ago, my brother had a car with a similar problem. One day, I was driving it and it happened. I couldn't get it restarted right away so I coasted and pulled off on a side street. As I was sitting there, I started checking everything electrical to see what would work and what wouldn't. Several minutes later, I was able to start it. My dad took it to the dealer and told them what I found was working and not working and from that info they were able to trace it to a loose ground.

Next time it happens, check everything and make a list of what still works and doesn't and take the list to the dealer. It might help them narrow it down.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
formare
Suspension by Pedders

Drives: Synergy Edition 13.71@102 1.95 60'
The wiring harness has a known issue in a given vin series that causes this issue, should be easy to find via google.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
MetalMaster

100% of the upgrades i have done have been from the dealership. GMPP parts and other accessories.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
iHasCamaro

If they are dealer installed tell them to take them off yours and put them on a car that runs, give you that car, and send yours back to the bowels of hell from whence it came.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
If they are dealer installed tell them to take them off yours and put them on a car that runs, give you that car, and send yours back to the bowels of hell from whence it came.
Agreed
Ordered again on 10/12
1000-10/12
3000-10/19
3300-10/28
3400-11/11
3800-11/12 VIN: 2G1FG1EV7A9166113!!
4200-11/18 Shipped by railcar ETTX853991
Picked up on 12/04!
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I'm sorry to hear about all of this MetalMaster. Could you send me the case number your agent should have given you when your family called us? I'd like to look it over and see what I can do to help.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
MetalMaster

Update.... I would like to thank and help fellow Camaro drivers. I found out the problem today when i was about to sell my car back with the GM buyback program. Turns out when i was looking at my key ring was a bit heavy on both ends. example ---> {X}--------{X} the {X} is my keys.... So when i was holding the keys in the air simulating the position of the keys in the ignition it reminded me of a Pendulum. With the Correct motion it was able to TURN MY CAR OFF even with only a few keys on the opposite end. Funny enough it happened to my father about a week and a half ago and restarted his car...... I linked a video below on how a Pendulum works.... I hope i help at least one other person who can't figue this problem out. I admit my faults but only to be humbled by the fact that I was able to solve the problem using the scientific method. It all started out as a hypothesis... AGAIN thank you everyone for responding. and i hope this helps a confused Camaro owner. In conclusion be Careful about your key rings and never forget SCIENCE!!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
So, youre saying you had too many keys on the chain and it was turning the key to the off position while driving????? Very confusing paragraph.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
My 2006 Monte Carlo SS did this very same thing, but luckily it threw a code. a P0601,
which wound up meaning the PCM had failed. Replaced PCM and it solved the dying while driving problem....

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
MetalMaster

To put it more simple. The motion of my set of keys NOT in the ignition. was able to swing and with that energy turned my key in my ignition just slightly where the car's engine turned off.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
MetalMaster

sorry if it seems confusing. But a bit hard to enplane. none the less this saved me time and a lot of money figuring this out. A bunch a keys and a fabric holding everything together.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #16
iHasCamaro

Holy shit.

That would have been funny when you got in your new Camaro after going through all that...and it shut off on you. Well, funny as long as you weren't hurt of course.

But yeah you should know better than to have all that shit on your key chain. Even if it doesn't turn your engine off, it wears out your ignition switch over time.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
MetalMaster

thank you IhasCamaro, i have learned a lot and i only have 1 key on my chain now.