Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Paint Polishing and Detailing

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Final Pictures

The Bugatti Veyron Super Sport is equipped with 'SS' 20 spoke wheels. This Super Sport's wheels
were finished with a 'Diamond Cut' two-tone and perfected by Bella Macchina.

The weave of the blue carbon glistened under the reflective finish of the finally polished lacquer.

The highly polished lacquer and clear weave made the Bugatti appear alive when walked around.

The gas fill cover, engine vents, and wheels were painted a bespoke blue at the factory and polished by Bella Macchina.

With a top speed of over 265 miles per hour, the Bugatti's front end is the proverbial 'nuke' to insects all over the world.

The swirl free sunlight reflections of highly polished and accurate paint.

The underside of the rear wing was polished as well, resulting in the accurate reflection of the hydraulic mechanism that
raises it (when traveling fast or 'armed'.)

The combination of a highly polished lacquer, carbon blue weave, and an a curvaceous body make the Bugatti Veyron
Super Sport stunning in bright light, at any angel.

Chris Schlumpf, of Bugatti USA, a professional photographer as well, sent a couple pictures of the Bugatti after
driving for several days

Jet Reception Pictures- Immediately after detailing the Bugatti Veyron, Bryan Burnworth hoped on a plane to return home.
I drove the Bugatti to the Jet Center Reception close bye were it was to be the star of the show.

Final Picture-

Special Thanks to:

Bryan Burnworth- Peach State Detail, LLC- for flying down from Georgia, working 11 hours, and getting straight on a plane right after he finished. Up until the last minute we did think Bryan was going to make it. Then he showed up, grabbed the hose, and started spraying.

Mike Pennington from Meguiar's- For recommending me for the job and setting the entire thing up. Thank you for the trust!

Bob Willis- Auto Concierge and Richie Carbone- Richie's Custom Detailing- for volunteering to help out due to the time crunch. Unfortunately the Tampa International Airport was apparently pressuring Bugatti USA about having too many people walking around in a secured area. Irregardless the offer was awesome!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Beautiful car...nice work. If I had won the MegaMillions jackpot last week that car would be sitting in my garage right now!
2010 Victory Red R6P 2SS w/RS package. Gloss black Rallys, 6 speed manual, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust, LS7 style blackout panel, SS emblems front and rear, Custom 69 inspired headlight covers, Vararam no tune, Hurst Short Throw, and MTI Racing rear spoiler, SLP Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Skirts
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Awesome!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I just watched an old Top Gear UK with this car. God it's gorgeous.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
That car - and the detail job - are a work of art. Wow. I don't know if I would drive it or just stare at it.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Breathtaking workmanship. You guys are masters at your trade. I'd give anything I could to have you guys detail my Camaro.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Great job as always Todd.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
garcmol

I just read through and noticed something I've wondered about. How well does the M34 work while drying? Does it cause the water to bead or ease drying? I love the stuff, but have wondered about using it while drying.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I just read through and noticed something I've wondered about. How well does the M34 work while drying? Does it cause the water to bead or ease drying? I love the stuff, but have wondered about using it while drying.
Meguiar's M34 for is a unique product in that it is a 'body shop friendly' quick detail spray. This means that there is nothing in the product that will contaminate the surface to be painted, no waxes, silicones, ect. This cannot be said of most detail sprays.

So it won't really affect water beading or add gloss, but it will help clean any light water spotting that is just starting to form. It is a great product for people who don't want to alter the look of the paint or if you are getting ready to start polishing the pant (and don't want to risk wax or silicone interference).
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Meguiar's M34 for is a unique product in that it is a 'body shop friendly' quick detail spray. This means that there is nothing in the product that will contaminate the surface to be painted, no waxes, silicones, ect. This cannot be said of most detail sprays.

So it won't really affect water beading or add gloss, but it will help clean any light water spotting that is just starting to form. It is a great product for people who don't want to alter the look of the paint or if you are getting ready to start polishing the pant (and don't want to risk wax or silicone interference).
Okay cool. Yeah, I use M34 and keep a gallon jug at the ready.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: '13 WRX STi
The Full Blue CF body looks sick!!

Great Jobs guys!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
SS Product
Super Sport Productions

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS, SIM
Great detailing. Id love you guys to detail my Camaro, lol
SS Product is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Product View Post
Great detailing. Id love you guys to detail my Camaro, lol
glad you're back
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Fantastic work and writeup Todd... wouldn't expect anything less!
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
super clean !! now on a random note, does the bugatti come with that standard carbon fiber body and color ?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Todd!!!! Welcome back to this side of the interweb. I guess you guys just couldn't stay away from me.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
super clean !! now on a random note, does the bugatti come with that standard carbon fiber body and color ?
No, it doesn't. Stock, it is painted like any other car.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post

That color choice is an option on the Bugatti. I believe no the Super Sport is a 200k option. Then again the Super Sport option is over 1,000,000 so the paint seems cheap in comparison.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
cam fan

Drives: fast
Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
That is a sweet car. Outstanding job on detailing...great write up.
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
This is the best write up on detailing on the net. Thanks for sharing it here!
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #23
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Great job, great pictures and awesome car. Thanks for posting.
By chance, do you know what the clear thickness (overall average) is on the Camaro?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Wow!!

Very nice job. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
Great job, great pictures and awesome car. Thanks for posting.
By chance, do you know what the clear thickness (overall average) is on the Camaro?
First, thank you to everybody who responded in kind. Thank you very much, honestly. Thank's Dylan for the kind words as well my friend.

I don't know the clear coat thickness of the Camaro's body. I know the total paint thickness (including primer/color coat/ clear coat) on a deep red Camaro that I measured. (When measuring metal body panels the most accurate results are from a magnetic style device that can only tell you the total thickness of all of the coats. When measuring plastics/composites you can use an ultra-sonic measuring tool that can actually give you depth of each layer).

The average paint thickness on the body panels are around 4.8-4.9 mils. However this was only one Camaro, and while it is highly likely that most Camaro's would have paint thickness in this range, manufacturing tolerances and the occasional changes in this system can account for unique results. I would like to test several more Camaro's thickness before making a definitive statement.

Using the rule of thumb that 15-20% total thickness is the primer, 25-35% is the color, and the remaining percent the clear coat it is likely to guess that the Camaro has around 1.8-2.5 mils of clear coat. This is actually fairly thick for modern paint systems (IF this number is accurate).