Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Door Dings...Intentional?

I have had my car exactly about 1 year. I always park 'away' from anyone else in parking lots. I do not live in a huge city (40000 people). So when I say I park away from others it typically means there are at least 20 plus parking spots between where I am and the next vehicle. Twice now I have gotten door dings and not small ones. These dings have been deep with significant paint transfer. Each time there was no other car next to me when I returned to my car and there is still LOTS of spaces between my car and the next ones. So my though is this. If someone is parking 'away' from others like me, then they are doing it to avoid door dings so why would they park right next to me and then be so careless to cause one? This has to be intentional. Anyone else having the same issue? Paintless dent removal and then polishing and buffing took care of the first one. PDR guy said he should be able to get this one out as well but it may leave a slight imprefection on the bottom of the wheel opening lip. It's so frustrating. I parked my Silverado away for 7 years and never got one door ding.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Sucks man. I just had one repaired today to the tune of $130.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Sorry hear this Shu, even I park away like your doing and someone see's that as an invitation to come over and put a scratch or ding on one's ride. Some folks out don't care about ones property or are just freaking jealous at what we have.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
MUSCLEIT

Drives: 2010 REDLINE EDITION#46
HAD ONE DONE LAST WEEK TOOK THE GUY 10 MIN. 120 DOLLARS LATER...BUT LOOKS PERFECT !!! WORST PART I DID IT WITH MY HARLEY BRAKE LEVER
Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
There was a stretch of a few months back when I had my TBSS that I swore people were doing it on purpose. Some of them were so bad it wasn't like they just tapped my door... it was like they kicked their door open into mine.

Sucks you can't have nice things without careless people screwing them up.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
I have had my car exactly about 1 year. I always park 'away' from anyone else in parking lots. I do not live in a huge city (40000 people). So when I say I park away from others it typically means there are at least 20 plus parking spots between where I am and the next vehicle. Twice now I have gotten door dings and not small ones. These dings have been deep with significant paint transfer. Each time there was no other car next to me when I returned to my car and there is still LOTS of spaces between my car and the next ones. So my though is this. If someone is parking 'away' from others like me, then they are doing it to avoid door dings so why would they park right next to me and then be so careless to cause one? This has to be intentional. Anyone else having the same issue? Paintless dent removal and then polishing and buffing took care of the first one. PDR guy said he should be able to get this one out as well but it may leave a slight imprefection on the bottom of the wheel opening lip. It's so frustrating. I parked my Silverado away for 7 years and never got one door ding.

Funny how you made a thread on this topic I do the exact same thing when I go to supermarkets, or occasional mall or two. Today I went to homedepot with my boy Jeff and we were actually talking about the same thing as I proceeded to parked in a secluded area lucky nothing happened. But in the past I'd go out of my way to park so far from the other cars with much space around (plenty). I'd go about my biz I'd come back later and notice a car or two is on either side of me very closes. I'm like all this open space and they decide to park on my ass. It's to the point where I cant open the door fully to get in. I have a few dings on my door as a result. Sucks !!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I don't care much about door dings. I hate scratches and paint chipping.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I don't care much about door dings. I hate scratches and paint chipping.
I care !! But I also agree with you on the chips and scratches. It's just a damn shame that you can't own something nice without people trying to disrespect your property.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
ColtsCamaro
Mona's Colts Camaro

Drives: white 2012 RS
I got a ding within one week of getting it and I def parked far from folks... H8TERS BE H8TN!
ColtsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
kevin1106

Drives: 2014 3LT-Z51 Vert
It sucks!! Just one of those thing you have to deal with. I to take my time to park far away from everybody... so far so good.. If and when I get one, I feel sorry for the car parked next to me... I keep a ball pein hammer in my trunk just for this reason....
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Park next to a curb, that saves one side at least. Others, park where store camera can see your car.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
A lot of peoples attitudes today are, if I can't have anything nice, I'm not going to let anyone have anything nice.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
I'm not sure if anyone has tried it (i haven't), but if it's a small dent then I've heard that you should get a hair dryer (ask your girlfriend or wife for hers) and one of those compressed air cans that people use to clean their keyboards. Heat up the dent for about 30-45 seconds then flip the can over so the nozzle is on the bottom. Press the button and foam should come out. Do it until the dent pops out.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has tried it (i haven't), but if it's a small dent then I've heard that you should get a hair dryer (ask your girlfriend or wife for hers) and one of those compressed air cans that people use to clean their keyboards. Heat up the dent for about 30-45 seconds then flip the can over so the nozzle is on the bottom. Press the button and foam should come out. Do it until the dent pops out.

Sorry man, this is an internet hoax... might work on plastic (most videos are of bumper covers), but not on metal, hair dryers and air cans don't expand and contract the metal as needed to really do this correctly.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
mine has at least 6 dings in it now. I can't stand careless people
LS3, JRE Smooth Idle cam, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa, MSD Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, DSS 1000hp ds & 1400hp axles, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Spohn lcas, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id850s, Powerhaus Performance tuned.
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
fab410
@fabSSbuild on IG

Drives: 2012 Twin Turbo Super Sport
Wow, I just read this thread and I swear it feels as if I typed it. I just had my car transformed with lottttttttts of parts to upgrade the appearance. The following weekend of me installing all of the upgrades, I take my girl out to eat. We go to a restaurant and they have a couple of spots towards the front. I said, rather than parking near someone else...let me park away from everybody in the empty lot (a tad crooked so no one will park next to me). Of course, we eat, we come outside....a piece of crap parked to my left...a piece of crap parts to my right (mind u, there are still tons of empty spots in front of the restaurant). The first thing I do is inspect my doors (especially the side where I was further in the other spot and the guy squeezed his way in). I didn’t see anything at the moment (I guess due to the light and angle I was tried to view the car in). The next day I take my other vehicle to work and when I get home....wala, 2 dents and a pretty deep scratch. When u walk up on it, depending on the angle you are viewing it…..it would appear invisible. Knowing it’s there when I wasn’t is the hardest part & if u are viewing it in the right light & angle...it stands out like a sore thumb smh.

AGP Twin Turbo, FAST lsxR manifold, ID850's, Squash Return Style Fuel System, ZL1 Bumper/Side Skirts/Hood/Carbon Insert, Havoc Rear Diffuser, PFADT Coilovers/Sway Bars/Adj. Tie Rods/Solid Subframe Bushings/Trailing Arms, Eboost2, SW Retro Chambered 3" Catback, R1 Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 360 Forged Straight 5's, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap, Anvil Carbon Spoiler, Full AAC Lighting, etc
fab410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very sorry to hear what has happened to your cars. This disrespect of property appears to be becoming an epidemic lately. Two weeks ago someone drove up and flung their door open on my SS. We need to keep watch for each other and if i see anyone pulling in next to a Camaro too close anywhere, i will certainly note the license plate, make/model/color and leave a note for the Camaro driver. Eventually these hacks will start paying for their indescretions.
Blakk11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Want to hear the ironic part? My Silverado was more expensive than my Camaro and the Silverado never got a ding in 7 years, 130000 miles and parked anywhere up close I wanted. And if you look around there are a lot of other cars and trucks on the road a lot more expensive than my Camaro.

I have been driving for 25 years and I have NEVER door dinged another car. As a matter of fact I have never even let my door touch another car even in windy conditions.

Hopefully this was the last one. It was by far the deepest and the guy said it was the toughest to get it all out and not be able to tell.