Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Which one of these sealants?

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze 16.9 oz.
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Blackfire hands down. Klasse is a pain to get off. Wolfgang is just okay.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
As the Director of Development for BLACKFIRE, my opinion is slightly skewed, but BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond is, in the eyes of many of the enthusiasts and detailers who have used it, a phenominal product.

The Wet Diamond Polymers, which are combination of three different polymers, give the paint a very unique look and unrivaled slickness. When paint sealants are applied to the paint, the polymers look like a bunch of worms. As they cure they curl, and as they curl together this creates a chainmail like web of rings. The problem here is that there is some microscopic gaps in the chainmail. With our three unique polymers, all of which are a different size, the gaps in the chain mail are filled (so-to-speak). The result is superior microscopic coverage of the paint, and you can literally feel the surface area difference as your towel slides of the paint.

Additionally, each polymer refracts light differently. So the light is being 'bent' three different ways, which gives Wet Diamond products that unique three-dimensional shimmer that BLACKFIRE has become known for.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Also, make sure to order through Autopia-CarCare.com and receive your forum discount!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Black 2SS/RS 1LE
Blackfire period.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Told you I'd say we have a concensus
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
So whats the difference between waxing and using a sealant? Is there any point to sealing?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Also, make sure to order through Autopia-CarCare.com and receive your forum discount!
When I click the pic in your signature it takes me to a website that doenst work.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Id say neither of them lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
So whats the difference between waxing and using a sealant? Is there any point to sealing?
The goal of both waxing and sealing the paint is the same. To add a sacrificial layer of protection that adds alters the look (makes the paint shinier or adds depth or improves distinction of the reflected image).

Waxes, generally but not always, refer to products that use carnauba wax as the main ingredient. The quality of the wax, how it is poured, and the quality of chemicals in the wax will effect how the wax looks, behaves, and protects. PBMG, the parent of Autopia-CarCare has been in the premium wax business for 25 years, and has built a world wide reputation of developing some of the highest quality, best looking waxes on the market including Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and BLACKFIRE. We also carry some of the most well known wax company products including Meguiar's, Mothers, and Chemical Guys. We also stock premium brands such as Dodo Juice and P21s.

Paint sealants, aka synthetic sealant or synthetic waxes, refer to protective products that use chemically active polymers as the primary ingredient. These polymers actually bond to each other which usually results in a longer lasting protection. By choosing different polymers, resins, and auxiliary chemicals the looks of sealants can range considerably from shiny (plastic like) to deeper/wetter. Autopia-CarCare carries a wide range of the best synthetic sealants on the market, from Mothers, Meguiar's, Ultima, Sonus, Sonax, Menzerna, and Detailer's (pro series). Our formulas in Wolfgang and BLACKFIRE are among the most positively reviewed products on the market.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
When I click the pic in your signature it takes me to a website that doenst work.
Thanks for the head's-up. It's fixed now!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
Id say neither of them lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Why?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Blackfire is amazing, I concur. It's the best depth you can get with a sealant. What you should use, though, depends on how often you wax.

If you want to get the best out of Wolfgang, you need to try their Fuzion estate wax, but you won't have protection for as long as a pure sealant (Fuzion is both a carnauba wax and a sealant).

If you're like me and you just enjoy waxing and do it frequently (once a month, myself), you shouldn't even bother using a sealant. You sacrifice clarity and shine for longer duration of protection that you really don't need since you're always putting on a new coat. I'd rather wax frequently and have a better shine than seal infrequently and not get as good a wet look as pure carnauba. I mean yeah, you can layer but you'll be wasting products since you're always waxing frequently.

Maybe someday they will come out with a paint sealant that has a shine and depth that matches that of high end carnauba waxes such as Fuzion, Pinnacle's Souveran, or Dodo Juice's Supernatural, but in the meantime I'll take frequent application to maintain protection over less-than-optimal shine any day.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
The goal of both waxing and sealing the paint is the same. To add a sacrificial layer of protection that adds alters the look (makes the paint shinier or adds depth or improves distinction of the reflected image).

Waxes, generally but not always, refer to products that use carnauba wax as the main ingredient. The quality of the wax, how it is poured, and the quality of chemicals in the wax will effect how the wax looks, behaves, and protects. PBMG, the parent of Autopia-CarCare has been in the premium wax business for 25 years, and has built a world wide reputation of developing some of the highest quality, best looking waxes on the market including Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and BLACKFIRE. We also carry some of the most well known wax company products including Meguiar's, Mothers, and Chemical Guys. We also stock premium brands such as Dodo Juice and P21s.

Paint sealants, aka synthetic sealant or synthetic waxes, refer to protective products that use chemically active polymers as the primary ingredient. These polymers actually bond to each other which usually results in a longer lasting protection. By choosing different polymers, resins, and auxiliary chemicals the looks of sealants can range considerably from shiny (plastic like) to deeper/wetter. Autopia-CarCare carries a wide range of the best synthetic sealants on the market, from Mothers, Meguiar's, Ultima, Sonus, Sonax, Menzerna, and Detailer's (pro series). Our formulas in Wolfgang and BLACKFIRE are among the most positively reviewed products on the market.
So is waxing and sealing a either or job. Or is it waxing then applying sealant? I have never sealed any of my cars before so this is all new to me.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
So is waxing and sealing a either or job. Or is it waxing then applying sealant? I have never sealed any of my cars before so this is all new to me.
They both do the same thing: protect by adding a sacrificial layer to your car's paint.

Pure waxes are naturally-based and don't last as long as the synthetic polymers in a sealant.

In my opinion, though, a quality wax looks better than a sealant ever could. A wax will usually last around a month before it wears off whereas a sealant can last up to 6 months. If you wax often, you might as well just use waxes since they look better. However, if you don't have the time to apply LSPs that often, you best use a sealant.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Black 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Apply the sealant first than the wax.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Quote:
I am a new Autopia customer! Order placed.
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
I am a new Autopia customer! Order placed.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
Apply the sealant first than the wax.
Generally this is the best rule of thumb.

Synthetic products (sealants) work by cross linking to each other aka bonding.

Natural waxes adhere to the surface kind of like rubbing a crayon (thickly) a piece of paper, then removing as much residue as possible. You are still left with a mark on the paper.

When you apply a wax first, the sealant may have trouble forming a bond to itself and the surface.

However if you apply the sealant first, the wax will still "stick" or adhere to the sealant, to some degree.

We found that with BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, the sealant is so slick that even some waxes have a hard time sticking. That is why we re-enforced our wax with the same polymer (synthetic ingredients) as our sealant, so there is a chemical and physical bond to the sealant underneath. You truly get the best of both worlds, if not better than best of both worlds.

But as a general rule of thumb, sealant first, wax on top if you are going to be layering.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
I have had great results with Klasse (cars, boats, bikes.....)

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
I used Blackwire Wet Diamond on all our cars for the 1st time in October...after doing a wash-clay-polish, then BFWD, the paint protection is incredible. They still look amazing...that's one of the best aspects of it, I think. I also do a full detail in the spring, but really hate to strip off and redo since it STILL looks so good, and water beads away like nothing. If you get, make sure you dedicate a pad or applicator for it, since you can't rinse it out since it's oil based. Did I mention how easy it was to take off??? I have the Blackfire carnuba wax also, which can be applied over the BFWD, but haven't tried yet...can't imagine it looking any better though.

chalkupanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote