Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
couple questions about 2012 ss LS3

how's it goin guys? I purchased a 1ss about a month ago and have a couple issues. first one is I noticed that the top of the steering rack where the steering shaft is has fluid seeping out almost like sweating.. it's also alittle damp around the motor mount.. is this normal?

the second issue is that while shifting it never seems to go in gear smooth... once in a while it slides right in but most of the time you can actually feel it click in to each gear... is this normal for the transmission?
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Monster525

Drives: 2012 GPI Camaro
i too just bought my 2ss a few months ago. the first question you have i have not noticed on my, but as for the second question mine you can feel it it click into gear every now and then it is usually pretty smooth.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: Camaro 2SS, Z06 Vette, ATS Turbo
For your first concern, its been a huge problem for a long time.

Any kind of tranny cooler line, power steering line, oil cooler lines that GM makes with their superman crimps where the rubber hose meets the steel line has always failed. Not entirely sure where your from but if you live somewhere with a fluctuating exterior temperatures, you will be more prone to having sweating/leaking lines on your car and there's nothing you could do about that. Its all caused by the expansion of different materials at different rates at different temperatures.

Technically the dealership only has to replace the line it if its leaking, by what you describing it is leaking, I would get it checked out.

For your second concern, if your transmission is not grinding, or does not pop out of gear I would not worry about it.

2013 Cadillac ATS, Black, 2.0L Turbo, Luxury package, 20" Strada's, Pirelli Pzeros, 5% tint.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, K&N CAI, JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint.

2011 Z06 Corvette Black, LS7, Borla Cat Back, 5% tint.
DJ_BigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Below operating temperature it takes some fiddling to get into gear sometimes (especially reverse). After it's up to temperature, the shifter clicks into each gear. It's one of my favorite things about the car actually. Ultra-positive engagement in every gear. Click Click Click it's awesome. Like a ratchet. Especially coming from cable-shifted cars.

If your car is leaking make them fix it. It's not gonna get any better.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
HellOnWheels

Drives: '12 AGM 1SS LS3 | '08 2500HD Dmax
My 08 silverado had a leaking tranny cooler line where the aluminum is crimped around the rubber. It was still under warranty but like dj_Bigc said they will just about always fail at some point and start leaking.

So, instead of having them replace it I fixed it my self with some hydraulic line style compression fittings and it hasn't started leaking yet. On the duramax forum guys have had theirs replaced several times in a 10,000 mile period and they are still leaking.

Me personally, I would rather fix it myself, right, the first time rather than having to go down to the dealer every time it started leaking.
HellOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
If they can't make it stop leaking does the lemon law come into play?
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
HellOnWheels

Drives: '12 AGM 1SS LS3 | '08 2500HD Dmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
If they can't make it stop leaking does the lemon law come into play?
I still have some factory lines that have not started leaking. I think it's pretty random wether or not they will leak but I think it's a very common problem with their style of crimp. I was not willing to take a chance and waste my time going back to the dealer every time it starts leaking.

For me, it's not a big deal to replace a hose or a belt on my own dollar and have the peace of mind that it's good for life. If every hose leaked then you could have the lemon law come into play.

I don't sweat the little stuff.