Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
Dialing out negative camber with rear 1.5" drop

Does anyone know how much negative camber you can dial out with a 1.5" drop in the rear? I know that it's probably not possible to get 0 degree camber, but what is the closest that I can get it? Thanks guys!
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2010 camaro
Each car is a little different but I would think around -.50 to -.75 without putting in a Pedders cam kit.Then you could to zero.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
With our 1.4" rear drop springs we can usually get -.5 to -.7 degrees. Our recommendations for a performance street alignment is -.7 to -1 degree in the rear so you are still well within spec.

I thought this was interesting and decided to share. Look at just how much variance they allow for rear alignment. These specs are right out of the GM Service manual. You can see that they target -.4 degrees in the rear but they allow .75 degrees of variance. This means that as long as you are within +.35 degrees and -1.15 degrees it is considered acceptable. A decent alignment shop will try to keep the numbers close to each other keeping cross camber (the difference in camber between the left and right side) as small as possible.

BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
i ran 1.5 drop on pedders, ran as positive as i could get it.. which was around -09, killed the insides of my 315-25-22 tires in no time, move it back up to 1.2 drop, now close to 0 ...maybe a hair neg
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Do your self a favor and get the Pedders rear camber bolts which means you also will get the Pedders rear toe bolts as they only sell them in a set. The factory rear camber bolts 99% of the time will not allow you to get to .5 negative rear camber once you lower the car. For street and road course use and to neutralize a good portion of the negative camber you are left with when installing drop springs/coilovers shoot for negative .5 degree rear camber on each side, negative .8 to 1 degree camber in the front and positive ( toe in ) .05 degree toe on each of all 4 wheels. You'll retain good tire wear and have a better handling car. Too much rear negative camber causes the car to under steer and is a contributor to rear wheel hop under acceleration. I've spent a lot of time ( and $$ ) finding a happy medium between tire wear and handling for everyday driving and an occasional autocross or road course. For drag strip use, the closer you get to 0 camber in the rear the better but 0 camber in the rear isn't a practical setting if the car is driven as a daily driver. .4 to .5 negative in the rear works well.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, Hawk HPS Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredstein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, GM SS Fender & LS3 Emblems.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Do your self a favor and get the Pedders rear camber bolts which means you also will get the Pedders rear toe bolts as they only sell them in a set. The factory rear camber bolts 99% of the time will not allow you to get to .5 negative rear camber once you lower the car. For street and road course use and to neutralize a good portion of the negative camber you are left with when installing drop springs/coilovers shoot for negative .5 degree rear camber on each side, negative .8 to 1 degree camber in the front and positive ( toe in ) .05 degree toe on each of all 4 wheels. You'll retain good tire wear and have a better handling car. Too much rear negative camber causes the car to under steer and is a contributor to rear wheel hop under acceleration. I've spent a lot of time ( and $$ ) finding a happy medium between tire wear and handling for everyday driving and an occasional autocross or road course. For drag strip use, the closer you get to 0 camber in the rear the better but 0 camber in the rear isn't a practical setting if the car is driven as a daily driver. .4 to .5 negative in the rear works well.
Ed M.
So to sum this up, you're saying with XAs and a 1.5" drop there's no way to dial in an aggressive street alignment without using the camber bolts? I'm getting a complete install with XAs, bushings, toe & trailing arms next week and if I need the bolts, I need to order them now.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
flht99b

All depends on what you specifically mean ( actual numbers ) by "aggressive street alignment".
I'm willing to bet with a true 1.5" drop in the rear the least amount of negative camber you can attain with the stock rear camber bolts will be .7 degree or more negative camber. My own car and those I've worked on at 1" to 1.25" rear drop on at least one one side of car could not get less than .6 degree negative on one side and .9 degree negative on the other side with the OEM camber bolts.
Remember, everyone will tell you the car will exhibit less under steer if the front negative amber approaches twice that of the rear negative camber. So if you are at 1 degree negative in the rear, you will be need to be near 2 degrees negative in the front.
Not ideal for decent tire wear on the street.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, Hawk HPS Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredstein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, GM SS Fender & LS3 Emblems.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
All depends on what you specifically mean ( actual numbers ) by "aggressive street alignment".
I'm using Pedder's description of the alignment from their chart. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PDUSACAMFULL_ALIGNMENT_SPECS.pdf (601.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
flht99b

Using Pedders chart for modified aggressive street front suspension, the front camber and toe is no problem with the OEM adjustability built into the front suspension. Only the caster is difficult as it requires a kit as stock the caster isn't adjustable. My car has 6.8 degrees caster each side and isn't adjustable unless you buy/install Pedders front caster kit. I personally don't think the additional caster in the front for a car seeing mostly street use justifies the cost but that's just my opinion.
The rear camber you may or may not be able to hit the negative .75 degrees camber preferred on BOTH sides of the car as shown on Pedders modified suspension aggressive street settings for the rear, especially with a 1.5" drop. More than likely you'll see negative 1 degree or more as the LEAST negative camber you can get with the OEM rear camber adjustment bolts. Personally after living with my car over 14K miles on the street and a few autocross and road course events and several different alignment setups prefer .5 degree negative camber in the rear ( again this is personal choice ). It seems to work well to improve turn in and reduce under steer plus increases the contact patch of the rear tires for hard acceleration/drag strip use not to mention improves tire wear. You have to decide what is more important, street use or full out road racing. It's all a compromise, I've found the balance I'm happy with based on my car's mod's and the way I drive it. I'm not trying to sell Pedders products and frankly believe their camber/toe bolt kit for the rear is over priced BUT if you go to have the car aligned and can't hit the rear camber alignment settings at the ride height you want, you'll be installing them anyway. FYI, I run 650mm front ride height and 657mm rear ride height using the measurement method Pedders outlines in their XA install instructions.
Ed M.