Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,758
What can she do?

Enough with the look at my latest cosmetic upgrade pictures! 24 hours after the first Boss was delivered we had a 1/4 number. The next couole of day a half dozen Dyno reports and some feedback from track experience. I'm here as a fan of the engineering behind this car. So enough look at my pretty upgrade threads and more track videos and reports please. At this rate my upcoming ZL1 ride this weekend will be the first delivered track report. We can't have that can we?
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Nmbr1gmfan
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL.
Posts: 360
I think the Ford crowd already knows it runs 12 flat, doesn't have 650hp and will out run any mustang on a road course.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPvVm...&feature=share
New and improved non-violation sig vid!!
Nmbr1gmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
f r
The GYROMEISTER
 
Drives: Future ZL-1 Owner
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: EL YUNQUE
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1gmfan View Post
I think the Ford crowd already knows it runs 12 flat, doesn't have 650hp and will out run any mustang on a road course.
12s flat? Talk about a conservative statement. This car w/ its TCM and its superior counter magnetic suspension will run mid to high 11s. This car was build to live in TRACKS! Oh my perfect God, Im just a mortal, but, GM is on TOP Archangel Gabriel style. There's a reason why Ford hasn't showed their mighty 13 GT500 SVT PERF. numbers. They're scared AND w/ a reason.

The ZL1
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoneye
ZL1 will beat the GT500 in any measure... And that's not a completely blind statement...
Status3300
f  r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by f r View Post
12s flat? Talk about a conservative statement. This car w/ its TCM and its superior counter magnetic suspension will run mid to high 11s. This car was build to live in TRACKS! Oh my perfect God, Im just a mortal, but, GM is on TOP Archangel Gabriel style. There's a reason why Ford hasn't showed their mighty 13 GT500 SVT PERF. numbers. They're scared AND w/ a reason.

The ZL1
Yeah, yeah so much talk. This car turns mere mortals into the Stig. Let's see some proof.
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
heh heh heh....its showtime!
__________________
2012 ZL1
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
GRYGOOS
The Goose is loose!
 
GRYGOOS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS M6 CGM IO Stripes/Int
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by f r View Post
12s flat? Talk about a conservative statement. This car w/ its TCM and its superior counter magnetic suspension will run mid to high 11s. This car was build to live in TRACKS! Oh my perfect God, Im just a mortal, but, GM is on TOP Archangel Gabriel style. There's a reason why Ford hasn't showed their mighty 13 GT500 SVT PERF. numbers. They're scared AND w/ a reason.

The ZL1
Troll
GRYGOOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
btw..when entering the data into a 1/4 mile calculator, It calculates 11.59 as the time in the quarter, so This would usually indicate a best possible scenario.
__________________
2012 ZL1
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
IOMZL1

 
IOMZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYGOOS View Post
Please don't ruin this for him.
__________________


Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand...

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

https://www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
f r
The GYROMEISTER
 
Drives: Future ZL-1 Owner
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: EL YUNQUE
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYGOOS View Post
You're absolutely wrong...
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoneye
ZL1 will beat the GT500 in any measure... And that's not a completely blind statement...
Status3300
f  r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
f r
The GYROMEISTER
 
Drives: Future ZL-1 Owner
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: EL YUNQUE
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
btw..when entering the data into a 1/4 mile calculator, It calculates 11.59 as the time in the quarter, so This would usually indicate a best possible scenario.
^ BINGO. That shows the real capability of the car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoneye
ZL1 will beat the GT500 in any measure... And that's not a completely blind statement...
Status3300
f  r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,758
Sims. Calculations. Pah! Let's see some rubber on your rear quarter panels and video proof of results. GoPro cameras, iPhones and Larry's Laptimers for all.
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
Yes, its a sim, but I don't have my car yet so its as close as one can get without just takin a random guess at it.
Seems reasonable, but we will see in good time I guess. Maybe people are still doing break in ?
__________________
2012 ZL1
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Enough with the look at my latest cosmetic upgrade pictures! 24 hours after the first Boss was delivered we had a 1/4 number. The next couole of day a half dozen Dyno reports and some feedback from track experience. I'm here as a fan of the engineering behind this car. So enough look at my pretty upgrade threads and more track videos and reports please. At this rate my upcoming ZL1 ride this weekend will be the first delivered track report. We can't have that can we?
what this tells me is mustang guys don't care about break in periods. and so far all the owners that have received theirs on this forum do. at least that's my take on this.


oh and what's good about a 1/4 number? what's good about 330'? lol I crack myself up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
peteypab2133
 
Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 94
Has anyone attempted to plug their car into the real 1/4 mile simulator yet? to much bench racing lately...
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
peteypab2133
 
Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
what this tells me is mustang guys don't care about break in periods. and so far all the owners that have received theirs on this forum do. at least that's my take on this.


oh and what's good about a 1/4 number? what's good about 330'? lol I crack myself up.
first off, break in periods are just excuses. Most of these motors are ran for HOURS AND HOURS before even put into a car. So what is another 9 hours at 70 mph going to help you. Builders take cars, mod them from top to bottom and immediately after starting them up put them on a dyno.

The real reason for 1/4 mile numbers is to provide real world HP figures. trap speeds/ET's do not lie and dyno's can be calibrated to say anything. I can make an SS camaro in stock form say 518 whp if I wanted.
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels
 
Ron66Vette&10SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS Hot Wheels & 66 L79 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derby, Kansas
Posts: 766
Wow.....I think there's an awful lot of denial and wishful thinking going on here

I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but honestly, I think on street tires we'll be LUCKY to see sub 12's with very high 11's being EXTREMELY rare (if at all). I still have a bad suspicion that the hold was due to a drivetrain durability issue that was "fixed" by programming in more torque management. And if that's the case, we actually will have a 12.4-12.5 second car.

Like I said, I REALLY do hope I'm wrong on all of the above and am looking forward to seeing some "real" 1/4 mile times from production cars......hopefully I'll be surprised.
__________________
Previous Cars: '78 Z28, '92 Z28, '95 Z28, '85 Corvette, '01 SS, '96 Z28, '04 Z06 Corvette, '10 SS
Current Cars: '13 SS Hot Wheels (daily driver), '04 Trailblazer (rain & snow)'66 Corvette (restoring),
Ron66Vette&10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
tooslow
Who's "Gail"?
 
tooslow's Avatar
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
first off, break in periods are just excuses. Most of these motors are ran for HOURS AND HOURS before even put into a car. So what is another 9 hours at 70 mph going to help you. Builders take cars, mod them from top to bottom and immediately after starting them up put them on a dyno.

The real reason for 1/4 mile numbers is to provide real world HP figures. trap speeds/ET's do not lie and dyno's can be calibrated to say anything. I can make an SS camaro in stock form say 518 whp if I wanted.
This. Break-in periods are less for the engine than other parts of the drivetrain. In truth, they are really just a way for the manufacturer to reduce the number of warranty claims on a new car. It's like this, if something were to go wrong with the car and you did not follow the recommended break-in procedure, they could, technically, refuse to honor the warranty.

Now, I ask you this, how many of you who have not followed the recommended break-in procedure ever had issues? I break in cars the way my dad taught me. You break them in using the same manner you intend to use the product. I have had no less than 5 new performance cars in the 10 years, and I never followed the "recommended" break-in procedure with any of them and had zero issues with any of them as a result. None, nada, nichts.

Heck, I took my 2001 Camaro SS to the dragstrip two days and 45 miles after buying it. Drove it 28k miles before I sold it and never encountered one issue from it's non-recommended break-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS View Post
Wow.....I think there's an awful lot of denial and wishful thinking going on here

I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but honestly, I think on street tires we'll be LUCKY to see sub 12's with very high 11's being EXTREMELY rare (if at all). I still have a bad suspicion that the hold was due to a drivetrain durability issue that was "fixed" by programming in more torque management. And if that's the case, we actually will have a 12.4-12.5 second car.

Like I said, I REALLY do hope I'm wrong on all of the above and am looking forward to seeing some "real" 1/4 mile times from production cars......hopefully I'll be surprised.
I will disagree. I think we will see more than one 12-flat or sub-11 second time from a stock ZL1 on the factory tires. Mid 11's, nah. That being said, I think we will see more low-12's from them than anything simply because most people buying these cars likely don't have any experience with a car making this kind of power at the dragstrip. Like we saw 13 second GT500 runs, we will see plenty of 13 second ZL1 runs.

Last edited by tooslow; 04-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
peteypab2133
 
Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post

Now, I ask you this, how many of you who have not followed the recommended break-in procedure ever had issues? I break in cars the way my dad taught me. You break them in using the same manner you intend to use the product. I have had no less than 5 new performance cars in the 10 years, and I never followed the "recommended" break-in procedure with any of them and had zero issues with any of them as a result. None, nada, nichts.

Heck, I took my 2001 Camaro SS to the dragstrip two days and 45 miles after buying it. Drove it 28k miles before I sold it and never encountered one issue from it's non-recommended break-in.
I concur.
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
what this tells me is mustang guys don't care about break in periods. and so far all the owners that have received theirs on this forum do. at least that's my take on this.


oh and what's good about a 1/4 number? what's good about 330'? lol I crack myself up.
To quote my Owner's manual, "Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1000 miles (1600 km) of the new vehicle operation. ... Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers..."
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
first off, break in periods are just excuses. Most of these motors are ran for HOURS AND HOURS before even put into a car. So what is another 9 hours at 70 mph going to help you. Builders take cars, mod them from top to bottom and immediately after starting them up put them on a dyno.

The real reason for 1/4 mile numbers is to provide real world HP figures. trap speeds/ET's do not lie and dyno's can be calibrated to say anything. I can make an SS camaro in stock form say 518 whp if I wanted.
Well so lets see a camaro that does 12.5 at 111.9 mph has more hp or less then one that does the same ET at 115? Both did not let up. I speak of this because my 4th gen was notorious for being "low" on the trap speed. 1/4 mile times show car + driver ability not just car. Also a bad track prep can cause lower numbers then expected. Head winds, humidity, altitude. . .etc. A lot more variables then a dyno.

and also this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
This. Break-in periods are less for the engine than other parts of the drivetrain. In truth, they are really just a way for the manufacturer to reduce the number of warranty claims on a new car. It's like this, if something were to go wrong with the car and you did not follow the recommended break-in procedure, they could, technically, refuse to honor the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
To quote my Owner's manual, "Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1000 miles (1600 km) of the new vehicle operation. ... Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers..."

And that's fords break in period. Not the ZL1's. so apples to oranges. Again most of the people on this forum that's taken delivery might respect their break in periods more than mustang guys. but my first day driving my vert I put 180 miles on it. so your 100 mile limit is extremely do able.

but where does it say launching a car hard during the break in period? you can be going 30 miles an hour and go WOT, and the stress on the suspension and frame isn't as hard as it would be from launching the car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #21
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,758
What is the break-in for the ZL1?
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I'm sure it's around 1k miles. but the only real way we can get the answer is to find someone with the owners manual.

but found this on the infamous google
"How are you guys going to break in your ZL1? The manufacturer recommends not going over 80 MPH or 4000 RPM until after 1500 miles. I keep on hearing about the aggressive break in procedure that nets you an extra 15-20 horsepower due to the sealing of the piston rings or something like that. Anyways, how will you guys break yours in? If you use a specific method please let me know because I want ..."

Now I do have to bring up a good point about his mention of an aggressive break in. Someone should look up about that for honda CBR1000's. Most of the guys that did that break in have seal issues. but did net the increased HP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Note: ZL1 performance parts have a break-in period. For the first 2,414 km (1,500 miles) avoid full-throttle starts and abrupt stops, do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm, avoid driving at any one constant speed, and do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph). Following these break-in period guidelines will result in better performance in the long run.

quoted from a service bulletin on another camaro forum.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #24
peteypab2133
 
Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Note: ZL1 performance parts have a break-in period. For the first 2,414 km (1,500 miles) avoid full-throttle starts and abrupt stops, do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm, avoid driving at any one constant speed, and do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph). Following these break-in period guidelines will result in better performance in the long run.

quoted from a service bulletin on another camaro forum.
cars come with rules now? So becuase these cars are such a collectable, I assume most wont even get 1500 miles on them. Which tells me they will never get to go over 4000 rpms.
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Nmbr1gmfan
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL.
Posts: 360
Im sure sub 12s will be had in a week.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPvVm...&feature=share
New and improved non-violation sig vid!!
Nmbr1gmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.