Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
A few words to our new ZL1 customers -

First - thank you for your patience over the past months.

The wait for many is best described as 'excruciating' --

and that goes for the Camaro Team as well!

We can hardly wait to get your reactions when you climb into the driver's seat!

As you drive your new ZL1, I think you'll get a renewed sense of the committment that "Team Camaro" has pledged: To build you the best possible product - AND - to bring it in at a Chevrolet Price. (...more than expected...)

Yes - it's frustrating to know that your "Pride and Joy" has been built and is just sitting at the Assembly plant. BUT - we do not want to ship these cars until we're sure that everything is as it was designed to be - and engineered to be.

(......in some cases, life was a bit easier before the internet....

Now - the second thing I want to impress upon you concerns the Break-in period -

Looking at your Owner's Manual, you'll see that we give you specifics on how to properly break in the powertrain and the brakes.

Failure to do this can impact your car's long-term performance - and so I urge you to read the owner's manual -- (which you should do anyway -- ) BUT -- specifically about the break-in period.

So - while some of you may want to 'take it to the track right now' - we ask you NOT to do that until you've gone thru the break-in cycle. (and that goes for doing burnouts as well!)

Also note that there is a section on things like 'burnishing the brakes' (AFTER the break-in period) -- and things one should always do before and after a session on a road course.........it's simply common-sense stuff........

Now - go enjoy your ZL1 -- and on behalf of everyone at "Team Camaro" and the great men and women that build these automobiles:

--- "THANK YOU for choosing a ZL1 - -we truly hope this will be the best car you've ever owned!"
Old 04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks Fbodfather. 'Maxine' (#336) was delivered to Stingray Chevrolet along with afirehawks1's ZL1 early this morning. I am looking forward to giving a first impressions account of my first Camaro. It has been two years and two weeks since I gave Stingray a deposit for the the car. I am looking forward to picking her up and driving home tomorrow. Nothing over 80 mph and nothing over 4000 RPM, it is going to be a long 1500 miles.
Attached Images

Last edited by OldJedi; 09-22-2012 at 12:28 AM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
afirehawk1

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS, 2007 Z51 Corvette
All I can say is WOW and thanks!!! Words can not describe my emotions right now!!!!
And I havent even driven it yet!!

Rally Yellow ZL1, auto, SSX wheels, standard black hood insert
afirehawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
........, it is going to be a long 1500 miles.

betcha it won't be!!!! I think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised at how well the ZL1 rides - and how quiet it is at 70mph -- and how comfortable the seats are --

.........and THEN there's the 'wild' side --

Best of Luck with "Maxine" - and THANK YOU for your kind patience, your voice of reason over the past few months - and for 'Keeping the Faith!' --

On behalf of everyone at Team Camaro and our team-mates at Oshawa - THANK YOU for choosing a ZL1 - we hope this will be -by far- the best car you've ever owned!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
What about us poor schmucks stuck at 1100? Any news for us?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Max536

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #695
Thank You Scott. It is the best car I've owned.
Max536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
JUSTINASS

Drives: 00 SS / 10 2SS RS RJT
and be safe!!!
JUSTINASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Scott,

Thanks to you and the Camaro Team. #413 came home Wednesday night. At the dealership we were the hit of the day. My dealer is smaller dealer and alot of the sales people did not even know they had a ZL1 coming in. I worked directly with sales manager.

#413 is truely a beast and wants to run. I am keeping it under control and working on the break-in. But I must say you guys got it right......my best friend is a Mustang person and just finished restoring his '67'. He saw the ZL1 and fell in love. Everyone that sees it gives a thumbs up and just can not believe that it is a Camaro.

After the break-in it will be time for track day.

If you are ever in the Pacific Northwest let know and dinner will be on me......
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
brucedd
Account Suspended

Drives: xxx
Congrats Jedi! Post Pics soon!

Fbodfather when is anyone going to address the issue of the production schedule nightmare?

I dropped AGAIN from 3400 to 3300 and I am sorry but this has been very far from a pleasant customer service experience.

Thanks-
Bruce
Attached Images

brucedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
RallyYellow11

Drives: 2010 CGM LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
Scott,

Thanks to you and the Camaro Team. #413 came home Wednesday night. At the dealership we were the hit of the day. My dealer is smaller dealer and alot of the sales people did not even know they had a ZL1 coming in. I worked directly with sales manager.

#413 is truely a beast and wants to run. I am keeping it under control and working on the break-in. But I must say you guys got it right......my best friend is a Mustang person and just finished restoring his '67'. He saw the ZL1 and fell in love. Everyone that sees it gives a thumbs up and just can not believe that it is a Camaro.

After the break-in it will be time for track day.

If you are ever in the Pacific Northwest let know and dinner will be on me......
Oh man, so that means there is a ZL1 close to me, I hope iget to see you driving it around. Congrats man,
Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyYellow11 View Post
Oh man, so that means there is a ZL1 close to me, I hope iget to see you driving it around. Congrats man,
Thanks, Will be Yelm next weekend visiting a 2011 Boss 302

#413 was the 1st ZL1 delivered in Washington.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Kscarguy

Drives: 1956 Chevy, 2000 vette, 2010 camaro
I've put only 100 miles on the car today since getting it yesterday and the break in cycle is very demanding. Not from what Team Camaro has required, but that 4000 RPM limit keeps me on my toes!! The car is quick, the ride is better than my 2SS, and the manual gearbox shifts so nicely through gears that it makes the manual in my 2010 SS feel like a truck transmission! (I'm known to be VERY blunt when communicating) and I haven't taken it out of Tour mode and probably wont until 1501 miles.

Because I know what will happen if I do that.

The salesman and I drove it to fill it up with gas and at 2800 RPM shifting into 2nd the rear slid ever so slightly, but enough that we both looked at each other and were grinning ear-to-ear.

It takes the corners and on ramps so well that the only reason for slowing down is catching up to a car in front of me. ..

Fbodfather -While I don't have a Perma-Grin yet... I will say that MODERATE acceleration through the gears (Staying under 4000 rpm and 80 MPH) does leave me with the feeling that one gets on some of the baddest roller-coasters as they accelerate from take off..WHHHEEEEEEEE!!!

I can't wait to get it to Iowa and give it to Dad for his "Bucket List" tour of Route 66 (what's left of it)
Kscarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Seraph98

Drives: 2010 Silverado
Fbodfather,

Thank you and all of GM for bringing us this car. I cannot wait to drive mine. ATM though mine has been sitting in Annapolis MD since monday along with some others on here.

I know you said in another post that the cars do not get held up at the railyards. I was told today that mine will probably be there another week. Any idea why this one location can't seem to get the cars processed any out to the customers?

Hoping your or someone can shed some light on this.

Thank you
Seraph98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
jumpcore

Drives: ZL1
I am starting to get really annoyed..with this 3100 and 3300 sequence can someone ...please.... figure out what is going.... I dont thing I can do this again.....

12/12/2011 (1100) Order placed at dealership. Order passed GM edit tables but dealer has not received allocation to place order.
12/12/2011 (1102) Order entered via web.
12/13/2011 (2030) Order edited or modified.
12/19/2011 (2000) Order accepted by GM. Dealer used allocation to place order into production.
12/20/2011 (2500) Order preferenced. Order pulled to the production system.
12/20/2011 (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
01/14/2012 (3100) Order available to sequence.
01/14/2012 (3300) Order scheduled for production. Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle.
01/20/2012 (3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
01/21/2012 (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
02/02/2012 (3100) Order available to sequence.
02/02/2012 (3300) Order scheduled for production. Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle.
02/04/2012 (3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
02/11/2012 (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
02/20/2012 (3100) Order available to sequence.
02/20/2012 (3300) Order scheduled for production. Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle.
02/24/2012 (3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
03/01/2012 (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
03/22/2012 (3100) Order available to sequence.
03/22/2012 (3300) Order scheduled for production. Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle.
04/02/2012 (3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
04/12/2012 (3100) Order available to sequence.
04/12/2012 (3300) Order scheduled for production. Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle.

Last edited by jumpcore; 04-19-2012 at 09:10 AM.
jumpcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
It seems that there are some differing opinions regarding new engine break in procedures. Scott, maybe you can provide some clarity.

It is my understanding that with regard to new engines, engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. Also, there is a lot less heat build up in the cylinders from ring friction due to the finer honing pattern and vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used in modern engines. Therefore, the wearing in of the new parts involves significantly less friction and actual wear than it did in the past, and, accordingly, these differences change the break-in requirements when compared to older engines, because the time frame for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with newer engines than it was with the older engines.

I believe that piston rings don’t rely on their spring tension to seal against the cylinder bores. Instead, the rings are forced outward by combustion gases that work their way between the rings and the piston. Therefore, during the early stages of engine operation, it’s important that the throttle be opened relatively far at lower RPMs to provide this high pressure. Otherwise, the rings won’t seal against the cylinder walls properly, which will reduce engine performance and shorten engine life. Also, for the first thousand miles, one should avoid constant speeds and throttle settings.

Is it recommended that one should not open the throttle significantly on the ZL1 during the first 1,500 miles of operation? If so, that would seem counter intuitive to me to achieve properly ring sealing.

Any thoughts?
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
betcha it won't be!!!! I think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised at how well the ZL1 rides - and how quiet it is at 70mph -- and how comfortable the seats are --

.........and THEN there's the 'wild' side --

Best of Luck with "Maxine" - and THANK YOU for your kind patience, your voice of reason over the past few months - and for 'Keeping the Faith!' --

On behalf of everyone at Team Camaro and our team-mates at Oshawa - THANK YOU for choosing a ZL1 - we hope this will be -by far- the best car you've ever owned!
I have lot of "Thanks" to dispense:

Thanks to, Stingray Chevrolet for letting an East Coaster buy a car at a guaranteed MSRP price and taking a deposit on a "possible Z28" sometime in the future two years in advance. They have kept me very well informed through out the process and were extremely professional ad polite.

Thanks to all of the members of Camaro5 that have become like a virtual family and in many cases real friends.

A special thank you to Becky, Joe and Maureen at Rodger's Chevrolet for everything that they have done for all of us and especially for me.

A special thank you to Super 60 and everyone in the Camaro plant in Oshawa for building a phenomenal car for all of us to enjoy.

And a really big thank you to Fbodfather, who kept reminding us to "keep the faith" and informing us with as much information as he possibly could. He took a lot of heat on so many occasions from us and gritted his teeth with a smile and kept going. The doctor had to take his laptop away from him while he was having a procedure done because it was blocking the doctor's view. A great guy with a huge heart and a love for this Chevy marque, Camaro.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
RallyYellow11

Drives: 2010 CGM LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
Thanks, Will be Yelm next weekend visiting a 2011 Boss 302

#413 was the 1st ZL1 delivered in Washington.
Would love to see that beast in person, but I might be in school next weekend in Virginia, .
Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Please.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2303
Hi Scott

I really think the specific PDI requirements for the ZL1 need to be communicated more forcefully to the dealerships.

It's fine to talk about the break-in procedure, but I have seen numerous cars on here that have been delivered to the customer with the spring spacers still in, and this is just as likely to cause damage as not following the correct break-in procedure.

Most people ordering a ZL1 will be aware of this and check before they accept the car, but what about those that don't - and what about the miles put on the car before the customer picks it up such as going to get gas, and the PDI miles etc.
Modern07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
rrubio

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2012 Audi Q7
i think the people that have actually received their car are in the minority. plenty more are waiting on getting built or wondering if theyre getting bumped to next year. TPWs would go a long way
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Thanks Fbodfather. 'Maxine' (#336) was delivered to Stingray Chevrolet along with afirehawks1's ZL1 early this morning. I am looking forward to giving a first impressions account of my first Camaro. It has been two years and two weeks since I gave Stingray a deposit for the the car. I am looking forward to picking her up and driving home tomorrow. Nothing over 80 mph and nothing over 4000 RPM, it is going to be a long 1500 miles.
Jedi, I am really thrilled to hear the good news and look forward to seeing your Perma Grin with many pics posted! Congrats Brother!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afirehawk1 View Post
All I can say is WOW and thanks!!! Words can not describe my emotions right now!!!!
And I havent even driven it yet!!
I would like to say this car has delivered more than promised. Wait till you drive it. I feel exactly like you do!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
2SSJIM

Drives: CRT ZL1 #1400
Thanks Scott for those encouraging words and I will be looking forward to my build week and it's arrival. Presently still at 3000 but know any day now!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Please.
I'm happy for all the new ZL1 owners too, in fact I got to ride in one today... but there are still a bunch of us in limbo...

I thought we were supposed to hear something about the remaining 2012 allocations this week...

...instead I get wait til the next DSOP...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
I would think taking it easy for the first 1500 miles is more important for brakes and The rearend than the engine. If you run a car hard early on it takes longer for the rings to seat.

But I am not sure I would put a brand new ZL1 on a dyno like some here have.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #25
piepouli

Drives: 04 gmc/ zl1
the way things are going I will be lucky to get 100 miles on mine this year, maybe it will come with winter tires
piepouli is offline   Reply With Quote