Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Shallow staging can get you better ET's but it all depends on how faast the car is to begin with. If I shallow stage or deep stage it makes less than a 10th of a second differance since im not in an 8 second car. Im in a low 12 car. Anyway, I always shallow stage to get all I can out of the ET. BUT shallow staging makes no differance in RT's. All your reaction time is, is you unbreaking the second beam. It doesnt matter if you shallow or deep stage.
What he said. Deep staging vs. shallow staging in a stock Camaro SS isn't going to amount for much of anything (E.T. wise)
I'd just try to get a smooth launch with as little wheel spin as possible. That will shave more time off a run (60', and 1/4 mile).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
ss409cid

 
ss409cid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SE NC
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber2SS View Post
My brother in the 392 ran mostly 8.50s warm but when he let it cool down he ran a 8.17 and a 8.13 both around 1.88 60ft times. My camaro went best at 8.48 with 2.03 60ft. I could not get any traction launchin around 2500rpm. Once I get tires I assume I could compete but for now he wins round 1 of the the grudge racing.
I cant give any racing advice, but I hope you take next time out.....
__________________
ss409cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
Cyber2SS
 
Drives: 2013 M6 ZL1 2012 Shelby Cobra
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 87
The point is my brother in his boring automatic 392 kicked my sticks butt. Lol I wish Chevy would beef up the motor like the mopar guys did. My whipple is coming on Monday so no worries. Still I think the price of a challenger or any srt is ridiculous!
Cyber2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #21
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Shallow staging can get you better ET's but it all depends on how faast the car is to begin with. If I shallow stage or deep stage it makes less than a 10th of a second differance since im not in an 8 second car. Im in a low 12 car. Anyway, I always shallow stage to get all I can out of the ET. BUT shallow staging makes no differance in RT's. All your reaction time is, is you unbreaking the second beam. It doesnt matter if you shallow or deep stage.

SRT8Tech
Congrats on the new 500 but wasn't your Challenger faster than the 500 bone stock . I have been also thinking about the Challenger 392 myself so I could actually bring the whole family along on a cruise.
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
Rock36
I just like V8s
 
Rock36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber2SS View Post
My brother in the 392 ran mostly 8.50s warm but when he let it cool down he ran a 8.17 and a 8.13 both around 1.88 60ft times. My camaro went best at 8.48 with 2.03 60ft. I could not get any traction launchin around 2500rpm. Once I get tires I assume I could compete but for now he wins round 1 of the the grudge racing.
At least you actually went out and ran.
__________________
"Anyone know who sells the driver mods?"

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
archtaan
 
Drives: car
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 305
Congrats on getting out there and having fun. You will get him next time!!!!


I launch at 5000 with my Challenger with a best 60' of 1.48, definitely not on factory tires though. They really suck.
archtaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
NoWRX
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 STi - World Rally Blue
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
SRT8Tech
Congrats on the new 500 but wasn't your Challenger faster than the 500 bone stock . I have been also thinking about the Challenger 392 myself so I could actually bring the whole family along on a cruise.
Maybe from a dig, but the GT500 is certainly faster from a roll.
NoWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWRX View Post
Maybe from a dig, but the GT500 is certainly faster from a roll.
It would be interesting to see them run from a roll... I think it would be closer than you think too.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #26
goodtime
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT;2010 Challenger R/T
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
SRT8Tech
Congrats on the new 500 but wasn't your Challenger faster than the 500 bone stock . I have been also thinking about the Challenger 392 myself so I could actually bring the whole family along on a cruise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWRX View Post
Maybe from a dig, but the GT500 is certainly faster from a roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
It would be interesting to see them run from a roll... I think it would be closer than you think too.
Wow!

Any 2010+ GT500 is still superior to the 392 Challenger in every way. There is also way more potential with them for mods. It is very easy to get another 100HP out of a GT500. You can't do that to a 392 without some serious $$$. It is just not anywhere close for comparison between the two.
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtime View Post
Wow!

Any 2010+ GT500 is still superior to the 392 Challenger in every way. There is also way more potential with them for mods. It is very easy to get another 100HP out of a GT500. You can't do that to a 392 without some serious $$$. It is just not anywhere close for comparison between the two.
I'd agree with you when we speak about modified, but stock for stock I think the 392 automatic is the superior car. The downside like you mention is no computer software tuning available, and little aftermarket support that is fairly priced.
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I'd agree with you when we speak about modified, but stock for stock I think the 392 automatic is the superior car. The downside like you mention is no computer software tuning available, and little aftermarket support that is fairly priced.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #29
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee
 
SRT8Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL.
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
It would be interesting to see them run from a roll... I think it would be closer than you think too.
Ehhhh, after driving the GT500 for a week, From a roll, it will own the 392. Its not gonna suck the paint off the 392 or anything but it definately will pull away pretty decently.
At the track, it will be all driver. Its not real easy to get the GT500 to hook on the stock tires. Ive got it down pretty good now but its still tricky. I got the GT500 so I can actually mod my stuff. Im looking to get 650 rwhp and thats extremely easy in the 2012 GT500's.
__________________
2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD


Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Ehhhh, after driving the GT500 for a week, From a roll, it will own the 392. Its not gonna suck the paint off the 392 or anything but it definately will pull away pretty decently.
At the track, it will be all driver. Its not real easy to get the GT500 to hook on the stock tires. Ive got it down pretty good now but its still tricky. I got the GT500 so I can actually mod my stuff. Im looking to get 650 rwhp and thats extremely easy in the 2012 GT500's.
I wish they would crack the tunes on those 392s. Those would be a monster if you could mod them...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #31
Stew


 
Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern, Ky
Posts: 3,789
I don't think anybody could really argue against the fact that, as far as pony cars go, the GT500 is not only the best plaform for big HP numbers, but reliable big HP numbers.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
Lemmy
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I don't think anybody could really argue against the fact that, as far as pony cars go, the GT500 is not only the best plaform for big HP numbers, but reliable big HP numbers.
If anything, the Shelbys may slightly exceed some of their reported hp and torque numbers. They certainly meet them. But it takes a more skilled driver to get what the Shelby has to offer than it does for some other cars. I can't use what I have off launch, and the 2013's are a lot more powerful.
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern Camaro Performance Parts - www.PartsTaxi.com PartsTaxi.com Sponsor Announcements / Giveaways / Contests 0 10-06-2010 05:26 PM
My Shootout: 2010 Camaro SS vs. 2011 Mustang GT nester7929 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 15 06-01-2010 07:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.