Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs black on black
Check out my loaner.

Name:  20170306_130757.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  265.6 KB
Second time I've had this for a weekend. I like the styling of my 11 better, but this car is way more fun to drive.
If I'd never seen a 5th gen and this was the re-intro of the Camaro I imagine I'd love this one too. There's no question I like 5th's more though.

My favorite thing about this one is the exhaust mode options and the bump stick shifter. It has 3 exhaust modes from stealth to sport, and sport is plenty loud.
Hopefully the tranny is well designed 'cause no dude on Earth is gonna not shift the s#!t outta this car! Seriously, it's addicting.
The gear shifter is normal except that in D you you can gently pull the shfter to the left and it pops into manual and from there bump the shifter fwd for up shifts and bump back for downshift.
A better design would be to reverse the bump pattern so that up shifts pull back as you're being thrown BACK into the seat.....something this car does well. None the less the bump shifter is too fun.

It's an 8 speed so you learn to down shift in chunks, like from 8 you'd bump 7-6-5-.........4-3........2........1..... (with lot's of popping and growling).
When driving smooth at moderate speed it's real easy to get that manual sound by lifting throttle right at the shift, wait for the pop pop pop and the throttle on.
It literally feels like the auto clutch waits for you to throttle after the shift allowing for the popping and gurgling w/o slowing in between....like I said, fun as hell to drive slow or fast.
You've also got paddles on the wheel, and for someone with buttons (like me) I love the paddles and got to play with them on my last loaner (2016 SS).
However, with the bump shifter......might as well lose the paddles. For me I've always liked to hold the shifter even on auto's,
but I've gotten outta the habit with my 11 due to the uncomfortable position of the shifter.
Now that I've mastered the buttons there's no need to hold shifter anyway. So again, feels good to hold shifter and actually use it for shifting!
Also the shifter is perfectly shaped and located to relax your wrist on while you tune the stereo.

Next I like the one push traction release (no hold for 7 seconds BS).
Tires roll way easier than my 11.
By the way my dealer is a close personal friend who insists that I enjoy the car......probably 'cause he thinks I'll buy it
.........which is exactly how I ended up with the 11 when it was new.
A solid plan for sure, but as much fun as this car is I like my 11 better.

For people who love accessories (toys) this one has everything,
heated and ac'd seats, both seats full power, touch screen everything,
multi colored heads up display up with a g-force setting as well as icon shaped exactly like the road sign displaying speed limit where you are at all times.
Cruise can be set to speed limit so vehicle will auto adjust on the fly.

Passenger climate control, rear view backup camera with visual guide,

blind spot warnings on side view mirrors, keyless ignition and wireless charger on console (the kind you just lay your phone on).

Me personally. I like the simplistic approach on my 11. I get how cool all this stuff is but I just prefer the less is more (for me anyway).
Make no mistake, this car is ultra cool and it's a true race/muscle car that tours well too.

Anyway, much respect for 6th gens.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
So why are you in a loaner???

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
audiowhiz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
So why are you in a loaner???
Better question is: who gives out a SS/ RS for a loaner?
audiowhiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #4
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowhiz View Post
Better question is: who gives out a SS/ RS for a loaner?
RS isn't available on the SS. It already comes with HID's, spoiler, and larger wheels and tires. Im curious as well though. Every time I get a loaner its some POS.
Gone but not forgotten: 2002 M.Y. Corvette, 2002 Camaro LE SS, SS#1872 LE#571
14Black1LESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Mac Arnold

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm sure they are probably doing that on purpose hoping and praying the OP will fall in love with it and buy it!
Mac Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
LStick

Drives: 2015 2LS Red Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Arnold View Post
I'm sure they are probably doing that on purpose hoping and praying the OP will fall in love with it and buy it!
Dealer knows what he is doing.

Setting the hook.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS and Twin Turbo'd SRT8
Crafty bastards!!!
1LE Front with DSE Links and Rear Sway Bars, Splitter, 3.91 Gears with 1LE Axles, 14/15 Heat extractor in a 13 1LE hood, 1LE shocks and struts,1LE Suede Flat bottom Steering wheel restitched in orange, Factory Hurst short throw shifter with the Pegasus rear poly shifter mount, ZL1 Rockers, Belly Pan and pedals, Z/28 Intake, Limo tint, Skip Shift eliminator, and powder coated square setup SS rims 1LE diffuser and dual mode mufflers, Z/28 headers and Cats, and a 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft . Upcoming mods 1LE hubs and and Z/28 Spoiler with Wicker for a 10-13.
olblue75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
gringo

Drives: Camaro
Of course it's way more fun to drive, it has 55+ more hp than your L99. Maybe next time, he'll give you a ZL1 loaner to try out? :rockon:
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
That's a real eye opener now, I didn't know the 2SS's were going for 30k already used with less than 10k miles.

That's a hell of a deal. I'll probably wait a little longer for a used 17 next year and make the switch on a slightly more used one.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Hey, you got the best color!

We have one touch TC Off/On. Only if you want to disable StabiliTrak do you need to hold the button.
If you want to use Competitive Driving Mode press the TC button twice.
Exactly the same as the 6th gen.

Did you mess with the Driver Modes?
Does your loaner have the Magnetic Ride?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
UBB

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I am tempted by the FIFTY model but the price makes it to tough
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss Convertible
I never get these type of loaners!!!! I get the shit box special. Geez, interest me in Z06.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
kingz

Drives: The best!!!!!!!
The reason why he gets THIS CAR TO INSTEAD OF THE POS YOU GUYS GET IS BECAUSE THE DEALER IS A CLOSE FRIEND
kingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #14
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs black on black
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingz View Post
The reason why he gets THIS CAR TO INSTEAD OF THE POS YOU GUYS GET IS BECAUSE THE DEALER IS A CLOSE FRIEND
Correct. However, as mentioned in OP, this tactic worked before as I fell in love with the 11 we have after he loaned it to me while repairing our Lincoln. I've got a thread about it.
I'm under the impression that the loaner was a 2SS/RS, but someone might know more than me on the brand new ones. I took it to a cruise in Sat nite. We own classic cars and understand most of these cruise ins are about oldies and new cars are relatively ignored. As I backed into a spot between a convertible Corvair and a 69 Belaire Wagon (w/a 396!) I heard some guys go "it's one of the new ones.....oh, it's BRAND NEW" at which point they crowded around it for a good look. I figured that would play out that way as we are all drawn to BRAND NEW cars like a moth to flame. If for no other reason just to get a sniff of new car interior.