Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Running my first half marathon

So guys on may 6th ill be running my first half marathon, Flying pig in cincinnati.

Any advice? Should i be packing water/ gel packets for carbs

Also mentally there is a large difference between treadmill and concrete, anything to prepare me?

I have about 3 weeks left and am capable of running it easily but its my first time running one.

thanks!
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Find out first if the marathon organizers are going to provide the gel packs/ water/ supplements en route: Many have tables set up every mile or two, with anything and everything you might need laid out on a table... you run by, grab whatcha want, and chow down. There will be trash cans a little further away... aim for them with your trash, but if you miss, don't sweat it: There are trash monitors standing by to get the misses... that's their job!

If the organizers are not providing that stuff, bring a couple of gel packs (they're small and easy to carry, no biggie), but more importantly, have water available. Either carry a couple of small bottles, have some stashed along the route ahead of time, or have a friend in a car (preferably a Camaro!) or on a bike carry some water for you.

As you've trained for it, if you regularly do four or five miles, and CAN do eight, you will be able to complete the half marathon... even if you need to walk partway, that's okay... many do. Not a disqualifier, not a scarlet letter of shame. Walk for a spell, then resume running!

Congrats, keep us posted: I truly admire folks who have the intensely strong willpower to train for and complete a distance running event!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Find out first if the marathon organizers are going to provide the gel packs/ water/ supplements en route: Many have tables set up every mile or two, with anything and everything you might need laid out on a table... you run by, grab whatcha want, and chow down. There will be trash cans a little further away... aim for them with your trash, but if you miss, don't sweat it: There are trash monitors standing by to get the misses... that's their job!

If the organizers are not providing that stuff, bring a couple of gel packs (they're small and easy to carry, no biggie), but more importantly, have water available. Either carry a couple of small bottles, have some stashed along the route ahead of time, or have a friend in a car (preferably a Camaro!) or on a bike carry some water for you.

As you've trained for it, if you regularly do four or five miles, and CAN do eight, you will be able to complete the half marathon... even if you need to walk partway, that's okay... many do. Not a disqualifier, not a scarlet letter of shame. Walk for a spell, then resume running!

Congrats, keep us posted: I truly admire folks who have the intensely strong willpower to train for and complete a distance running event!

I appreciate everything! I will post pictures when I finish!
I am actually running by myself as my family will be at a friends college graduation.

After reviewing the route it seems they have water stations every mile at minimum. Probably not the gel packets and I will have to carry a few..

Believe it or not I was a college football player and weighed 295 i am now down to 232ish... I run at minimum of 5+ miles a day 6 days a week. once a Week I complete a 9 mile run. I would have never thought running was for me but it is awesome.

At the same time I train completely different, I run with my mouth closed breathing only through my nose as well as I run on an empty stomach.

I am not sure if this is to my advantage or what but hey well find out!

BY The way can I run with an ipod or is that kind of a no no?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
So guys on may 6th ill be running my first half marathon, Flying pig in cincinnati.

Any advice? Should i be packing water/ gel packets for carbs

Also mentally there is a large difference between treadmill and concrete, anything to prepare me?

I have about 3 weeks left and am capable of running it easily but its my first time running one.

thanks!
I run 10 miles 4 times a week outdoors currently. I've also done 5 marathons over the years. Best advice I can give you is to get outdoors and try to go 5 miles. If you can go miles on concrete now, you'll be able to make the 13 miles somewhat easily if you push yourself. If you can only make it 2-3 miles though, its going to be a struggle. Start now, run every other day and try to go further and further. You should be at least 7 miles outdoors before attempting a half marathon.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
I run 10 miles 4 times a week outdoors currently. I've also done 5 marathons over the years. Best advice I can give you is to get outdoors and try to go 5 miles. If you can go miles on concrete now, you'll be able to make the 13 miles somewhat easily if you push yourself. If you can only make it 2-3 miles though, its going to be a struggle. Start now, run every other day and try to go further and further. You should be at least 7 miles outdoors before attempting a half marathon.
I ran 6 the other day outdoors. I think I'm ready it's just mentally this is more challenging than lining up across from another 300 lbs guy and whipping his butt. Beating myself is what will be the challenge.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
USAR1LT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
At one point, I would do a half-marathon "long run" every Sunday. Key is...I worked myself up to it. By the time I was doing 13.2 every Sunday, that was in addition to the other days on which I ran.

I'm no gifted physical specimen of the perfect runner; I'm a short, squatty fellow who just kept at it slowly and surely. Eventually, before you know it, you're ready for that half-marathon and can just keep it up!

My only advice (aside from echoing above) is do it younger. It's amazing how much simpler it was for me even 5 years ago. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have been more dedicated.

(And yup, I still run...I trick my knees into starting before they realize they should scream, "Hey, we hate this!")
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Sounds like you've got the proper training behind you... they say that the long runs are 90% mental, and there's some truth to that. But, that works to your advantage in an organized event because you're driven on by desire to succeed in front of all of those other people!

As far as iPodding it, I don't see why not. I see people competing, and iPodding, all the time. I don't, only because I have yet to figure out a way to prevent the wires and buds and head unit from causing me more trouble than it's worth. That, and most of the areas where I run alone are rural mountains, where mountain lions, occassional cars, and, as everywhere, humans with ill intent are ALL things to be on the alert for. So, I just keep my ears open. Anyway, during a race/ competition/ event, plenty of people do run with iPods... I say go for it.

And as far as age, sure, younger is better, but at a marathon I ran a couple of years ago, I was amazed to see how many were over 40... older than me (maybe a half to a third were over 40?). And... I got whupped by a lot of them ,too... and got passed up and permanently left in the dust by some in their 50s, 60, and 70s! I had feared that I'd look like like "the old geezer" put that at age 40, but I blended right in... because there are LOTS of geezers out there!

Again... good luck!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
NateSS
1337 AH64D driver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
the Ipod should be fine. There will be people that dont use one and dislike it but oh well.

I cant run without it. Especially on the 10 and 15 k's. The sound of my own breathing is boring and music also seems to get me pumped up if I have the right tunes.

I would say go for it. And congrats on going for your first half marathon.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAR2LT View Post
At one point, I would do a half-marathon "long run" every Sunday. Key is...I worked myself up to it. By the time I was doing 13.2 every Sunday, that was in addition to the other days on which I ran.

I'm no gifted physical specimen of the perfect runner; I'm a short, squatty fellow who just kept at it slowly and surely. Eventually, before you know it, you're ready for that half-marathon and can just keep it up!

My only advice (aside from echoing above) is do it younger. It's amazing how much simpler it was for me even 5 years ago. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have been more dedicated.

(And yup, I still run...I trick my knees into starting before they realize they should scream, "Hey, we hate this!")

Oh I understand that. I'm 24 and I already wake up in pain everyday due to injuries sustained in football.

Luckily I have (knock on wood) not injured my knees.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Sounds like you've got the proper training behind you... they say that the long runs are 90% mental, and there's some truth to that. But, that works to your advantage in an organized event because you're driven on by desire to succeed in front of all of those other people!

As far as iPodding it, I don't see why not. I see people competing, and iPodding, all the time. I don't, only because I have yet to figure out a way to prevent the wires and buds and head unit from causing me more trouble than it's worth. That, and most of the areas where I run alone are rural mountains, where mountain lions, occassional cars, and, as everywhere, humans with ill intent are ALL things to be on the alert for. So, I just keep my ears open. Anyway, during a race/ competition/ event, plenty of people do run with iPods... I say go for it.

And as far as age, sure, younger is better, but at a marathon I ran a couple of years ago, I was amazed to see how many were over 40... older than me (maybe a half to a third were over 40?). And... I got whupped by a lot of them ,too... and got passed up and permanently left in the dust by some in their 50s, 60, and 70s! I had feared that I'd look like like "the old geezer" put that at age 40, but I blended right in... because there are LOTS of geezers out there!

Again... good luck!
Thank god because I can't run without it. Damn add
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateSS View Post
the Ipod should be fine. There will be people that dont use one and dislike it but oh well.

I cant run without it. Especially on the 10 and 15 k's. The sound of my own breathing is boring and music also seems to get me pumped up if I have the right tunes.

I would say go for it. And congrats on going for your first half marathon.
I appreciate it. I have a couple things on the bucket list and running some halfs, full marathon, the Chicago and ny marathons. Then hopefully in two years I would like to do the iron man in hawaii
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
driyac

Well Gentleman and Women Wish me luck! I run tomorrow morning at 630am. Although I just found out I am not allowed to use headphones....

Apparently you are supposed to take in the ambiance when your running your balls off?

Last edited by driyac; 05-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Dr. Love

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Good luck!
1979 Berlinetta Light Blue Metallic - code 24

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfire1238 View Post
Think I may be in love with this.

Say what????
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
driyac

Well I finished it! Not ideal circumstances for me though, on my feet for 11 hours last night at work, did not go to sleep until 230 am and up at 440 am to go. Aroun mile 5 I started developing cramps anterior quads. Last 3 miles were pure will with full on cramps. Still Finished in 2 hours 12 minutes. It was a great experience and I look forward to do another. After all I will hopefully be lighter hell I weigh 235 hah.